Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

AmEx for Target: $400/week credit card ATM withdrawals for 1.3%+ in certain cities

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2014, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: weezl
please be aware the Target breach cards are currently on the black market, as always be aware of activity on all accounts

Purchase in store. Each store seems to have just one lane that has them on display (unlike the AMEX GC which are at most lanes). Package is larger than other gift cards, silver and red.

Not available in all states. Search here for possible locations

Note: Unlike AMEX's restriction on BB/Serve/Redbird where one person can only hold one of those, you can have an AFT (2, actually) while holding a BB, Serve, or Redbird

Need DL to purchase.
Max 1 purchase per ss# per day--this means one person can actually have 2 AFT cards, which is why there is a $5000 total limit for 2 cards (see below).
Max initial load $500 + $3 load fee.

May reload temp card as soon as verification of identity is complete, may take 48 hours. You can use an ATM with a temp card as soon as you're able to view your temp card PIN online. If you're unable to view your PIN online, you won't be able to use an ATM until you have the permanent card, which takes about two weeks.

Many stores now limit reloading to the service desk, and no longer at cashiers. The card must be swiped at a cash terminal to reload, not scanned! Ask cashiers to try if they don't seem to recognize the card. Ask if loading at service desk is a policy, it might just be a knee-jerk response from cashiers that don't know about the card. I have been told that a few times, "You need to go to the Service Desk," it has never been true. Say please and thank you.

Limits & Fees
Codes as purchase on all cards.
Load fee $3
Max $1000 per card in 24 hour period.
Max $5000 total for both cards per 28 day rolling period.
May load any card *until* balance is $2500 for 28 day period (not *up to*)

System will allow a $1000 load on a card with a $2000 balance so long as you are under $5000 for all cards over 28 day period. See below for optimal load sequence, $15/$5k a month after 1st month and $15k in 65 days for new cards.

Unload via ATM
Max $400/card/day (resets sometime in the wee hours of the morning)
First ATM w/d per month per card is free, based on 1st of the month (not rolling)+ any ATM owner fee.
Additional ATM w/d fee $3 + ATM fee.

When asked 'from account' choose 'checking.'

Possibly helpful link:
Free and Low-Cost ATMs

Unload by purchases
No fee. No cash back.

Additional information

Optimal load pattern for least number of $3 fees after first $500 load is $3k/$2k.
New accounts can load $15k in 65 days. 4 trips in a week for new cards, 3 in a week once a month after that.

Load always means load $1000. 28 day load total in parenthesis. 'Dropped' means that load is past the 28 day mark.

Day 1: Purchase card #1, load $500
Day 3: Purchase card #2, load $500; Load card #1 ($1500)
Day 5: load card #1 ($2500); load card #2 ($1500)
Day 7: load card #2 ($2500)
*********************************wait************
Day 29: ($2000)($2500) day 1 dropped
Day 31: ($1000)($2000) day 3 dropped
Day 32: load card #1 ($2000) ; load card #2 ($3000)
Day 33: ($1000)($2000) day 5 dropped
Day 34: load card #1 ($2000); load card #2 ($3000)
Day 35: ($2000) ($2000) day 7 dropped
Day 36: load card #1 ($3000), ($2000)
*********************************wait************
Day 61: load both cards, day 32 dropped
Day 63: load both cards
Day 65: load one card.

Repeat Loads waiting 29 days between loads, if you loaded both cards 29 days ago load both now, if you loaded one card, load one now. So next load date is 61+29= Day 90

FAQ

Q: Will this show up as a CA?
A: No, Target is not a financial institution.

Q: Even with xxxx cards?
A: Yes, no cards will be charged a CA.

Q: Can I load with Visa/MC/Amex Gift Cards?
A: Yes. Also the balance can be detected and drained if you ask to load more than the value on a prepaid it will just prompt you to give a second payment form. Great for draining random balances.

Q: How about Target gift cards?
A: The register prompts not to allow Target gift cards. They may not be hard coded, though.

Q: Will I get 5% off if I load with a Target Red card?
A: No. Sorry, I wish.

Q: Can I load multiple cards in one transaction?
A: Yes. Up to 3 cards can be loaded in one transaction, but each card will be charged $3.

Q: Why load multiple accounts in one transaction?
A: to avoid multiple $1003 transactions on same CC in minutes. This may trigger a fraud alert.

Q:Is there a max number of payment swipes?
A: Yes. Maximum swipes for split payments is 7, though other users have reported being able to swipe at least 10 gift cards for payment without problems.

Q: Any reason not to load multiple cards in one transaction?
A: Yes, when you have multiple small value gift cards to unload because of 7 swipe limit.

Q: The title says withdrawals are 1.3%, is that true?
A: No. Do the math. I'm not very good at math. Under 1.3% includes Costco ATM fees. It is not possible to edit a thread title, the fees are lower due to the ATM limit now being $400.

Q: What are the lowest possible fees with a fee-free ATM available?
A: For 2 cards, each loaded with $2.5K each over 2 months ($10K in total), you would pay $30 in loading fees (10 load fees of $3 each) and $63 in ATM fees (25 total withdrawals, with 1 free withdrawal per card each month, resulting in 21 ATM fees of $3 each).

Official fund loading from T&C

You may load funds to your Cards using your Funding Source until the Available Funds on any Card purchased by you equals $2,500 and on all card purchased by you equals $5,000... Not more than $1,000 may be loaded to any Card purchased by you in a 24 hour period using your Funding Source, not more than $5,000 may be loaded to all Cards purchased by you in any 28-day period using your Funding Source.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE IF YOU LOADED YOUR PREPAID CARD AT TARGET DURING THE CHRISTMAS SECURITY BREACH: It is important to have AMEX reissue your cards (just phone the number on the card and ask for a new card). Thieves have the numbers and pins and can drain your account at any time. AMEX does not appear to be using software to block suspicious activity, so they can drain it all. If you loaded your prepaid card at Target between November 27 and December 15, 2013, you are at significant risk of having your money stolen (several reported cases in April and May).
Print Wikipost

AmEx for Target: $400/week credit card ATM withdrawals for 1.3%+ in certain cities

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:22 am

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Gold, HH Gold, AA Plat
Originally Posted by nas6034
Has anyone been able to succesfully withdraw money with the temporary amex at a mcdonals atm in nyc? What about a permanent card? When i tried to wd 400 it said choosealower amount so i didnt try. I didnt see a wd limit on the atm.
You can't withdraw with the temp card unless of course you already received your PIN. but then again they could have put something to block you from doing it.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:25 am

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Gold, HH Gold, AA Plat
Originally Posted by iahphx
So I drove 11 miles today to a store that -- according to the AMEX Target website -- was supposed to have the cards to buy. The store management nicely told me they've never sold them (but that a guy comes in regularly to refill his card!). So I'm guessing there's no rhyme or reason to actually finding the cards. I'm thinking of calling around to various stores and asking, but I'm afraid it will be difficult to get an accurate answer, especially since there are similar-looking Target AMEX gift cards. I guess if I insist that they find a Target AMEX card that says "prepaid" on it, maybe I can save myself some trouble. I wish it were like BB and I could just order the card online and have it mailed to me. On a positive note, it doesn't look like it would be hard to refill!

BTW, are all AMEX prepaid/gift cards by the registers? There's nowhere else I need to look, right?
usually it is by the Reigsters. It is indeed entirely depend on luck even if on the website it says the store carries it. The first target i went didn't have any of the card despite on the site it says they do. The fact that most of the Target employees have no idea what this card is brings more work to folks who wants to get it.

Just keep it up drive around, you will find it.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb:20401965
Has anyone been able to succesfully withdraw money with the temporary amex at a mcdonals atm in nyc? What about a permanent card? When i tried to wd 400 it said choosealower amount so i didnt try. I didnt see a wd limit on the atm.
I believe the McDonald's ATMs have a limit of $200. So either do $200/month, pay for more withdrawals, or find another ATM.
The 99 cent ATM at the McDonalds near my office has a $300 limit
Old Mar 12, 2013, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Mooey
You can't withdraw with the temp card unless of course you already received your PIN. but then again they could have put something to block you from doing it.
Once your identity has been verified you can get the PIN online and use it with the temporary card at an ATM. I've done it and so have others.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by pyrotalk
Per sparkzone, do not approach CS desk. They dont have a clue and you will kill the deal with gc funding.. Again repeat after me.
Nah... I've had better success there, the folks tend to be more up to speed on things and are more likely to know what the product is. I've also taught several cashiers how to load it at my local store so I walk in the door by the CS desk, if they don't have a line I go there. If they have a line I walk down the register line looking for a cashier who has done it before. If I don't see anyone I remember I go to the cashier with the shortest line. It's all good. Everyone is pleasant, the product is just not very common so the cashiers are not all aware that it even exists. It's pretty simple to load, I've only had a few cashiers that said they didn't want to do it without a manager because they were scared they would mess up.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Got refunded of $500(not $503) as Amex failed to verify my address(even though I used my NY driver license) and I requested a refund.
I took about a month as Amex waited for exact 20 business days for the final approval for the refund and another 3-5 days for mailling the checks to me.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Superorb
Once your identity has been verified you can get the PIN online and use it with the temporary card at an ATM. I've done it and so have others.
After my previously unsuccessful effort to buy a Target AMEX card from a store that was supposed to have them, I phoned to another nearby store and asked them to check. Fortunately, I got a good employee on the phone who walked to the registers and confirmed they were there. I went in and got the card without any problem.

I've now registered it online at the AMEX site. How long does it typically take to get a pin number so I could do an ATM withdrawal? If I understand correctly, I can't reload this temporary card (I have to wait for my permanent card to come in the mail), but I can buy a second card, right? Do I have to wait 24 hours to do that?
Old Mar 13, 2013, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
I've now registered it online at the AMEX site. How long does it typically take to get a pin number so I could do an ATM withdrawal? If I understand correctly, I can't reload this temporary card (I have to wait for my permanent card to come in the mail), but I can buy a second card, right? Do I have to wait 24 hours to do that?
I was able to get a PIN for my temp card a day or two later. I almost used it today to get cash out of an ATM, but I thought pulling 800 out at once would look fishy....
Old Mar 13, 2013, 5:10 pm

I got my pin next day. You can buy 2 cards on separate days only and load upto 500. I see no point in loading 500 on first go. Load 400 + atm fee amount for each card. Max withdrawal per day is 400 and first withdrawal per month is free so dont tie up money unless you dont care or mind spending extra withdrawal fees.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I got my pin next day. You can buy 2 cards on separate days only and load upto 500. I see no point in loading 500 on first go. Load 400 + atm fee amount for each card. Max withdrawal per day is 400 and first withdrawal per month is free so dont tie up money unless you dont care or mind spending extra withdrawal fees.
I disagree. Load as much as you can to dilute the effect of the load fee. The extra funds on the card can now be used for future ATM withdrawals ... you maximize the load:fee ratio in a month by doing $2000 for $6 -- that's 5 monthly ATMs, which would cost $19.50 each month at a $1.50 ATM. That's 5 months of ATM fees you've loaded onto the card by doing $500 at the start and not $400 (and gotten the extra 100 points on your CC).
Old Mar 13, 2013, 5:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
You can load $1k after that, limit $2.5k a month. For some of us that can't find VR in our area, this is what we have.

And if you use BB in the same way, the fees are comparable, this just doesn't have bill pay.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by amolkold
I disagree. Load as much as you can to dilute the effect of the load fee. The extra funds on the card can now be used for future ATM withdrawals ... you maximize the load:fee ratio in a month by doing $2000 for $6 -- that's 5 monthly ATMs, which would cost $19.50 each month at a $1.50 ATM. That's 5 months of ATM fees you've loaded onto the card by doing $500 at the start and not $400 (and gotten the extra 100 points on your CC).
The point is to save on the atm fees. After the first withdrawal you are paying $3+$1.50 = $4.50 to withdraw $400. Granted if you do not have VR access you're stuck with this. If all you're doing is to manufacture more spend then you need it makes sense. If you're doing minimums with cards that give you 3 months then you should load $400 on first go in March. Then at end of april(after your statement closes. If statement closes on 28th, go on 29th) you load $800 and withdraw $400 on april 30 and $400 on may 1 thus only paying the atm fee and saving on amex's withdrawal fee. Thus the $800 balance is not being carried over. (not proofread).
Old Mar 13, 2013, 7:38 pm

The point is to save on the atm fees. After the first withdrawal you are paying $3+$1.50 = $4.50 to withdraw $400. Granted if you do not have VR access you're stuck with this. If all you're doing is to manufacture more spend then you need it makes sense. If you're doing minimums with cards that give you 3 months then you should load $400 on first go in March. Then at end of april(after your statement closes. If statement closes on 28th, go on 29th) you load $800 and withdraw $400 on april 30 and $400 on may 1 thus only paying the atm fee and saving on amex's withdrawal fee. Thus the $800 balance is not being carried over. (not proofread).
I see your point, but I'd rather "overload" and have to deal with the balance than underload and pay more fee per dollar manufactured. I have a free ATM, so it's only $3 for me after the first one, so $3 for $400 is great (considering that my Target is labeled as a grocery store and I get bonus points on my card).

If you have a balance left over and don't want to ATM it, AP is a great way to liquidate.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 7:43 pm

Programs: BA, AA, United
Target labelled as a grocery store caught my attention, is it a specific store that is categorized that way or is your card issuer considering all target stores as grocery store. You can PM me if you prefer that.

Originally Posted by amolkold
I see your point, but I'd rather "overload" and have to deal with the balance than underload and pay more fee per dollar manufactured. I have a free ATM, so it's only $3 for me after the first one, so $3 for $400 is great (considering that my Target is labeled as a grocery store and I get bonus points on my card).

If you have a balance left over and don't want to ATM it, AP is a great way to liquidate.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by rambo
Target labelled as a grocery store caught my attention, is it a specific store that is categorized that way or is your card issuer considering all target stores as grocery store. You can PM me if you prefer that.
It's only Visa and it's only certain Target stores. http://visa.via.infonow.net/locator/...splayAction.do

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.