Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Kiva to manufacture spend

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2014, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
Originally Posted by sharka
Can you clarify--Does Kiva loans have a cap per quarter of $2000 or is the cap put on all individual CC ?

Also, does anyone know if Kiva accepts the Amex gold charge card?
Kiva processes payments through PayPal so you can use any credit card. Kiva has no limits, but your credit card may have a bonus limit.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 1:40 am

I realize this method isn't as popular as it once was (Cash+ 6.875% FTW); however, is there any interest in an automated, algorithmic manner by which to transact Kiva loans? I know a guy, that knows a person that might have crafted a nifty program.

I recall a period (beginning mid 2013) when the "best" loans began mysteriously disappearing en masse--uncharacteristically quickly--to a select, anonymous few. Toodles!
Old Feb 11, 2015, 3:37 pm

Kiva

I haven't seen anyone mention kiva in a while, although I know there's a flyertalk kiva team, so obviously people here know about kiva.

I find it pretty accepting in terms of paying with GC. It takes AGC and OV too which I find them hard to liquidate these days (I don't have walmart or redbird near me).

Just a question: am I missing something or is there a reason people don't use Kiva more? I'm not talking about high volume MS here. Just to liquidate those AGCs that you get once in a while when befrugal decides to give you a cashback (rare opportunity these days). I understand that you don't get your money back right away, but it's not like cash in the bank is earning much these days either. Is there a danger in withdrawing your kiva balance to paypal, even repeatedly? I'm not talking about adding kiva credit and withdrawing right away, but rather after you get paid back, so you're not just "using" kiva to liquidate without ever lending.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by nyold
Just a question: am I missing something or is there a reason people don't use Kiva more?

Is there a danger in withdrawing your kiva balance to paypal, even repeatedly? I'm not talking about adding kiva credit and withdrawing right away, but rather after you get paid back, so you're not just "using" kiva to liquidate without ever lending.
This was posted earlier in this thread, and gives a reason:

Originally Posted by farwest101
The problem with Kiva is they don't like MSers. They'll lock your account if you do too much lending/withdrawing and rather than seeing automatic transfers, you'll end up having to manually request repayment.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21880706-post106.html
Old Feb 15, 2015, 6:33 pm

Programs: Several dozen
For me it was an increase in delinquent accounts. Once I began to diversify out of my usual niche (Paraguay - food and clothing vendors), the delinquency rate rapidly increased (especially on longer term loans and loans to improve housing). Not the loss rate, just the delinquency rate, but it elevated my perception of risk across the couple hundred loans I have funded, so I pulled back.

>Just a question: am I missing something or is there a reason people don't use Kiva more?
Old Feb 15, 2015, 6:42 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by nyold
I haven't seen anyone mention kiva in a while, although I know there's a flyertalk kiva team, so obviously people here know about kiva.

I find it pretty accepting in terms of paying with GC. It takes AGC and OV too which I find them hard to liquidate these days (I don't have walmart or redbird near me).

Just a question: am I missing something or is there a reason people don't use Kiva more? I'm not talking about high volume MS here. Just to liquidate those AGCs that you get once in a while when befrugal decides to give you a cashback (rare opportunity these days). I understand that you don't get your money back right away, but it's not like cash in the bank is earning much these days either. Is there a danger in withdrawing your kiva balance to paypal, even repeatedly? I'm not talking about adding kiva credit and withdrawing right away, but rather after you get paid back, so you're not just "using" kiva to liquidate without ever lending.
I got shut down by my bank for making too many transfers from Paypal to my bank account.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:27 am

Programs: Amex FHR elite travel agent, Ritz Stars, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons Preferred Partner and others
Does anyone know for sure if the Flexperks American Express codes Kiva purchases as charity? My first statement closed and it did not, however, they advised in the terms that it can take up to 60 days for charitable spend to post.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by chewy3
Does anyone know for sure if the Flexperks American Express codes Kiva purchases as charity? My first statement closed and it did not, however, they advised in the terms that it can take up to 60 days for charitable spend to post.
I can confirm that it does.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 12:31 pm

I keep using it. Used it to MS the entire $1500 on my Discover card 5% 4Q cashback - I do this every year.
Also use it sometimes to complete minimum spendings for new cards (like, I'm missing $60 bucks, just make 3 loans and I'm done with it).
$12k lent over time (5+ years), less than $30 lost in defaults and currency exchange losses in all that time (Discover pays me $75 every year on Kiva loans, so profit overall).
Old Feb 24, 2015, 5:36 am

Programs: Amex FHR elite travel agent, Ritz Stars, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons Preferred Partner and others
Originally Posted by js80
I can confirm that it does.
Did the extra points post right at statement close or did it take longer?

This is odd to me because on the Visa they post at statement close so it doesn't make why the Amex would be different.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 7:55 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
I am still on Kiva and have done over 1000 loans. My best payback has been from Mongolia, the worst is Kenya. I think I own part of half the taxi's in Mongolia!!

Cheers!
JudyJFLA
Old Oct 23, 2015, 8:05 pm

Here's a tip. Don't lend to anyone in Africa. They have the highest default rate. I think a lot of people over there use it as a scam to get free money without the intention of ever paying it back.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Rinzler
Here's a tip. Don't lend to anyone in Africa. They have the highest default rate. I think a lot of people over there use it as a scam to get free money without the intention of ever paying it back.
I'll just play devil's advocate. Maybe centuries of exploitation by other countries (which has continues to some extent in the present day) has made the socioeconomic landscape so bad that a lot of people default on these loans despite their best efforts.

I mean, it doesn't change the business decision of not lending to Africa if you want a better chance of repayment. But it does change the view of the intentions of the people in Africa.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Rinzler
Actually, several African partners have pretty low delinquency/default rates.

I can confirm flexperks Amex does not earn bonus charity spend on Kiva but the Visa does still.

Flexperks froze my acct for 1.5 months without explanation (probably too large a volume of kiva loans), but it was unceremoniously unfrozen also without notice.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by chewy3
Actually, several African partners have pretty low delinquency/default rates.

I can confirm flexperks Amex does not earn bonus charity spend on Kiva but the Visa does still.

Flexperks froze my acct for 1.5 months without explanation (probably too large a volume of kiva loans), but it was unceremoniously unfrozen also without notice.
What kind of volume were you doing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.