Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

New Possibility with Square for the VERY Aggressive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Possibility with Square for the VERY Aggressive

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2012, 8:55 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by abcx
LOL. You forgot the big arrows and red circles. The guys who read his blog must be real idiots - it's so hard to find and click the "redeem award" link and follow the instructions without MMS' arrows and diagrams.
The dude makes money (a living? dunno if he has another job) doing what we all love doing and distracts us from our real work. As much as I love my own job, being employed in my guilty pleasure would be much cooler, so beyond criticism for me...

Originally Posted by abcx
Out of curiosity, can one of you guys who have businesses and accept cards list the costs for some common cards (Sapphire, SPG, Amex Gold, etc.)?
Here's what I pay to accept cards. It's different for merchants based on what you negotiate with the banks (which basically comes down to how much you process per year).

Yearly:
--$94.75 for some compliance insurance BS

Monthly:
--$10 for mobile app & online terminal (90% of my transactions are card not present phoned in--occasionally on site at events)

Per Transaction:
--$0.20

Per Swipe:
--1.75% for "Visa/MC/Discover Discount" and "Non-PIN Debit" (my guess is this is a non-reward card, gift cards, etc)
--2.15% for "Visa/MC/Discover Mid-Qualified Discount" (my guess is this is the gold/platinum level cards)
--2.65% for "Visa/MC/Discover Non-Qualified Discount" (so Visa Signature cards, MC World Elite, etc)
--2.89% for Amex Charge/Credit cards
--1.95% for Amex Pre-Paid and gift cards

I run about $150k or so in transactions per year--mostly debit and premium cards from what I see when I run them in person (admittedly small sample size).
Old Aug 18, 2012, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

DC777Fan -

Thanks for posting. Looks like you have a "5 tier" system. I think I had a 3 tier once.

The way I work now is with an "interchange plus" account. I get the actual interchange rates, plus, I think (it's been a while since I negotiated it) 10 basis points. Plus fees for things like chargebacks, and, of course, payment processor fees.

So I could have something like 30 different rates.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by DC777Fan
Here's what I pay to accept cards.
Do you sell any 10k+ items with a liberal return policy?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 8:52 am

Programs: ALL :)
Originally Posted by Xelint
Here ya go....pretty pictures and all ^

https://squareup.com/
Now all we have to do is get our Square coded as Office Supplies and a contract with INCOMM and we are millionaires.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 9:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by steventravel
Now all we have to do is get our Square coded as Office Supplies and a contract with INCOMM and we are millionaires.
Not with that sort of business planning
Old Feb 7, 2013, 9:58 am

I know from experience that Square will likely shut the account down for suspicious activity, after that whatever funds are in the account will likely 1) get returned on the card(s) 2) sit in the account for 30 days until they release it. Not a worthy proposition in my opinion. Plus, Square still has no immediate way of contacting their CS, their phone number leads to a VM and their online form takes ~ 48 hours for a response.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:35 pm

all these reward cards for me are usually 2.2% and up, somehow we manage to stay right under 2% total processing costs for almost $1million a year in processing.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: aa
Has anybody whose been shut down by square get a second chance?I just got myself a reader and having doubts.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:40 pm

how did you get shutdown?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by killercut
all these reward cards for me are usually 2.2% and up, somehow we manage to stay right under 2% total processing costs for almost $1million a year in processing.
Are you referring to a traditional merchant account here?

Do you accept cards in person or online/phone?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 1:58 pm

yes traditional, in person/store
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by jada135
Has anybody whose been shut down by square get a second chance?I just got myself a reader and having doubts.
No personal experience but I've never heard of anyone being able to get a 2nd chance after a square shutdown.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 3:20 pm

Programs: ALL :)
If you do this method slow and steady it could work...
Old Feb 11, 2013, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by steventravel
If you do this method slow and steady it could work...
Are you trying to boost your post count for some reason? You've made a pretty deliberate effort to reply to nearly every thread on the board in the past 20 min or so
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Stoughton
Are you trying to boost your post count for some reason? You've made a pretty deliberate effort to reply to nearly every thread on the board in the past 20 min or so
You reply with snide comments to nearly every thread on the board, about every 20 minutes or so too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.