Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Cashback on Amex GC through TopCashBack, BigCrumbs, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 25, 2013, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ericdabbs
Please read the wiki before posting a question.

UPDATE 01/17/15

BeFrugal: 1.5%
Big Crumbs: 0.9%
TopCashBack: 1.5%

For other cash back or airline portals, check here: http://www.cashbackmonitor.com/Cashb...erican+express

Public Service Announcement: Do NOT use fee-free codes if you want portal cashback / miles. CB/Miles will post and then be clawed back.

FAQ

Will it post as a cash advance (CA)?

Citi - Yes.

Cards from Chase, BoA, FIA, Barclay, AMEX, CapitalOne, US Bank, Discover, HSBC, etc., have posted as purchase. PNC Visa Cashbuilder - posts as purchase but does not earn CC rewards

Note: Some issuers (Discover, US Bank, etc.) will decline the authorization if it exceeds your CA limit. This does NOT mean it will post as CA. It simply means you need to lower the purchase amount below your CA limit for authorization, but it ultimately posts as a purchase.

How do I set PIN on AMEX Gift Cards and use as debit to load Bluebird, buy MOs, etc.
You cannot set PIN or use them as debit to load Bluebird, buy MOs, etc. You can only use them as credit where AMEX is accepted.

How do I cash out AMEX Gift Cards?
Use manufactured spend techniques (load RB, buy Visa/MC GCs, VRs, AP, AFT, etc.) or normal spend where AMEX is accepted.

Why buy AMEX Gift Cards then?
To reduce the cost of manufactured spend, to mask your manufactured spend (i.e unusual high spend at Target or CVS), earn additional cash back on spend, or meet minimum spend targets faster.

Next day shipping that isn't?
The next day shipping is from when they ship the cards to UPS, which can be as long as 10 days from the order submission if you order personalized cards (more recently this has been under a week). For next day shipping, you are notified late night (once your card finishes processing, see above) and the package arrive that same morning before 10:30AM in your area.

What is with the charge disappearing from my credit card?
Once the order is placed you will see a pending charge on your CC account. Quite often once the card ships this pending is removed but does not show as a charge. Don't panic (or celebrate) it will show up as a charge within a day or so.

Personalized GCs?
Either Biz or Personal GCs can be personalized with your name. This helps when shaky cashiers who demand to see your card are prevalent. These take approximately 4 biz days to arrive compared to the non personalized which arrives as quickly as the next day.

UPS Tracking?
If you logged in to your AMEX account when placing the order you can get tracking info by logging in to your AMEX account and clicking on cards > gift cards > order history > order details. Unfortunately tracking information may not appear until well after your order has shipped so it's best to sign up for UPS My Choice to get faster tracking info and reroute your package if needed. Since UPS may drop your package off at the door if you're not home, it will be useful to know when your package will arrive.

The portal terms indicate that coupon codes will invalidate cash back. Is this true?
Yes (as of July 2014)

What are the purchase limits? (Updated Dec 2014)
10K personal every 14 days
100K business every 14 days

Do declined orders count toward the purchase limits?
YMMV

Do fees and shipping count toward the purchase limits?
No

Why was my purchase declined by AMEX?
There are several possibilities:
- Your billing address does not match 100% with what the credit card company has on file. This could be anything from apt/suite/condo # on the wrong line to zip code requiring 9 digits instead of 5. If your first purchase does not go through, call your bank or login to your acct to verify that this matches what you used.
- You have gone over the $10k every 14 day limit on personal gift card purchase.
- Even if you are sure the first two are correct as you have ordered before on that card and it's been more than 14 days, you might still get declined. No one has any idea why.
- You placed a business order and you don't really have a business (at some point AMEX does a background check for a valid business) or you have exceeded the 14 day limit for business orders.

My order was declined but my credit card still shows a pending authorization. How long until this falls off and my credit line is freed up?
I typically takes 1 week for the pending authorization to fall off after a declined order.

Can I order from the business side using a personal card? Or does it need to be a business card?
You can use whatever credit card you want to pay for business or personal orders. About the only restriction is you can't use an AMEX GC to buy another AMEX GC.

How long will it take the portal to track my order and confirm the pending cash back or points?
For non-Cartera portals (TCB, BC, Befrugal, etc) your order will usually track within a day or two.
For Cartera portals (Barclay Reward Boost, Lucky Rewards, USAA, Alaska, Delta) it will take 3-4 weeks to track.

My orders are not tracking. How can I maximize the chances the portal will track my order properly?
Use a browser you do not normally use (Chrome, Firefox, Opera), reset all browser settings to defaults, clear all browser cookies, disable all browser add-ons, and close/re-start your browser before navigating to the portal and placing your order. Do NOT use promotional coupon codes. The vast majority of tracking issues result from use of coupon codes, a bad browser cookie, improperly configured browser settings, or add-ons that interfere with cookie tracking.
Print Wikipost

Cashback on Amex GC through TopCashBack, BigCrumbs, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2014, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by f0xx
I never said anything about it being privileged information.
Slickdeals has increasingly been promoting more and more credit cards and MS tips.

I understand most people won't buy it, but it's those that do and make stupid mistakes trying to liquidate that cause more stress on our hobby.
Yet none of them are wetting their pants about declines due to information verification or points not tracking the next day or "my points posted" spam.

And the gift keeps on giving such that their newbs don't have to sift through all that junk, so there is a chance they will actually read the thread.

A couple cartera nightmare stories, no GC liquidation description and only one epeen post, so all in all no concerns.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 7:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
When you see threads like this...
http://slickdeals.net/f/6944600-barc...shipping-8-95?

You know you're doomed.
Ha. This comment on that thread made me laugh.

Lots of acronyms here. Can you explain MS, VC, and BB?
One thing that I have learned from Slickdeals is that many many people on there don't MS. Sure they do the deals when they see them posted but that's it. So many people on the Serve thread when it first started with Isis just b/c of the bonus. But then they all wanted to know if they could close it or how to get money out of the ATM i.e. not knowing the benefit and this was BEFORE CVS shutdown. I also spent a long thread trying to explain to people on another thread the benefits of Serve. Apparently I was being too nice.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 9:53 am

TopCashBack: 2.25% on Amex Gift Cards, but changes in fees, BigCrumbs 2%.

Anyone have issues paying federal taxes with the business AGCs?
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:23 am

FINALLY ...2 approved orders ...
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:41 am

When you see threads like this...
http://slickdeals.net/f/6944600-barc...shipping-8-95?

You know you're doomed.
There is a "deal" on Barclay's?!! How'd I miss that??
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:43 am

For those without a Barclay card and access to the RB portal, what's worth more: 4% cb via BeFrugal or LuckyRewards or 3x miles on Alaska or Delta?

I know this is very subjective; however, I'm looking to maximize my traveling. I went with LR on my first order to offset fees from other MS avenues, but am wondering if I'm better off with Alaska or Delta and if so which one (based in NYC).
Old Jun 4, 2014, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by thoughts1053
For those without a Barclay card and access to the RB portal, what's worth more: 4% cb via BeFrugal or LuckyRewards or 3x miles on Alaska or Delta?

I know this is very subjective; however, I'm looking to maximize my traveling. I went with LR on my first order to offset fees from other MS avenues, but am wondering if I'm better off with Alaska or Delta and if so which one (based in NYC).
At this point, Befrugal with some Alaska thrown in.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 1:12 pm

Programs: Former UA 1K, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IC AMB
I like that Barclays RB posts and pays out somewhat regularly: on Sat about 3-4 weeks after the order. Since I've been ordering $2K every week since Mar-Apr, I'm at a point where a past order posts every week.

I'm not sure about BF or LR's posting and payout schedules...I think one of them is once a quarter. But it might be beneficial to some since it's straight cash back. And they track on their sites much faster...like within a few days of purchase.

I have few AS and DL miles...but if you're halfway to a decent redemption, then I can see how 3X miles is more worthwhile for you.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by cdancer20
Ha. This comment on that thread made me laugh.

One thing that I have learned from Slickdeals is that many many people on there don't MS. Sure they do the deals when they see them posted but that's it. So many people on the Serve thread when it first started with Isis just b/c of the bonus. But then they all wanted to know if they could close it or how to get money out of the ATM i.e. not knowing the benefit and this was BEFORE CVS shutdown. I also spent a long thread trying to explain to people on another thread the benefits of Serve. Apparently I was being too nice.
Does "the hobby" need anymore Internet converts than walk in the door on their own?
Old Jun 4, 2014, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by carpentry4thought
Does "the hobby" need anymore Internet converts than walk in the door on their own?
True, I appreciate Cdancer trying to educate people on SD, but I'm still nervous of intentionally going to other forums and giving this more exposure than usual.

Seems the people on SD don't know/care about VGCs liquidation, but telling them and increasing the number of people that may mess up or cause suspicion at stores is not a good thing IMO...

Let them do their AP methods and if they're looking for better RORs, they can do their own searching. It's those that are willing to put time into doing research that will do well and not mess up/cause suspicion when buying VGCs or similar...
Old Jun 4, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
I've seen it on multiple forums.
Even on websites FICOForums where people that have messed up credit go and/or are learning to build credit.

You know something is off when someone wants a card just because it's "metal".

Common question, "How does one spend $X (insert dollar amount here) for the bonus? I barely spend $X a month.

Le sigh.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by hitman1420
True, I appreciate Cdancer trying to educate people on SD, but I'm still nervous of intentionally going to other forums and giving this more exposure than usual.

Seems the people on SD don't know/care about VGCs liquidation, but telling them and increasing the number of people that may mess up or cause suspicion at stores is not a good thing IMO...

Let them do their AP methods and if they're looking for better RORs, they can do their own searching. It's those that are willing to put time into doing research that will do well and not mess up/cause suspicion when buying VGCs or similar...

I was on SD for many years (still am) prior to joining FT. I was doing MS, but more by google searches, blogs etc. However, once I got directed to FT, it certainly has changed how I MS.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You want the door closed right behind you, I guess.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum

Alaska miles can be used for Alaska Air (of course), Delta, and American domestically and internationally and several international partners internationally. They allow one-ways on American just like AA miles do (12.5K each way). Delta is 25K round trip domestic just like DL miles are. Only disadvantage is you can only use Alaska miles on the lowest level redemptions. So if you'd be wanting to pay mid or high level for an award, you'd be better off with Delta miles. Alaska provides more flexibility but only at saver levels.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by hitman1420

Hence why I didn't go into explanation of ways to liquidate. I've given up on it. If someone PMs me and asks though, I will share.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.