Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mcdullhk88
Dead as of 10/13/14

Additionally, we have updated the terms and conditions of our User Agreement (https://payments.amazon.com/help/Personal-Accounts/User-Agreement-Policies/User-Agreement) that apply to your use of the products and services provided by Amazon Payments. Our updated User Agreement revises certain terms (including, among other things, the elimination of person-to-person payments). Our new User Agreement will become effective on October 13, 2014, which is more than 30 days from when we first posted our updated User Agreement. By continuing to use our services after October 13, 2014, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions of our new User Agreement.
FAQ's

Is Amazon Payments treated as a cash advance? No CC issuer has been reported as treating an AP transaction as a cash advance unless the sender selected "Payment is for Cash Advance" on the Send Money screen.
What does it mean when your payment is "pending"? Your payment will be reviewed. We are unsure whether this review is done by a human or computer. It should take less than 24 hours but is usually within minutes.
How should you describe your payment? "Goods or services" will allow you to charge with a CC and it will not be treated as a cash advance. Note: If you choose cash advance, it may be treated as such by your CC issuer; always choose Goods/Services. There is no reason to put anything in the optional description field - leave it blank.
What is the monthly limit for sending CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What is the monthly limit for receiving CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What if it is not allowing me to send/receive more than $500 or any at all? You probably have not verified your bank and/or added a CC. In order to get the full $1,000 allowance for sending and receiving you must have a bank verified AND a CC added to your account as a payment method.
Does AP qualify for special spending categories? Specifically it qualifies for Discover's (usually 4th quarter) category of online purchases but so far, not Chase's "5% CB on Amazon.com purchases." Refer to thread for other options.
Can you get shutdown? Yes.
How do you get shutdown? No one knows. Anecdotes are found throughout the thread. Some suspicious behavior that MIGHT get your AP account(s) shut down is listed below.
Which transaction is most advisable? A -> B -> C -> A (see here)
Are any fees charged during this process? No, not by Amazon Payments. If your transaction is treated as a cash advance by your card issuer--fees are possible. Beware and always double check that goods/services is selected!
Can you liquidate Amazon GC via AP? NO!
Can you liquidate other gift cards via AP? Yes. Note that you cannot liquidate the full value of a GC because amazon places a $1 hold while it verifies the validity of the GC. You can sometimes (not always) avoid the hold by entering an incorrect expiration date for the GC when adding it to your AP account, and after you have added it, go to "Edit my account settings," then to "Add edit or delete my credit cards" and edit the expiration date there.
When does the month end? It appears as if Amazon is on pacific time, so midnight PDT/PST is when the month resets.

It bears repeating that no one knows the methodology amazon uses to police AP transactions, determines which transactions violate its T&Cs, or identifies violators. However, various people in this thread and elsewhere have confirmed that their AP account(s) were shut down for the following reasons:
  • Associating one credit card number with more than one AP account (Be Careful if authorized user card has the same number as the primary card holder - in some instances the CC numbers are completely different)
  • Associating one bank account with more than one AP account
Print Wikipost

Amazon Payments

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2013, 1:13 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, IHG Spire, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by sharka
Thanks for the reply as I had the same thoughts as you about switching CC. Like I said it was a question raised on the Amex Serve thread that had me rethinking about this. Many on Serve said you can only add ONE credit card and can't switch it around like Amz. Serve have been known to shut down accts just on this issue.
Frankly, I don't even know if that is accurate.

Serve has issues when you try and add a card that isn't in "your" name. This includes those debit gift cards. Changing the funding source to another credit card *should* be easy enough.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 9:03 am

Read 30-40 pages of this and have done a few transfers.

Haven't figured out what card maximizes point value yet though.

My guess is AMEX GC bought at an office supply store on Ink for .6 cents per dollar? Or for those not into buying points 2.14 on the CSP used directly? Suggestions anyone - Feel free to PM.

I haven't figured out the thread tool search function yet. Everything I search for is too generic.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by anime333
Frankly, I don't even know if that is accurate.

Serve has issues when you try and add a card that isn't in "your" name. This includes those debit gift cards. Changing the funding source to another credit card *should* be easy enough.
Thanks, I could've misintrepreted some of the answers posted on the Serve thread b/c when I answered (on the Serve thread)that I normally switch about 4-5 CC a year to meet minimum spending, the reply was it cant be done with Serve and would result in shutdown.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by MaineCoon
I am doing A>B>C>D>A

where A and C is me with the different emails and bank accounts, and B and D is SO with the different emails and bank accounts.

I do think I am pretty safe for $4K a month.

But you can never be too sure.

Thoughts por favor.
That's my exact same setup, been running it for about 12 months now with no issues (not to say there won't be any, but so far so good)
Old Sep 11, 2013, 5:16 am

How can you set up two accounts for yourself? Did Amazon just ban people doing so?
Old Sep 11, 2013, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Deallover
How can you set up two accounts for yourself? Did Amazon just ban people doing so?
I for one am not comfortable doing more than 1 per unique person.
not sure if there is an age restriction though
Old Sep 11, 2013, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Mbcijim10
Read 30-40 pages of this and have done a few transfers.

Haven't figured out what card maximizes point value yet though.

My guess is AMEX GC bought at an office supply store on Ink for .6 cents per dollar? Or for those not into buying points 2.14 on the CSP used directly? Suggestions anyone - Feel free to PM.

I haven't figured out the thread tool search function yet. Everything I search for is too generic.
I am currently using AP to meet minimum spending.

In the end the most valuable points are those you will use. If you have more than 1 of these types of points, then the cost per point should guide you unless the value is different. MS without a goal may be more of a burden than a boon although it is hard to not do free MS

I am unsure which is best as well. I need to look at it more when I meet MS in between application cycles. A great use of your time may be to set up a goal trip for you, look at the miles you will need and work towards that OR to top of miles needed for a trip.

In terms of addresses, it is VERY common for even married couples to have separate finances. sending to someone in the same address due to separate bank accounts for separate bills is a valid reason. Just make sure you are consistent.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by chuzzlewit
That's my exact same setup, been running it for about 12 months now with no issues (not to say there won't be any, but so far so good)
So are we saying the AP system will allow you to set up more than 1 AP account with the same name and SSN as long as they have different email addresses and bank account numbers? With this, one could set up a lot more than 4 AP accounts.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:21 pm
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by CrediPig
So are we saying the AP system will allow you to set up more than 1 AP account with the same name and SSN as long as they have different email addresses and bank account numbers? With this, one could set up a lot more than 4 AP accounts.
Saying it's possible... yes. Saying you could be looking a gift horse in the mouth... also yes. Proceed at your own risk.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:56 pm

Programs: HiltonH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, Hyatt-Diamond,SPG-newbie
I also hear that AP allow 3 account per household (address). More at AP would be risky.

3 AP different email, bank account, CC seem to be safe so far.

@MaineCoon are you using same address for 4 AP?
Old Sep 16, 2013, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by CrediPig
$4K/mo is good enough for me.

Originally Posted by tdrag97
I also hear that AP allow 3 account per household (address). More at AP would be risky.

yep.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US

3? where did you hear that.. I have more than 4..
Old Sep 16, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: HiltonH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, Hyatt-Diamond,SPG-newbie
Originally Posted by iqbalt80
3? where did you hear that.. I have more than 4..
from this thread.. either that are they did something wrong and their account was closed. But no one really confirm what exactly happen.

Only thing I notice that is clear is:

1- one way transaction only
2- unique email per AP
3- unique bank account per AP
4- unique CC per AP

still look for way to maximize AP for a single household
5- stay under $20k+ per SSN
Old Sep 16, 2013, 7:47 pm

from this thread.. either that are they did something wrong and their account was closed. But no one really confirm what exactly happen.

Only thing I notice that is clear is:

1- one way transaction only
2- unique email per AP
3- unique bank account per AP
4- unique CC per AP

still look for way to maximize AP for a single household
5- stay under $20k+ per SSN

Not sure if I got this correct. If you set up more than one AP acct following the above, then it is possible to still do A to B and then B to C then C back to A for ALL accts. or does all AP accts have to use different receipients, ex: can't do A -B-C -A cycle for all accts that is set up.
And yes, I also read before from this very forum people were shut down for having more than one AP acct. That's the reason I never open more than just the one I have now. Not sure if AP does random audits and caught a few people in the past as it must be easier now to do since name and SSN are all the same. Harder in the past as I remember SSN were not required when I 1st joined?????
Old Sep 16, 2013, 9:34 pm

There is a limit of sending $1K/mo, is there a limit on receiving as well?

Originally Posted by phantomtiger
Not sure if I got this correct. If you set up more than one AP acct following the above, then it is possible to still do A to B and then B to C then C back to A for ALL accts. or does all AP accts have to use different receipients, ex: can't do A -B-C -A cycle for all accts that is set up.
And yes, I also read before from this very forum people were shut down for having more than one AP acct. That's the reason I never open more than just the one I have now. Not sure if AP does random audits and caught a few people in the past as it must be easier now to do since name and SSN are all the same. Harder in the past as I remember SSN were not required when I 1st joined?????
It's a game. You can be fouled out of the field at any time. Your risk tolerance level varies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.