Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

AmEx for Target: $400/week credit card ATM withdrawals for 1.3%+ in certain cities

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2014, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: weezl
please be aware the Target breach cards are currently on the black market, as always be aware of activity on all accounts

Purchase in store. Each store seems to have just one lane that has them on display (unlike the AMEX GC which are at most lanes). Package is larger than other gift cards, silver and red.

Not available in all states. Search here for possible locations

Note: Unlike AMEX's restriction on BB/Serve/Redbird where one person can only hold one of those, you can have an AFT (2, actually) while holding a BB, Serve, or Redbird

Need DL to purchase.
Max 1 purchase per ss# per day--this means one person can actually have 2 AFT cards, which is why there is a $5000 total limit for 2 cards (see below).
Max initial load $500 + $3 load fee.

May reload temp card as soon as verification of identity is complete, may take 48 hours. You can use an ATM with a temp card as soon as you're able to view your temp card PIN online. If you're unable to view your PIN online, you won't be able to use an ATM until you have the permanent card, which takes about two weeks.

Many stores now limit reloading to the service desk, and no longer at cashiers. The card must be swiped at a cash terminal to reload, not scanned! Ask cashiers to try if they don't seem to recognize the card. Ask if loading at service desk is a policy, it might just be a knee-jerk response from cashiers that don't know about the card. I have been told that a few times, "You need to go to the Service Desk," it has never been true. Say please and thank you.

Limits & Fees
Codes as purchase on all cards.
Load fee $3
Max $1000 per card in 24 hour period.
Max $5000 total for both cards per 28 day rolling period.
May load any card *until* balance is $2500 for 28 day period (not *up to*)

System will allow a $1000 load on a card with a $2000 balance so long as you are under $5000 for all cards over 28 day period. See below for optimal load sequence, $15/$5k a month after 1st month and $15k in 65 days for new cards.

Unload via ATM
Max $400/card/day (resets sometime in the wee hours of the morning)
First ATM w/d per month per card is free, based on 1st of the month (not rolling)+ any ATM owner fee.
Additional ATM w/d fee $3 + ATM fee.

When asked 'from account' choose 'checking.'

Possibly helpful link:
Free and Low-Cost ATMs

Unload by purchases
No fee. No cash back.

Additional information

Optimal load pattern for least number of $3 fees after first $500 load is $3k/$2k.
New accounts can load $15k in 65 days. 4 trips in a week for new cards, 3 in a week once a month after that.

Load always means load $1000. 28 day load total in parenthesis. 'Dropped' means that load is past the 28 day mark.

Day 1: Purchase card #1, load $500
Day 3: Purchase card #2, load $500; Load card #1 ($1500)
Day 5: load card #1 ($2500); load card #2 ($1500)
Day 7: load card #2 ($2500)
*********************************wait************
Day 29: ($2000)($2500) day 1 dropped
Day 31: ($1000)($2000) day 3 dropped
Day 32: load card #1 ($2000) ; load card #2 ($3000)
Day 33: ($1000)($2000) day 5 dropped
Day 34: load card #1 ($2000); load card #2 ($3000)
Day 35: ($2000) ($2000) day 7 dropped
Day 36: load card #1 ($3000), ($2000)
*********************************wait************
Day 61: load both cards, day 32 dropped
Day 63: load both cards
Day 65: load one card.

Repeat Loads waiting 29 days between loads, if you loaded both cards 29 days ago load both now, if you loaded one card, load one now. So next load date is 61+29= Day 90

FAQ

Q: Will this show up as a CA?
A: No, Target is not a financial institution.

Q: Even with xxxx cards?
A: Yes, no cards will be charged a CA.

Q: Can I load with Visa/MC/Amex Gift Cards?
A: Yes. Also the balance can be detected and drained if you ask to load more than the value on a prepaid it will just prompt you to give a second payment form. Great for draining random balances.

Q: How about Target gift cards?
A: The register prompts not to allow Target gift cards. They may not be hard coded, though.

Q: Will I get 5% off if I load with a Target Red card?
A: No. Sorry, I wish.

Q: Can I load multiple cards in one transaction?
A: Yes. Up to 3 cards can be loaded in one transaction, but each card will be charged $3.

Q: Why load multiple accounts in one transaction?
A: to avoid multiple $1003 transactions on same CC in minutes. This may trigger a fraud alert.

Q:Is there a max number of payment swipes?
A: Yes. Maximum swipes for split payments is 7, though other users have reported being able to swipe at least 10 gift cards for payment without problems.

Q: Any reason not to load multiple cards in one transaction?
A: Yes, when you have multiple small value gift cards to unload because of 7 swipe limit.

Q: The title says withdrawals are 1.3%, is that true?
A: No. Do the math. I'm not very good at math. Under 1.3% includes Costco ATM fees. It is not possible to edit a thread title, the fees are lower due to the ATM limit now being $400.

Q: What are the lowest possible fees with a fee-free ATM available?
A: For 2 cards, each loaded with $2.5K each over 2 months ($10K in total), you would pay $30 in loading fees (10 load fees of $3 each) and $63 in ATM fees (25 total withdrawals, with 1 free withdrawal per card each month, resulting in 21 ATM fees of $3 each).

Official fund loading from T&C

You may load funds to your Cards using your Funding Source until the Available Funds on any Card purchased by you equals $2,500 and on all card purchased by you equals $5,000... Not more than $1,000 may be loaded to any Card purchased by you in a 24 hour period using your Funding Source, not more than $5,000 may be loaded to all Cards purchased by you in any 28-day period using your Funding Source.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE IF YOU LOADED YOUR PREPAID CARD AT TARGET DURING THE CHRISTMAS SECURITY BREACH: It is important to have AMEX reissue your cards (just phone the number on the card and ask for a new card). Thieves have the numbers and pins and can drain your account at any time. AMEX does not appear to be using software to block suspicious activity, so they can drain it all. If you loaded your prepaid card at Target between November 27 and December 15, 2013, you are at significant risk of having your money stolen (several reported cases in April and May).
Print Wikipost

AmEx for Target: $400/week credit card ATM withdrawals for 1.3%+ in certain cities

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2014, 2:26 pm

@Minos - I had the same problem early on at certain Targets: the customer service rep. interpreted "no Target gift card" to mean "no gift card" whatsoever.

Sometimes, with my gentle prompting, they would try the Amex GC and, of course, it worked. Though one Target refused to try all the way up to the store manager. My complaint call to India and e-mail to corporate resulted in an incomprehensible, grammatically incorrect, ineffective Target "response" e-mail of, basically, "oh well".

Try to gently educate or seek out a more enlightened store: good luck!
Old Feb 8, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Minos
My local Target is a pain. Half of the time they refuse to reload the card with an AMEX gift card. Any idea how to bypass this hurdle?

Their computer show "No Target GiftCard" but given how educated they are, they make up rules and this somehow translates into "No Giftcard"

Minos
The one time that happened to me I successfully got around it by telling them the Amex GC was a prepaid debit card.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 5:59 pm

Programs: Shamelessly Gold at Flying Burrito and AirTrain A+ Elite. Turkish Star Gold, 100k at Flying Eskimo
Originally Posted by healthnut
So are they physically seeing the card or is it coming up as a GC on their computer?
They see the card and since large denomination AMEX gift cards often look the same, they recognize it. However, when they do not pay attention, it always go through smoothly.

The confusion comes from the fact that their computer displays "No Target Gift Card" halfway through the process and they interpret this as no gift card. And for those that can somehow read, well, they just make up some rules. ---> Cause it's fun

For instance, today I was able to do it and transaction went through no problem. However, 5min later, for some unknown reason the cashier comes back to me with a manger while I was shopping for grocery in the store (mistake, next time I leave immediately). Manager tells me he wants to reverse the transaction because he is not supposed to reload with a "gift card"!?!

A bit of smooth talking to them and they tell me that it is fine this time. Letting me go through the transaction with an AMEX GC was a mistake on their part but that I should not try again!! I keep telling them that this is a prepaid card but it is written all over it "Gift Card" so they keep arguing. You know the saying. You can't really win an argument with them...

I am wondering if I am the only one having issue with Target in Atlanta

Minos

Last edited by Minos; Feb 8, 2014 at 8:07 pm
Old Feb 8, 2014, 9:59 pm

The website for Serve by American Express has a fee free ATM locator link at the very bottom, I will check if the Target cards work with them this week. You have to click 'learn more' on the first page, or just go to the moneypass website. Nothing for sure, don't see anyone saying if they are fee free for all cards or just Serve, but the ones listed are at credit unions, so I'm hopeful.

The wiki says "Max amount per rolling 30 days is $2.5k / card or $5k per SSN"

I was thinking that I could load one card up to 5k

Last edited by Haleyb; Feb 8, 2014 at 10:11 pm
Old Feb 8, 2014, 11:09 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
deleted

Last edited by bevoinva; Feb 8, 2014 at 11:37 pm Reason: Found the answer.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Haleyb
The website for Serve by American Express has a fee free ATM locator link at the very bottom, I will check if the Target cards work with them this week. You have to click 'learn more' on the first page, or just go to the moneypass website. Nothing for sure, don't see anyone saying if they are fee free for all cards or just Serve, but the ones listed are at credit unions, so I'm hopeful.

The wiki says "Max amount per rolling 30 days is $2.5k / card or $5k per SSN"

I was thinking that I could load one card up to 5k
In my experience, the effective limit is 6K. I always load both of mine at the same time. I'm thinking, upon initial scan and load request, the system only checks to see if the load breaches any limits, and then actually "loads" at the end of the transaction. So, because that first load isn't finalized, it allows that 2nd load, as I'm sure it still reads as 4K loaded in the 30 day period.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by theacolyte
In my experience, the effective limit is 6K. I always load both of mine at the same time. I'm thinking, upon initial scan and load request, the system only checks to see if the load breaches any limits, and then actually "loads" at the end of the transaction. So, because that first load isn't finalized, it allows that 2nd load, as I'm sure it still reads as 4K loaded in the 30 day period.
That would be funky, and interesting.

I didn't realize you could load both cards in the same transaction. I always load one card, pay, and then repeat. They can do both orders together?

Of course, there's no real reason to do them together (except to save a modest amount of time) -- and, more important, to use your trick!
Old Feb 9, 2014, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Haleyb
AFT is not part of ANY ATM network. Serve and BB are part of the MoneyPass network, so if you WD from MoneyPass ATMs with those cards, the machine won't charge you. Your only hope for AFT is to find an small/independent ATM somewhere near you that has no fee and will let you WD a large amount of cash at once. The only one I've seen repeatedly mentioned is Wawa. Some have mentioned credit unions. I found one near me (in a nail salon of all places), but it limits to only 200 withdraws.

The next best thing that many people use is Costco.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
That would be funky, and interesting.

I didn't realize you could load both cards in the same transaction. I always load one card, pay, and then repeat. They can do both orders together?

Of course, there's no real reason to do them together (except to save a modest amount of time) -- and, more important, to use your trick!
As I understand it, the cards are completely separate entities. The limit is not $5000, it's $2500x2. I assume the poster meant for card A, load 1K, load 1K, and then next load can also be 1k. Repeat for card B. But what he's saying really doesn't make sense.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, MR, UR, Cash Back!
Found one of these unicorn cards at my local Target in the hood! I jumped lines to get into the line that had these. Lol this is like a game to me now.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka
As I understand it, the cards are completely separate entities. The limit is not $5000, it's $2500x2. I assume the poster meant for card A, load 1K, load 1K, and then next load can also be 1k. Repeat for card B. But what he's saying really doesn't make sense.
No, I meant what I said. It works, 3k per card in a 30 day period, always loading A and B at the same time. You are aware there is a difference between TOC and enforcement, right?
Old Feb 9, 2014, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by LoneTree
The one time that happened to me I successfully got around it by telling them the Amex GC was a prepaid debit card.
Wanted to share my experience from Fri night...

Now, I don't use this card unless there is a MM promo plus free points, such as OM amex GC deal in December to offset the high fees of AFT. However, I had one bum MC GC from the last OM deal that I need to use as credit to cashout.

So, I go to my target and ask to load $401.25. The cashier says ok. I swipe the $200 OM MC GC and for the first time EVER, was not asked to give the card to the cashier for the last four digit entry. Thinking it was just this one time, I finished the other 201.25 load with a card that I am working on min spend and that card also went through without asking for the last four digits of card like it usually does.

I usually catch grief from the cashiers about using gc's and it mostly works, but sometimes doesn't. This obv makes it much easier and hassle free, especially when doing large volumes of amex gc's from BC and TCB. Sure fee's are higher on AFT, but allows more volume when CVS won't let me use GC's for VR's.

Anyone else have this experience lately?
Old Feb 9, 2014, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by theacolyte
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka

No, I meant what I said. It works, 3k per card in a 30 day period, always loading A and B at the same time. You are aware there is a difference between TOC and enforcement, right?
That would be news to me, I've had the register/load not work when trying to go above $2500 in 30 days.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 9:49 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Tofe
Forgot about that first free ATM withdrawal. In any case, buying $500 GC with $6.95 fee and loading to BB still works out to be cheaper -> For $2k it is ~$28 + gas to drive to WM (negligible for me since its less than 1mi away). I am only trying to find the cheapest way to meet my $10k spend for Citi Exec. I do realize Target Amex is another avenue but since I have two BB's I think I will go with the Visa GC's > BB. If anyone has a better alternative, please let me know. thank you.
It depends on whether you can float the cash for a few months. If you're not in a hurry, you can load $2500 to the Amex for Target card, then draw it down over six months using only free ATM withdrawals. (In fact, you can buy two AFTs in your own name, so that's $5K you can load up quickly.) This is what I do. AFT is simply a slow and steady add-on to my other MS activity. I see no reason to go fast on this card because the fee for more than one ATM withdrawal per month is more than I'm willing to pay.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 10:02 pm

Programs: AOPA
Can't find one of these thing

Looked up the stores that carries this on the website. Stopped in the only 2 stores in state that should carry it, but no luck. I will try the target corporate store tomorrow. Anyone else having issue finding them?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.