Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Having a merchant account

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2011, 11:04 am

Programs: SPG Plat, WN CP, Many Others
Originally Posted by 2tall4economy
What about if you have a sale-leaseback arrangement with all the various legal docs; for example, I'm considering purchasing the house my brother lives in today, then renting it back to him.

He gets to keep the place he's at, I get fairly steady rental income, a tax deduction, and, god willing, home price appreciation. Plus when he moves out I get to rent it at a higher rate to someone else.

Would be really helpful to be able to use credit cards to pay the rent to my LLC (which is legitimately set up already to own and rent properties), which will take the payment as rent and pay out for mortgage / taxes / interest.

Would a merchant account get it's panties in a bunch for that?

I'd like to be able to take credit card payments for my rentals anyway instead of paypal / ach (or god forbid, checks in the mail) as I do today.

Any thoughts?
Between this and paying dealerships to use your credit card and having your wife paypal you money you sure love to give away your bottom line (fees) to these credit card companies dont you?
Old Sep 20, 2011, 3:23 pm
In memoriam

One thing to remember about merchant accounts starting this year. If you pass more than $20k through them and have at least 200 transactions - everything will be reported to the IRS. Robyn
Old Sep 20, 2011, 7:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nwa330
Does anyone have any experience charging for points using your own merchant account. Is It worth the fees for the miles you gain? If anyone has done this me share your experience.
Yes, no. Expensive miles and I've only done it in a situation where I was reaching a deadline and a points bonus was on the line.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 12:43 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by robyng
One thing to remember about merchant accounts starting this year. If you pass more than $20k through them and have at least 200 transactions - everything will be reported to the IRS. Robyn
But if they're really wash transactions, while the cc processor might get upset, it would be extremely difficult for the service to successfully claim these payments were income.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 7:35 am

Programs: AA LTG, Marriott LTP. 50% Delta LTS, Working on Hyatt LTD
Originally Posted by millere2
Between this and paying dealerships to use your credit card and having your wife paypal you money you sure love to give away your bottom line (fees) to these credit card companies dont you?
A fair point, but for min spend for bonus / annual spend bonuses, nearly always the answer is yes.

I fly long business class international flights out of pocket; anything under about 5 cpm is worth it to me (though on average i'm at 1.9 cpm).
Old Sep 21, 2011, 8:13 am

Programs: AA LT Gold (MM), WN A-List, Fairmont L/T Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 2tall4economy
A fair point, but for min spend for bonus / annual spend bonuses, nearly always the answer is yes.

I fly long business class international flights out of pocket; anything under about 5 cpm is worth it to me (though on average i'm at 1.9 cpm).
I just closed an account w/ authorize.net/i-payment. They withhold your cash and reconciliation is a PITA. Not to mention fees, more fees, fees on the fees, etc. My recommendation: F that. Save your time & energy. You get sent to the risk management at the blink of an eye (I got sent twice for legit transactions), and they work bankers hours as well. 2 people in the department, and both are always on vacation. If you like sitting on upside down bar stools, then definitely open up a merchant account.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 3:41 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by NYBanker
But if they're really wash transactions, while the cc processor might get upset, it would be extremely difficult for the service to successfully claim these payments were income.
That's my idea of fun - an IRS audit based on something I did to get some points or miles . FWIW - I'm not saying anyone would have an audit - just pointing out recent changes in the tax laws. Robyn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.