Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Cashback on Amex GC through TopCashBack, BigCrumbs, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 25, 2013, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ericdabbs
Please read the wiki before posting a question.

UPDATE 01/17/15

BeFrugal: 1.5%
Big Crumbs: 0.9%
TopCashBack: 1.5%

For other cash back or airline portals, check here: http://www.cashbackmonitor.com/Cashb...erican+express

Public Service Announcement: Do NOT use fee-free codes if you want portal cashback / miles. CB/Miles will post and then be clawed back.

FAQ

Will it post as a cash advance (CA)?

Citi - Yes.

Cards from Chase, BoA, FIA, Barclay, AMEX, CapitalOne, US Bank, Discover, HSBC, etc., have posted as purchase. PNC Visa Cashbuilder - posts as purchase but does not earn CC rewards

Note: Some issuers (Discover, US Bank, etc.) will decline the authorization if it exceeds your CA limit. This does NOT mean it will post as CA. It simply means you need to lower the purchase amount below your CA limit for authorization, but it ultimately posts as a purchase.

How do I set PIN on AMEX Gift Cards and use as debit to load Bluebird, buy MOs, etc.
You cannot set PIN or use them as debit to load Bluebird, buy MOs, etc. You can only use them as credit where AMEX is accepted.

How do I cash out AMEX Gift Cards?
Use manufactured spend techniques (load RB, buy Visa/MC GCs, VRs, AP, AFT, etc.) or normal spend where AMEX is accepted.

Why buy AMEX Gift Cards then?
To reduce the cost of manufactured spend, to mask your manufactured spend (i.e unusual high spend at Target or CVS), earn additional cash back on spend, or meet minimum spend targets faster.

Next day shipping that isn't?
The next day shipping is from when they ship the cards to UPS, which can be as long as 10 days from the order submission if you order personalized cards (more recently this has been under a week). For next day shipping, you are notified late night (once your card finishes processing, see above) and the package arrive that same morning before 10:30AM in your area.

What is with the charge disappearing from my credit card?
Once the order is placed you will see a pending charge on your CC account. Quite often once the card ships this pending is removed but does not show as a charge. Don't panic (or celebrate) it will show up as a charge within a day or so.

Personalized GCs?
Either Biz or Personal GCs can be personalized with your name. This helps when shaky cashiers who demand to see your card are prevalent. These take approximately 4 biz days to arrive compared to the non personalized which arrives as quickly as the next day.

UPS Tracking?
If you logged in to your AMEX account when placing the order you can get tracking info by logging in to your AMEX account and clicking on cards > gift cards > order history > order details. Unfortunately tracking information may not appear until well after your order has shipped so it's best to sign up for UPS My Choice to get faster tracking info and reroute your package if needed. Since UPS may drop your package off at the door if you're not home, it will be useful to know when your package will arrive.

The portal terms indicate that coupon codes will invalidate cash back. Is this true?
Yes (as of July 2014)

What are the purchase limits? (Updated Dec 2014)
10K personal every 14 days
100K business every 14 days

Do declined orders count toward the purchase limits?
YMMV

Do fees and shipping count toward the purchase limits?
No

Why was my purchase declined by AMEX?
There are several possibilities:
- Your billing address does not match 100% with what the credit card company has on file. This could be anything from apt/suite/condo # on the wrong line to zip code requiring 9 digits instead of 5. If your first purchase does not go through, call your bank or login to your acct to verify that this matches what you used.
- You have gone over the $10k every 14 day limit on personal gift card purchase.
- Even if you are sure the first two are correct as you have ordered before on that card and it's been more than 14 days, you might still get declined. No one has any idea why.
- You placed a business order and you don't really have a business (at some point AMEX does a background check for a valid business) or you have exceeded the 14 day limit for business orders.

My order was declined but my credit card still shows a pending authorization. How long until this falls off and my credit line is freed up?
I typically takes 1 week for the pending authorization to fall off after a declined order.

Can I order from the business side using a personal card? Or does it need to be a business card?
You can use whatever credit card you want to pay for business or personal orders. About the only restriction is you can't use an AMEX GC to buy another AMEX GC.

How long will it take the portal to track my order and confirm the pending cash back or points?
For non-Cartera portals (TCB, BC, Befrugal, etc) your order will usually track within a day or two.
For Cartera portals (Barclay Reward Boost, Lucky Rewards, USAA, Alaska, Delta) it will take 3-4 weeks to track.

My orders are not tracking. How can I maximize the chances the portal will track my order properly?
Use a browser you do not normally use (Chrome, Firefox, Opera), reset all browser settings to defaults, clear all browser cookies, disable all browser add-ons, and close/re-start your browser before navigating to the portal and placing your order. Do NOT use promotional coupon codes. The vast majority of tracking issues result from use of coupon codes, a bad browser cookie, improperly configured browser settings, or add-ons that interfere with cookie tracking.
Print Wikipost

Cashback on Amex GC through TopCashBack, BigCrumbs, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
Interesting data point happened to me today. I use all of the AGC for expenses and not MS. Any point bonuses I get (through portals) are worth it to me. I got an email from a vendor who was called by AMEX to verify that spending I did was for actual business expenses. I had invoices paid. She told me that she even called AMEX to verify it was not a phishing call. I wonder if they are taking a look at the high value business gift cards to make sure other things are not happening.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by robertw477
Interesting data point happened to me today. I use all of the AGC for expenses and not MS. Any point bonuses I get (through portals) are worth it to me. I got an email from a vendor who was called by AMEX to verify that spending I did was for actual business expenses. I had invoices paid. She told me that she even called AMEX to verify it was not a phishing call. I wonder if they are taking a look at the high value business gift cards to make sure other things are not happening.
Hmm. Then a lot of CVS' phones might be ringing.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: DL DM-1MM HH Diamond
What sort of vendor? Maybe it is their business model that is suspect?
Old Sep 5, 2014, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by 2B or back in coach
What sort of vendor? Maybe it is their business model that is suspect?
this. Can not see any other reason why they would be calling a vendor if there was no chargeback involved.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by jtrue28
So I have been told twice now, that the waiting period is 14 business days. So not counting weekends or holidays, that would put 14 days for me at 9/10 or 9/11, respectively.

I have asked multiple times if the 14 day window resets every time I get denied. They have all said that denials do not effect the 14 day period.

Is this accurate at all?
What I believe to be true is:

14 calendar days for personal cards for most people. There are others that report that this does not apply to them, but all my attempts to test shorter periods yield declines.

If you have a denied request, it blocks the ability to place another order for that amount for a while. May be 24 hours, but I was told that once it is no longer showing as a hold on your credit card, it has been restored to your available purchase limit. Waiting until it is no longer showing as a pending purchase on the credit card has worked for me.

If you attempt to make more than 5K in requests using the same credit card for purchases in 24 hours, it will decline those purchases (ie, I had the AMEX guy on the line, and he told me to put through another purchase while on the line so he could approve it, and then he realized he had forgotten about the block on the credit card after 5K has already been tried in that 24 hour period).
Old Sep 5, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
Okay, so here's another data point.

I signed my wife up, with her SS#, and under her personal AMEX account last night. She has never purchased gift cards, and certainly not with her AMEX card...so everything should have been good to go.

Denied.

The only common link between her purchase and mine is that the billing/shipping addresses are exactly the same (just different names). The billing address was directly copied from one of the AMEX statements on their website...so that matched.

The error that was given was "exceeded your limit". What limit? She had never purchased gift cards.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 1:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Ambassador
This makes little sense. Biz GCs aren't marketed as bill paying instruments, but as ways to reward employees etc. Even for non-MS users, I can't imagine there are a lot of business expenses paid with these.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 1:16 pm

If true, seems like some privacy issues here. robertw477, maybe you are in line for a nice settlement.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Okay, so here's another data point.

I signed my wife up, with her SS#, and under her personal AMEX account last night. She has never purchased gift cards, and certainly not with her AMEX card...so everything should have been good to go.

Denied.

The only common link between her purchase and mine is that the billing/shipping addresses are exactly the same (just different names). The billing address was directly copied from one of the AMEX statements on their website...so that matched.

The error that was given was "exceeded your limit". What limit? She had never purchased gift cards.
Call them up and figure out what was wrong. In my case they have picked up a wrong address from some report and were denying all my requests. After talking to some indian CSR I figured out what was wrong with the address, corrected it and there had been no denials since (excluding cases when I tested limits )
Old Sep 5, 2014, 4:59 pm

Doesn't make much sense. Let's say I got a bonus for something with a AGC. So I paid my bills. Or bought groceries. Or whatever. Why AX should care how I use my money. There's no stipulation that I must use it for business expenses. On the contrary, it says "can be used everywhere where Amex is accepted" I suspect something else is going on here.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by HikerT
Yes, but harder to liquidate, particularly if your goal is to MS. Worth the effort if you are getting extra juice from portal CB. But at 0% somewhat pointless.
Sometimes for me these are easier to liquidate. When I'm in the road I trigger lots if fraud alerts making one $500 purchase after another. The fraud alerts aren't a big deal but they can lead to eyes on my account which I never want. Miami gets me fraud alerts almost every time. But Miami has the most pharmacies in the world!

Id rather use an Anex GC for those purchases as the card is never declined for a fraud alert.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 6:55 pm

I want to buy some smaller denoms as gifts all to different addresses (maybe $150 x3). What's the cheapest way to do this right now? I know there was that free year of shipping a few months ago but I think that's gone now. Is there a way to get purchase fees and shipping fees waived?
Old Sep 5, 2014, 7:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by wonderboy
Is there a way to get purchase fees and shipping fees waived?
FPWED waives the purchase fee thru 9/30. If you don't have free shipping already, you'd probably be better off buying a variable load visa or mc at the grocery store or pharmacy and mailing them yourself.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by skitch23
FPWED waives the purchase fee thru 9/30. If you don't have free shipping already, you'd probably be better off buying a variable load visa or mc at the grocery store or pharmacy and mailing them yourself.
Thanks for that purchase code. I don't have the 1 year of free shipping, but could I still get the 90 days of free shipping trial?
Old Sep 6, 2014, 12:27 am

MrRebates is no longer listing any CB for anyone who can update the wiki.
But a few new places I'm unfamiliar with are now popping up at 1% over at cashbackmonitor

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.