Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2012, 8:07 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Ok I'm at OD right now. Bad, bad news. Someone just called (within 10 minutes of opening time) and the person said "We don't carry that product anymore." The guy then went into detail with a co worker about how they weren't carrying reloads anymore. They will be carrying a different Amex Prepaid apparently, but max load with a debit or credit card is $200. The Amex Prepaid and Bean section is cleared out, all price tags removed, all product removed, and replaced with blank white placards. I'll take a picture with my phone and I'll try to post it when I get home.
Almost an hour after the above post and no replies? Everyone jump in their cars and run to OD?
Old Nov 10, 2012, 8:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Preacher7
There were some naysayers last week warning that the AX no-fee HHonors card won't get 6X points at WalMarts. I just got my statement and I can ABSOLUTELY CONFIRM that AX codes purchases at Neighborhood WMs as grocery stores and gives 6X! WM supercenters aren't coded as grocery, but NWMs are! And of course Chase codes WM as grocery.
Thanks for the datapoint but kind of useless as WM is hard coded at the register to charge cash only for reload packs. I am certain once they get beans the same applies.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 8:26 am

It was nice to walk into an OD yesterday evening in southern california and see a couple buying an entire stack of vanilla reloads, leaving not a single card on the rack. They were kind enough to explain to the clerk and the manager that it wasn't fraud, all the ins and outs of points and miles, and even remind them that they filled out the survey on the receipt.

This is how deals like this die, and also how accounts get shut down.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by ricohitman
I'm pretty sure this is city by city. I was just in my fav OD yesterday and saw immense stock...
Right, but this isn't an out of stock situation. I was at the Framingham, MA OD for what it is worth, which never seemed to have any anyway.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
The Amex Prepaid and Bean section is cleared out, all price tags removed, all product removed, and replaced with blank white placards. I'll take a picture with my phone and I'll try to post it when I get home.
Sorry for the blurry picture. This is what the OD looked like as of about 2 hours ago.

Old Nov 10, 2012, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by gardengirl
Almost an hour after the above post and no replies? Everyone jump in their cars and run to OD?
With all the decoy reports, perhaps people who claim that OD is shutting beans should show some proof. If not then it's probably fear-mongering...
Old Nov 10, 2012, 9:01 am

My guess is all the normal thread participants are at their local OD. We should know by the end of the day if this only applies to certain stores or if it is indeed some kind of nationwide change.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Rommie2k6:19659055
Originally Posted by gardengirl
With all the decoy reports, perhaps people who claim that OD is shutting beans should show some proof. If not then it's probably fear-mongering...
Lol... Proof positive posted literally at the same time of this statement. Could still be isolated but looks like many will suffer the same fate as those of us not fortunate to have lived near generous ODs in the first place.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 9:14 am

Programs: many
DEAD.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 9:20 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, AAdvantage, Alaska, BAEC, Marriott, Hawaiian, Hilton HHonors
Office Depot is nothing more than a retailer for the Vanilla product. They do not own the program
so it doesn't make any sense that they would decide on their own to not offer it as a sale that
they make a profit on. I went into an OD yesterday and found almost fifty of the cards. I purchased
four and loaded $500 on each one using a credit card with no issue at all from the cashier.
If anyone might whine about abuse one day it could only come from American Express
and their Bluebird product since that is where any financial loss could actually occur.
Certainly OD isn't going to lose a penny if they sell a thousand cards a day so I think it's
nonsense to worry about them.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by atanac
I went into an OD yesterday and found almost fifty of the cards.
Lots of people bought them yesterday. Today is the day folks are reporting them pulled. What we are all waiting for is a report of cards on the rack today.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iahphx
Anything better than this? I have a Hilton AMEX, but candidly I'd value 6 Hilton points at about 2 cents. Worth it, but barely.
HH Diamond status for $40K annual spend on the Surpass/Citi HH card might tip the scale a bit that way.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by atanac
Office Depot is nothing more than a retailer for the Vanilla product. They do not own the program
so it doesn't make any sense that they would decide on their own to not offer it as a sale that
they make a profit on. I went into an OD yesterday and found almost fifty of the cards. I purchased
four and loaded $500 on each one using a credit card with no issue at all from the cashier.
If anyone might whine about abuse one day it could only come from American Express
and their Bluebird product since that is where any financial loss could actually occur.
Certainly OD isn't going to lose a penny if they sell a thousand cards a day so I think it's
nonsense to worry about them.
That assumes that OD was making money on these. Even if they were on the sale, there obviously is some sort of issue with it that some stores are pulling it. It might be store by store, but my closest OD has pulled the cards and will not be selling them. That is established to me, and I will not expect the store to have any of the cards in the future and won't bother looking for them there. It might be different for other stores, but obviously this has reached some level with OD where some stores are no longer carrying them. Hopefully everyone else's OD is not affected, but we have two reports from LAS and now the Boston area of stores outright pulling the product.

Originally Posted by ddallas
Lots of people bought them yesterday. Today is the day folks are reporting them pulled. What we are all waiting for is a report of cards on the rack today.
Correct. I don't think anyone will report it, but most ODs open at 9AM, and it is only 11:26 in the east. West coast stores aren't even open yet, and not everyone wakes up early. I also assume nobody will report a store in any remotely specific area that DOES have them. Everything will go close to the vest now.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 9:43 am

It's a federal crackdown. They want to easily see the paper-trail.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by scwam
It's a federal crackdown. They want to easily see the paper-trail.
By who and why?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.