Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Royal MINT (UK) - For the UK FlyerTalker members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2012, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond.

Hi all,

I was purchasing a LONDON 2012 Sports Collection for the 50p COINS, and noticed that they are offering the 2009, 2010 AND 2011 'Countdown to London 2012' £5 for £5 pack.

For two of them you can purchase a maximum of 9 each (i think it was 2009 and 2010) BUT for the 2011 coin you can buy up to 99 coins.

The p&p is £2.95 flat. So this would be a great way of increasing your CC points for FREE if you

a) Already are looking to get some London 2012 coins

b) Dont mind paying the £2.95 postage fee

Sounds like a good deal to me.

http://www.royalmint.com/store/BritishBase/LUKC2.aspx

http://www.royalmint.com/store/BritishBase/LUKC3.aspx

http://www.royalmint.com/store/BritishBase/LUKC1.aspx

Thoughts?

Not as good as the MINT deal in the USA (Which I happened to take advantage of while I was living in the USA) but still might interest some people

Last edited by Rizla; Jan 6, 2012 at 11:46 am Reason: Finish sentance
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:37 pm

Programs: Several dozen
The South Texas Coin Laundry will gladly help the UK with its excess inventory problem. How easy would it be to get a UK mail drop and go postal with this?

Originally Posted by Rizla
Hi all,

I was purchasing a LONDON 2012 Sports Collection for the 50p COINS, and noticed that they are offering the 2009, 2010 AND 2011 'Countdown to London 2012' £5 for £5 pack.

For two of them you can purchase a maximum of 9 each (i think it was 2009 and 2010) BUT for the 2011 coin you can buy up to 99 coins.

The p&p is £2.95 flat. So this would be a great way of increasing your CC points for FREE if you

a) Already are looking to get some London 2012 coins

b) Dont mind paying the £2.95 postage fee

Sounds like a good deal to me.

http://www.royalmint.com/store/BritishBase/LUKC2.aspx

http://www.royalmint.com/store/BritishBase/LUKC3.aspx

http://www.royalmint.com/store/BritishBase/LUKC1.aspx

Thoughts?

Not as good as the MINT deal in the USA (Which I happened to take advantage of while I was living in the USA) but still might interest some people
Old Jan 6, 2012, 3:11 pm

Only downside is that American Express is not accepted!
Old Jan 6, 2012, 3:30 pm

500 quids...that's bloody good boy.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by peterc2609
Only downside is that American Express is not accepted!
Thats true, but ive got a flying club CC that gave me a VISA and an AMEX linked to the same account. So didnt change anything for me.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by leonidas
500 quids...that's bloody good boy.
Better get on it before it runs out!
Old Jan 6, 2012, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Hey all,

You can actually get more that 99 coins, you just have to keep re-adding to the basket!!!!!

I got to 105 and it would still let me add more!!!!
Old Jan 6, 2012, 7:38 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
To our British friends...it's your turn. Enjoy!
Old Jan 6, 2012, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat,PC Plat, HHonors Gold
Wow.. wish the US mint returned too! I am missing the backaches from carrying 19.6lb boxes
Old Jan 7, 2012, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Has anyone ordered any yet?
Old Jan 8, 2012, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Only lets me order 9 each from 2009 and 2010, but more from 2012
Old Jan 8, 2012, 5:43 pm

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
I actually bought a few 5 pound coins prior to a trip to England a couple of years ago. I had a deuce of a time trying to spend them. They are accepted at post offices and perhaps some banks. Otherwise they are "legal tender" but under UK law, private parties are not required to accept them. YMMV, but I found them far, far more difficult to spend thatn the US dollar coins.

Andyandy
Old Jan 8, 2012, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andyandy
I actually bought a few 5 pound coins prior to a trip to England a couple of years ago. I had a deuce of a time trying to spend them. They are accepted at post offices and perhaps some banks. Otherwise they are "legal tender" but under UK law, private parties are not required to accept them. YMMV, but I found them far, far more difficult to spend thatn the US dollar coins.

Andyandy
Im surprised at that! If they are legal tender then EVERYONE has to accept them regardless. Whoever said no was lying. Most english people dont want Royal bank of scotland POUND notes, but they STILL have to accept them.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 9:37 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Have fun with this, mates! Some of us sure did.

To the US Presidential players who might be reading this thread, here's an anecdote. I was in my credit union on Friday. The teller asked me if I could bring in some dollar coins because she had several customers who requested them
Old Jan 9, 2012, 3:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
thanks to OP for posting this.

I understand that in the US the aim was to get the $1 coins into circulation and more general use? That's very different to the situation here where although £5 coins like this are legal tender, they are squarely aimed at collectors. Presenting one in a shop would cause confusion and hassle.

Walking into a bank with 100 £5 coins would also be seen as very odd, which may or may not cause problems.

As a £500 spend on VISA only nets me 375 AA miles I think I'll be passing on this offer.

Last edited by LSunbury; Jan 9, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.