Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2013, 2:17 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Storing cash still looks like money that you are trying to launder, just not right away.

I'm actually thinking about loading this with some Chase GCs and buying some money orders in some smaller amounts and depositing them. If I buy some from WM and Kroger, it would look like normal purchases. I could buy the MO right after loading, so I'm not spending any extra gas. I would pay a fee if I bought the MO directly anyway. That would satisfy GB, no?
Old Jul 19, 2013, 3:42 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
I'm confused. You'd pay the same fee whether you bought the money order directly with your Chase gift card or via your GoBank card. Why not just buy the MO's with your Chase Gift card--or do those gift cards not have PINs?
Old Jul 19, 2013, 6:42 am

Programs: SPG Gold; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CMHFlyerOH
I'm confused. You'd pay the same fee whether you bought the money order directly with your Chase gift card or via your GoBank card. Why not just buy the MO's with your Chase Gift card--or do those gift cards not have PINs?
The goal would be to show some normal purchase activity on the GB card. Whether this would be enough to satisfy GB is anyone's guess.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 6:44 am

Is ACH push working from any bank yet?

Chase wouldn't allow it when I tried a while ago...has GB changed their routing info yet to be unique from GD?

I'm wondering if some regular ACH pushes in irregular amounts might do the trick?
Old Jul 19, 2013, 8:06 am

Programs: SPG Gold; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BenH
Is ACH push working from any bank yet?

Chase wouldn't allow it when I tried a while ago...has GB changed their routing info yet to be unique from GD?

I'm wondering if some regular ACH pushes in irregular amounts might do the trick?
I just tried the other day with Citi; it didn't work, and I got a msg to the effect that I'm barred from future transfers with GB
Old Jul 19, 2013, 8:08 am

yes, I did it with a cashier. the MC GC worked, but the Metallic vanilla visa GC did not go through. I dont know whether it's bc of the gift card itself or bc of the Gb. The metallic visa GC worked when I load it to bb.

I couldn't load MC GC from Staples at WM Kiosks. All 3 attempts came back with errors.

I assume you did it with a cashier or CSR at Money Center?[/QUOTE]

Last edited by woaibama; Jul 19, 2013 at 8:13 am
Old Jul 19, 2013, 3:11 pm

Got an email from GoBank. Thought I was done. Turns out they just wanted me to watch them on TV!

TONIGHT, July 18 at 9pm (8pm CT), GoBank will be featured on the premiere episode of Lifetime's Project Runway! We'll be live-tweeting throughout the show, so be sure to follow us on Twitter.

GoBank is an official financial sponsor for the Emmy-nominated reality TV series about fashion design, and hosted by Heidi Klum.

So, set the DVR (and set it on repeat!) to watch as competing designers use GoBank to buy fabric (with our slick, black debit card), send money to each other, and watch their spending with Slide for Balance, the Money Vault and Fortune Teller. Let us know you're watching by tweeting @GoBank and @ProjectRunway.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 4:19 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by cashback
Got an email from GoBank. Thought I was done. Turns out they just wanted me to watch them on TV!

TONIGHT, July 18 at 9pm (8pm CT), GoBank will be featured on the premiere episode of Lifetime's Project Runway! We'll be live-tweeting throughout the show, so be sure to follow us on Twitter.

GoBank is an official financial sponsor for the Emmy-nominated reality TV series about fashion design, and hosted by Heidi Klum.

So, set the DVR (and set it on repeat!) to watch as competing designers use GoBank to buy fabric (with our slick, black debit card), send money to each other, and watch their spending with Slide for Balance, the Money Vault and Fortune Teller. Let us know you're watching by tweeting @GoBank and @ProjectRunway.
That's funny.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 8:27 pm

I got that email and I already AM done.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 9:11 pm

I wonder if those fashion models MFC spend...
Old Jul 20, 2013, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by rambro
Is there any point in trying to fight with them over reopening it? Or trying to open a new account?
You're banned for life now son on your SSN.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 12:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Linked gobank as an external account in Chase. I hope I will not have problems pulling money into chase checking from gobank.

Still waiting for the card though.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by slickpokerdealer
Linked gobank as an external account in Chase. I hope I will not have problems pulling money into chase checking from gobank.

Still waiting for the card though.
I don't know if you can "pull" from GB - I think you need to "push" from Chase - unless GB changed something in the past month. There were several reports (including mine) that Chase would now allow an ACH push to GB. GB was using the same routing # as Green Dot, and Chase was not permitting it due to possible fraud issues.

GB told me that they were supposed to be getting a new routing # just for GB, and when that happens some of these banks that are wary of GD might be able to push to them.

I expect a pull from GB, if they are using the same routing # they were in the past will also be rejected by Chase.

Let us know how it goes though, because a month ago this couldn't be accomplished.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 5:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BenH
I don't know if you can "pull" from GB - I think you need to "push" from Chase - unless GB changed something in the past month. There were several reports (including mine) that Chase would now allow an ACH push to GB. GB was using the same routing # as Green Dot, and Chase was not permitting it due to possible fraud issues.

GB told me that they were supposed to be getting a new routing # just for GB, and when that happens some of these banks that are wary of GD might be able to push to them.

I expect a pull from GB, if they are using the same routing # they were in the past will also be rejected by Chase.

Let us know how it goes though, because a month ago this couldn't be accomplished.
I am a little bit confused with this ACH "pull" and "push" terminology..

All I was planning to do was to login to my Chase account and initiate a transfer "FROM" gobank "TO" chase checking.. Do you mean that it would not work? I thought that it will work as per some posts here..
Old Jul 20, 2013, 8:23 pm

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by rambro
Is there any point in trying to fight with them over reopening it? Or trying to open a new account?
Originally Posted by compddd
You're banned for life now son on your SSN.
My experience with Green Dot has been this:

1. once they flag your SSN, you're flagged for all their products.

2. their products are not worth fighting for. you can't generate any kind of meaningful manufactured spend if you're willing to throw in a few swipe purchases, and yet they still ban you. Good riddance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.