FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   AmEx for Target: $400/week credit card ATM withdrawals for 1.3%+ in certain cities (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1242493-amex-target-400-week-credit-card-atm-withdrawals-1-3-certain-cities.html)

skibum3d Jun 14, 2014 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by MDWCommuter (Post 23035225)
Go right to it. These cards will never give you a minutes worth of trouble so long as you can count.

That's true. Still, I like to buy VGCs with them occasionally so that there is regular "swipe spend" instead of just ATM access. Also, with the right VGC source, this is cheaper than ATMs anyway ...

givingitatry Jun 14, 2014 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by skibum3d (Post 23035247)
That's true. Still, I like to buy VGCs with them occasionally so that there is regular "swipe spend" instead of just ATM access. Also, with the right VGC source, this is cheaper than ATMs anyway ...

Are there any issues with loading repeatedly with air miles cards? I want to spread some joy to mileage plus and usair barclay.

The only VGC source I have currently is OV and grocery store variety.

Peridot83 Jun 14, 2014 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by nadir576 (Post 23033575)
Anyone in south jersey , philly area care to share a location where I can find this elusive product? I have tried few targets in my neighborhood with no luck. PM is welcome and I really appreciate any help.

Willow Grove and Warrington PA for sure. I believe I've seen them in just about all the Montgomery county stores though.

skibum3d Jun 14, 2014 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by givingitatry (Post 23035571)
Are there any issues with loading repeatedly with air miles cards? I want to spread some joy to mileage plus and usair barclay.

The only VGC source I have currently is OV and grocery store variety.

For the first year, I loaded only with miles and points cards. These days, I usually load with miles and points cards, but occasionally drain a few hundred from an AGC here and there.

kenshinluo Jun 14, 2014 9:47 pm

delete

tomcanada22 Jun 15, 2014 11:39 am

Have a newbie question as I'm just starting to learn about Amx-Target.
Any concerns now about getting a new card since the data breech?

Also, what does need DL to purchase mean?
Thanks

MaineCoon Jun 15, 2014 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by tomcanada22 (Post 23038019)

Thanks

you need a drivers license or another form of id to buy AFT at the store.

smoothmunkey Jun 15, 2014 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by tomcanada22 (Post 23038019)

Thanks

DL = Driver's License.

As far as the data breach, Target is probably being more careful with their security (or just pay higher insurance premiums; whichever is cheaper :eek:). I don't see how the past breach would affect a new AFT (someone feel free, and please do, correct me if I'm wrong).

bar19900 Jun 16, 2014 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by psone (Post 22804243)
If someone needs a card, PM me and for a few bucks I'll grab you one or two and mail them. Our stores have loads of them.

Received my cards from psone today. Communicated well and shipped quickly. Thanks for helping those without cards in their area!

kenshinluo Jun 16, 2014 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by skibum3d (Post 23035601)
For the first year, I loaded only with miles and points cards. These days, I usually load with miles and points cards, but occasionally drain a few hundred from an AGC here and there.

Why not straight AGC? It is harder to liquidate than VGC.

tomcanada22 Jun 17, 2014 4:35 pm

Wasted my first trip to Target. Went to get my first AFT card in NYC. Manage to find just one card left. Walked over to cash register and said I wanted to purchase the card and load it with $500 (as that is max initial load). She said need to see my ID (so gave her my DL). Then I took out my Chase CC for the load as I needed to meet the minimum spend on the CC. She then said store policy is strictly using Cash or Debit card only and not CC???
I insist using a CC should be ok as I dont carry $500 cash on me and dont have a DC with me either.
She then checked with another register person and call supervisor over and all confirm cash or DC only.
If this is true then it will be alot of hassle using AFT cards to make minimum spend on my CC.
Anyone else having trouble with loading with a CC??

sosamo Jun 17, 2014 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by tomcanada22 (Post 23051306)
Wasted my first trip to Target. Went to get my first AFT card in NYC. Manage to find just one card left. Walked over to cash register and said I wanted to purchase the card and load it with $500 (as that is max initial load). She said need to see my ID (so gave her my DL). Then I took out my Chase CC for the load as I needed to meet the minimum spend on the CC. She then said store policy is strictly using Cash or Debit card only and not CC???
I insist using a CC should be ok as I dont carry $500 cash on me and dont have a DC with me either.
She then checked with another register person and call supervisor over and all confirm cash or DC only.
If this is true then it will be alot of hassle using AFT cards to make minimum spend on my CC.
Anyone else having trouble with loading with a CC??

Here in So Cal, no issues. The only issue is that some stores don't allow GC like AMEX Gift Cards.

I think the main reason is that most cashiers don't know what these are. So they just swipe, follow instructions on the screen, etc.

Of course if people draw attention to this, and cause a commotion, then it might cash / debit only nationwide.

tomcanada22 Jun 17, 2014 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by sosamo (Post 23051334)
Here in So Cal, no issues. The only issue is that some stores don't allow GC like AMEX Gift Cards.

I think the main reason is that most cashiers don't know what these are. So they just swipe, follow instructions on the screen, etc.

Of course if people draw attention to this, and cause a commotion, then it might cash / debit only nationwide.

The cashier knew what she was doing as she knew all the procedures. Just won't accept a CC for loading option. Also called the supervisor over to confirm what she said was the store policy now. I didnt want to continue or cause any fuss so I gave her back the card and left.

sosamo Jun 17, 2014 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by tomcanada22 (Post 23051362)
The cashier knew what she was doing as she knew all the procedures. Just won't accept a CC for loading option. Also called the supervisor over to confirm what she said was the store policy now. I didnt want to continue or cause any fuss so I gave her back the card and left.

I remember when I was searching for an AFT. Nobody in the store knew what it was. They asked a lady that has been with the store for 10+ years, and she didn't know what it was.

The 4 or so Target I went to in So Cal, majority of the cashiers, don't know what to do when I hand them the card.

TerryK Jun 17, 2014 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by tomcanada22 (Post 23051306)
Wasted my first trip to Target. Went to get my first AFT card in NYC...

Which Target in NYC? :confused: The one in Harlem accepts CC.