Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mcdullhk88
Dead as of 10/13/14

Additionally, we have updated the terms and conditions of our User Agreement (https://payments.amazon.com/help/Personal-Accounts/User-Agreement-Policies/User-Agreement) that apply to your use of the products and services provided by Amazon Payments. Our updated User Agreement revises certain terms (including, among other things, the elimination of person-to-person payments). Our new User Agreement will become effective on October 13, 2014, which is more than 30 days from when we first posted our updated User Agreement. By continuing to use our services after October 13, 2014, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions of our new User Agreement.
FAQ's

Is Amazon Payments treated as a cash advance? No CC issuer has been reported as treating an AP transaction as a cash advance unless the sender selected "Payment is for Cash Advance" on the Send Money screen.
What does it mean when your payment is "pending"? Your payment will be reviewed. We are unsure whether this review is done by a human or computer. It should take less than 24 hours but is usually within minutes.
How should you describe your payment? "Goods or services" will allow you to charge with a CC and it will not be treated as a cash advance. Note: If you choose cash advance, it may be treated as such by your CC issuer; always choose Goods/Services. There is no reason to put anything in the optional description field - leave it blank.
What is the monthly limit for sending CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What is the monthly limit for receiving CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What if it is not allowing me to send/receive more than $500 or any at all? You probably have not verified your bank and/or added a CC. In order to get the full $1,000 allowance for sending and receiving you must have a bank verified AND a CC added to your account as a payment method.
Does AP qualify for special spending categories? Specifically it qualifies for Discover's (usually 4th quarter) category of online purchases but so far, not Chase's "5% CB on Amazon.com purchases." Refer to thread for other options.
Can you get shutdown? Yes.
How do you get shutdown? No one knows. Anecdotes are found throughout the thread. Some suspicious behavior that MIGHT get your AP account(s) shut down is listed below.
Which transaction is most advisable? A -> B -> C -> A (see here)
Are any fees charged during this process? No, not by Amazon Payments. If your transaction is treated as a cash advance by your card issuer--fees are possible. Beware and always double check that goods/services is selected!
Can you liquidate Amazon GC via AP? NO!
Can you liquidate other gift cards via AP? Yes. Note that you cannot liquidate the full value of a GC because amazon places a $1 hold while it verifies the validity of the GC. You can sometimes (not always) avoid the hold by entering an incorrect expiration date for the GC when adding it to your AP account, and after you have added it, go to "Edit my account settings," then to "Add edit or delete my credit cards" and edit the expiration date there.
When does the month end? It appears as if Amazon is on pacific time, so midnight PDT/PST is when the month resets.

It bears repeating that no one knows the methodology amazon uses to police AP transactions, determines which transactions violate its T&Cs, or identifies violators. However, various people in this thread and elsewhere have confirmed that their AP account(s) were shut down for the following reasons:
  • Associating one credit card number with more than one AP account (Be Careful if authorized user card has the same number as the primary card holder - in some instances the CC numbers are completely different)
  • Associating one bank account with more than one AP account
Print Wikipost

Amazon Payments

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2013, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
ap+ ein

Originally Posted by crimson12
Do you put the EIN in the SSN field? It seems like the identity verification would then fail since presumably the name you use to apply would be checked against the "SSN"/EIN.

Does not work!!!!! Tried doing this, worked for a while but then had my account with EIN shut down at the end of last year when they were validating accounts for tax purposes. I Tried calling customer service to get my account unblocked but no use. All frontline CSRs could do was send emails to upper management, upper management kept saying they could not verify my identity using EIN. Finally, I asked a CSR ; Based on my usage, am I even theoretically in danger of IRS reporting? They said no, and that if I needed a secondary account it would be easier to set one up in the name of a family member... Hope this helps.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 10:56 pm

I haven't read the past 190ish pages, but my question isn't asked in the wiki.
Last month I started a 5 person circle, all different bank accounts, ssns, address etc. but I used the exact same card for them: my UA Club
I didn't have a problem this time transferring 5k total (split up with random values) but am wondering if there's anyone who has experience doing this themselves, and if it's working out.

If I can continue doing this, I'll keep the card; otherwise I'll cancel it.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by iruvmattree
Last month I started a 5 person circle, all different bank accounts, ssns, address etc. but I used the exact same card for them: my UA Club
I didn't have a problem this time transferring 5k total (split up with random values) but am wondering if there's anyone who has experience doing this themselves, and if it's working out.

If you're using the same exact card, how are you entering a different address?

and with the UA deval, the card is worth tossing away anyway even if you could do 5K a month on AP long term
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by encephalopathy
If you're using the same exact card, how are you entering a different address?

and with the UA deval, the card is worth tossing away anyway even if you could do 5K a month on AP long term
Each person has a different address on file, but when entering credit card info I just put in my own for everyone. So I guess I do use my own address for all at the last step.

I mean I can have everyone in my family use their own cards/ addresses then I just wouldn't get all those points :/
Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:04 am

Programs: IHG Platinum

Yes, I have used the same card (Discover, Citi, Chase) in a 3 person circle without problems.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 5:18 am

How risky is A (two year old) - > B (will be created) - > A?

Or would A - > B - > Newly created bank account be better?

Not looking to do anything crazy, just want my $150 bonus from my new Discover IT card.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by hightide
Yes, I have used the same card (Discover, Citi, Chase) in a 3 person circle without problems.
Thanks! 1 more question now, do you just do a 1k transaction, or multiple transactions to amount to 1k?
Old Nov 13, 2013, 6:00 am

No 5% CB from Chase Freedom

Originally Posted by AscorbylPalmitate
which Discover cards are you using? (e.g. Discover More, Discover Open Road, Discover It, etc)

also, do you have to proactively sign up for the 5% CB?
I used Chase Freedom for Amazon payments. My statement was due yesterday and I don't see 5% CB for Amazon payments transaction. Did anyone see 5% CB from Chase Freedom?
Old Nov 13, 2013, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by ramamosn
I used Chase Freedom for Amazon payments. My statement was due yesterday and I don't see 5% CB for Amazon payments transaction. Did anyone see 5% CB from Chase Freedom?
I don't think it will work with the Chase Freedom card. The Chase Freedom cash back bonus clearly states AMAZON.com not Amazonpayments. Amazon.com and amazonpayments are two different companies. Discover is for any online purchases, so someone could easilly be paying for an online purchase with Amazon Payments. You should still get the 1% with chase though.

If you shop at Amazon a lot like I do, I would just buy a gift card on their site and send it to yourself and apply it to your account. I spend between $200 to $500 a month on amazon so I did that. I figure it's a 5% savings and I'll use it up before April.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 8:24 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I don't think it will work with the Chase Freedom card. The Chase Freedom cash back bonus clearly states AMAZON.com not Amazonpayments. Amazon.com and amazonpayments are two different companies. Discover is for any online purchases, so someone could easilly be paying for an online purchase with Amazon Payments. You should still get the 1% with chase though.

If you shop at Amazon a lot like I do, I would just buy a gift card on their site and send it to yourself and apply it to your account. I spend between $200 to $500 a month on amazon so I did that. I figure it's a 5% savings and I'll use it up before April.
exactly right... AMZ payment never counted towards Freedom bonus.
Another option is to buy several gift cards in lower denominations, so that you can give them out as gifts for holidays
Old Nov 13, 2013, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by alik99
exactly right... AMZ payment never counted towards Freedom bonus.
Another option is to buy several gift cards in lower denominations, so that you can give them out as gifts for holidays
Something else you can do is buy gift cards for other places for people for holiday gifts or buy place you shop at on Amazon and and use them yourself when you shop, it's like a 5% savings as well

Amazon has gift cards for a lot of places I shop at like Whole Food and Subway at cost with prime shipping.

Fortunately Amazon still isn't charging sales tax in the state I live in, so that is another big savings for me.

Last edited by jamesteroh; Nov 13, 2013 at 9:23 am
Old Nov 13, 2013, 8:37 am

I am an infrequent shopper on Amazon. For those who shop at Amazon.com a lot, do you know what is the "best" thing to be purchased on amazon? It could be a gift card or anything.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 9:13 am

cowboy guy - diapers and formula, for me, offer the most savings over store prices when you do the amazon mom 20% off.

i also stock up on TP, paper towels, soap, detergent, etc with subscribe and save.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 10:38 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Thanks! 1 more question now, do you just do a 1k transaction, or multiple transactions to amount to 1k?
I usually do multiple transactions amounting to 1k, but this month I did a lumpsum 1k transaction without problems (to take advantage of the $30 credit for every $1k or more transaction I make in Nov and Dec- it's a targetted offer from Discover).
Old Nov 13, 2013, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by busymike
cowboy guy - diapers and formula, for me, offer the most savings over store prices when you do the amazon mom 20% off.

i also stock up on TP, paper towels, soap, detergent, etc with subscribe and save.
Diapers are cheap on Amazon - but not cheaper than Costco. I signed up for Amazon Mom a couple of weeks ago and found that Costco still offers lower prices.

Costco:

180 Diapers for $38.99
Price per each: 0.22 cents

http://www.costco.com/Huggies%C2%AE-....11761477.html

Amazon Mom

192 Diapers for $44.94
Price per each: 0.23 cents

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...e_epc__1p_4_lm

-------------------

Although the difference is only a cent but just wanted to show you that without the Freedom 5% category, you'll still be better off in Costco.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.