Wiki Posts
Search

Transit in KUL for >24hrs

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2022, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Transit in KUL for >24hrs

I'll be travelling through Kuala Lumpur Airport mid-May from Europe to Australia, and Malaysia Airlines have changed my flights so that I'd now be spending 26 hours in transit. All information points to not being allowed to spend longer than 24 hours in transit airside, so it looks like I'll have to enter Malaysia.

I understand I will have to do a successful RT-PCR test pre-departure, fill out all my details on MySejahtera, and then do a supervised lateral flow test as KUL airport on arrival. For COVID-19 insurance, will American Express Platinum's travel insurance be enough to satisfy this requirement?

All quite onerous but I have resigned to having to jump through required hoops in order to keep my itinerary.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 4:47 am

Programs: BAEC GOLD
It should go something like this

1. RT-PCR 2 days before departure. (some would suggest 48 hours to be on the safe side rather than 2 calendar days)
2. Vaccine cert into MySejahtera (takes a while for them to validate them),in the app a Traveller Card will be generated and you can upload your negative PCR results there.
3. During check in they'll check your PCR results, insurance, vaccination info and Travellers Card.
4. Arrival in KUL will be like pre covid, no further inspections etc.
5. Supervised lateral flow test (Malaysian term : Supervised/Professional RTK Antigen test) within 24 hours after arrival. It can be done elsewhere although there is a facility at the airport once you arrive. It is MYR160 though for foreigners, depending on where you stay you can easily do them from MYR30 - MYR70 at any private clinics outside. Most if not all clinics provide that service.

Regarding insurance, you would need to check the exact wording of the policy. It has to cover a minimum USD 20,000 of COVID related charges. The travel insurance from my Malaysian credit card do not cover COVID related expenses so you got to check with AMEX.

I've just entered Thailand with the Thailand Pass, trust me entering Malaysia is much more palatable.

Last edited by db07mufan; Apr 21, 2022 at 4:52 am
Old Apr 21, 2022, 9:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by turbo79
I understand I will have to do a successful RT-PCR test pre-departure, fill out all my details on MySejahtera, and then do a supervised lateral flow test as KUL airport on arrival. For COVID-19 insurance, will American Express Platinum's travel insurance be enough to satisfy this requirement?
You don't have to take the antigen test at the airport. You can download the Cleadoc app and use that app for a videoed, self-administered rapid antigen (lateral flow) test. It costs RM25 (4.50) each test plus the cost of a test kit in Malaysia (~RM6). So you can get a "supervised" test for RM31 (5.50). Or if you search around, there are plenty of clinics that'll do it for you (price varies according to clinics, but they are everywhere).

You can even use this app as negative proof to enter other countries (e.g. US).

Don't tell clinics you want a lateral flow test (most wouldn't know that term). Malaysia uses "RTK" or rapid test kit - antigen. Should cost less than RM70.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by nov11
You don't have to take the antigen test at the airport. You can download the Cleadoc app and use that app for a videoed, self-administered rapid antigen (lateral flow) test. It costs RM25 (4.50) each test plus the cost of a test kit in Malaysia (~RM6). So you can get a "supervised" test for RM31 (5.50).
For CLEA, must the kit be purchased in Malaysia, or can we use one of the kits purchased in the originating country?
Old Apr 21, 2022, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
For CLEA, must the kit be purchased in Malaysia, or can we use one of the kits purchased in the originating country?
You can use a kit from your originating country if it is MDA approved.
https://cleadoc.com/virtual-rtk-test-malaysia/
https://portal.mda.gov.my/announceme...ponent&print=1

I brought along and used the SD Biosensor Standard Q test kit which I got in Singapore.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Nope. Just need to be MDA approved per flyingbubbles. You should be able to use it to enter other countries that require an antigen test for entry too (e.g. US). Technically you need to be in Malaysia to use CLEA, but I looked at the app settings, they don't have access to your location - so you could be in Canada and you can use CLEA (with a MDA approved kit) and get the antigen negative result to enter US. Just be mindful of the time difference. You don't want your test result to show that you are in the future since Malaysia is at least 11 hours ahead of Canada
Old Apr 22, 2022, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by nov11
Just be mindful of the time difference. You don't want your test result to show that you are in the future since Malaysia is at least 11 hours ahead of Canada
Very good point!
Old Apr 27, 2022, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Thanks to everyone for their advice. I read in The Straits Times that from May 1, fully-vaccinated travellers will no longer require COVID tests and presumably no longer required to use MySejahtera. Good news!
Alawyer and orbitmic like this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by turbo79
Thanks to everyone for their advice. I read in The Straits Times that from May 1, fully-vaccinated travellers will no longer require COVID tests and presumably no longer required to use MySejahtera. Good news!
You aren't required to checkin using MySejahtera but you need the app to get your travelers card. It's dumb but it's something we have to deal with (just download the app and fill out the info required). It's a hassle but no approval is required etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.