Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Amazon Payments transaction shows as "Cash Advance" [Chase]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amazon Payments transaction shows as "Cash Advance" [Chase]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2013, 7:00 am

Programs: SPG Gold
wait, did we figure out if it was a glitch or user error, or Chase cards no go at AP?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 7:21 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
agree this should be closed. isolated incident (and possible user error). it's gonna get people all frazzled
Old Jan 14, 2013, 8:43 am

Programs: No preference
Originally Posted by alik99
wait, did we figure out if it was a glitch or user error, or Chase cards no go at AP?
NO GO!

Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:42 pm

What’s all this BS about not calling? I got hit with a CA fee on the IB card. I called and they reversed the fee. The CSR inquired what the charge was for. I explained it was actually a cash equivalent to meet the spend req on the IB so I get my 50k bonus. She thought that was brilliant.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:57 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by QL_714
What’s all this BS about not calling? I got hit with a CA fee on the IB card. I called and they reversed the fee. The CSR inquired what the charge was for. I explained it was actually a cash equivalent to meet the spend req on the IB so I get my 50k bonus. She thought that was brilliant.
Not everyone there will think it's brilliant.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Not everyone there will think it's brilliant.
Why not?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
You got extremely lucky, the CSR wasn't doing their job properly, or perhaps you benefited from a "once in awhile" courtesy credit to reverse a fee a customer is complaining about even if it's rightfully due.

The reason I say this is that most cardholder agreements these days say that the bank can charge the CA fee not only if the transaction is coded as a CA by the merchant, but even if it's coded as a purchase if what was purchased was a cash equivalent. And, the bank is interested in detecting these situations not just to get extra fees, but also because they often impose a lower credit limit for CAs and also if the customer uses them too frequently, it's an advance warning sign that the account may go south (such as if someone needs to use a CA in order to pay their mortgage - they probably have widespread financial issues and starting to default on a cc account may not be far off).
Old Jan 14, 2013, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Why not?
Because the bank may collect intelligence from cases where "false CA fees" are credited back. Based on what was said above, this particular bank now knows that these transactions actually are CAs based on direct testimony from a cardholder. Or at least they could have this institutional knowledge if it's logged and collected properly.

Having this knowledge, the bank may be in a position to deny such a credit to the next guy that calls in, or even become more aggressive as to coding transactions from that merchant as CAs.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Nottafatslob
... some guy from being late on his house payment for 2 months and ruining his credit and maybe his marriage because MIO ties up his families funds.
I would laugh were I to hear about such a situation. Something about just desserts, or reaping what you sow.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 4:49 pm

Programs: The Golden status boy
The only time I've ever called on a mistake is when OD wouldn't take my Ink for vanillas. They asked why I wanted to buy so many and I told them because I wanted a lot of points. They thanked me and the issue didn't get resolved. Next thing I know, they pulled all the cards in my area.

Terrible customer service.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 6:37 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

A dozen posts have been removed due to crude humor.

Last edited by mia; Jan 14, 2013 at 6:46 pm
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:43 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by spankytoes
The only time I've ever called on a mistake is when OD wouldn't take my Ink for vanillas. They asked why I wanted to buy so many and I told them because I wanted a lot of points. They thanked me and the issue didn't get resolved. Next thing I know, they pulled all the cards in my area.

Terrible customer service.
The problem here is not bad customer service.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by Steve M
Because the bank may collect intelligence from cases where "false CA fees" are credited back. Based on what was said above, this particular bank now knows that these transactions actually are CAs based on direct testimony from a cardholder. Or at least they could have this institutional knowledge if it's logged and collected properly.

Having this knowledge, the bank may be in a position to deny such a credit to the next guy that calls in, or even become more aggressive as to coding transactions from that merchant as CAs.
I never thought of it that way.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:21 am

Programs: Too many to list
Like my son would say "I think you trolling".
Don't give them bad ideas please.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
This subject, cash advances, has been covered "ad nauseam" here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-payments.html Please follow there. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.