Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

First flight w/ MH LHR to DPS - any special advice?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2019, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum

Hi All

A fairly open question just before the summer season: I am a fairly frequent traveller and have booked today flights with MH LHR-KUL-DPS given I found a good price.
We'll use the A350 and I've paid for Y bulk head seats. 737 from KUL to DPS. Will be my first flight with MH.

Is there any special advice for my travel? How's lounge in KUL for OWS Emerald (I might fall to Sapphire by then though). What to expect from crew/ food?

Cheers
Daniel
Old Jul 5, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: Enrich
There might be a chance that no alcohol available for flight between KUL and DPS, so it is better for you to get some in lounge if desired.

For lounge experience, you can check the lounge thread, and I believe most of us will suggest you to go to business class side
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Duck1981
Hi All

A fairly open question just before the summer season: I am a fairly frequent traveller and have booked today flights with MH LHR-KUL-DPS given I found a good price.
We'll use the A350 and I've paid for Y bulk head seats. 737 from KUL to DPS. Will be my first flight with MH.

Is there any special advice for my travel? How's lounge in KUL for OWS Emerald (I might fall to Sapphire by then though). What to expect from crew/ food?

Cheers
Daniel
London - you can try and see if the QR lounge will let you in as OWE.
Upon arrival in KUL, depending on time, use the Satellite MH Golden lounge. There is a separate section for OWE members. Alcohol available here. The regional lounge is based at the Main Terminal and there is no alcohol served there. So if you want a better experience stay at this side and then go to your gate after.

Nothing special on board. But you may ask to get assigned emergency exit seats at the airport for the KUL-DPS flight.

On the A350, there are a few rows with extra legroom, the supposedly premium economy section.. but best if you have purchased the emergency exit seats instead. I always find that the bulkhead seats are really too cramped.
Duck1981 likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:08 pm

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
....The regional lounge is based at the Main Terminal and there is no alcohol served there.
Unless something has changed very recently alcohol is served in the Regional lounge in the Main Terminal.

No alcohol is served in the Domestic lounge in the Main Terminal, which is a different lounge.
nancypants and Duck1981 like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:25 pm

Programs: MH Gold, AC Super Elite, UA Platinum, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by minz56
Unless something has changed very recently alcohol is served in the Regional lounge in the Main Terminal.

No alcohol is served in the Domestic lounge in the Main Terminal, which is a different lounge.
yes, I confirm this is correct.
Duck1981 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by quinzinho
yes, I confirm this is correct.
Thanks, so I believe the DPS flight will depart from the Reginal terminal - is that lounge then called 'regional' lounge? Not that I am a severe alcoholic (at least I hope so) but a few drinks during 3:10hrs of wait would be appreciated I guess. I know I can use the OW Lounge finder but I guess you/ one of the others has a better answer

Or will it be a separate terminal/ satellite where only this MH lounge will be anyway? Sorry for my beginner questions but I was only once in KUL, arriving with Air Asia X from Tokyo (and I think that was a completely separate terminal - it looked rater basic, at least arrivals)
Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:47 am

Air Asia departs / arrives at a completely separate AIRPORT (KLIA2) than MH (KLIA1) - not just a different "terminal".
Old Jul 9, 2019, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Air Asia departs / arrives at a completely separate AIRPORT (KLIA2) than MH (KLIA1) - not just a different "terminal".
Yea, it’s very confusing... klia2 (which replaced the LCCT) is just another terminal of the Kuala Lumpur International Airport. Pretty sure all 3 parallel runways are interconnected and technically could be used for any of the terminals, though it’s not the practice.

KLIA is used to refer to the other two buildings - the Main Building and the Satellite Building - as if one terminal (sort of like Narita T2, with its satellite wing or T1 at Charles de Gaulle), but KL International Airport encompasses all 3.

(They were actually planning airside transit between KLIA and klia2 a while ago, but no recent news on that...)

Subang / Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport, however, is definitely a different airport.
nancypants, minz56 and Duck1981 like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: MH Gold, AC Super Elite, UA Platinum, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Duck1981
Thanks, so I believe the DPS flight will depart from the Reginal terminal - is that lounge then called 'regional' lounge? Not that I am a severe alcoholic (at least I hope so) but a few drinks during 3:10hrs of wait would be appreciated I guess. I know I can use the OW Lounge finder but I guess you/ one of the others has a better answer

Or will it be a separate terminal/ satellite where only this MH lounge will be anyway? Sorry for my beginner questions but I was only once in KUL, arriving with Air Asia X from Tokyo (and I think that was a completely separate terminal - it looked rater basic, at least arrivals)
OK, since your DPS flight is on a 737 it will likely depart from the main terminal. Indeed that's the regional lounge which I'd recommend you to use. If it were on an A330 it would likely depart from the satellite terminal.
I would't really go out of my way to go to the F lounge at the satellite terminal as it's (in my opinion) not so fantastic. It is the only MH lounge that serves champagne though.
Duck1981 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by quinzinho
OK, since your DPS flight is on a 737 it will likely depart from the main terminal. Indeed that's the regional lounge which I'd recommend you to use. If it were on an A330 it would likely depart from the satellite terminal.
I would't really go out of my way to go to the F lounge at the satellite terminal as it's (in my opinion) not so fantastic. It is the only MH lounge that serves champagne though.
Thanks a lot! Very helpful. I'll leave the Champagne for the return then
quinzinho likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Pretty sure it's the *same airport*. It's a different terminal. No matter which airline you fly into KLIA, your bag tag will read "KUL" and ICAO code is WMKK.

This all begun when they chose the name for the new terminal. Instead of commonly used terms such as Terminal 1/2 or A/B, they decided to fix what's not broken and call it KLIA2 for Terminal 2 and confused everyone!
SilverChris likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:20 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
You can use the lounge in the Satellite or the one in the regional part of the terminal you just need to allow longer to get from the satellite one to the terminal. I on my last flight from London used the satellite terminal (empty in the morning) before moving on to the regional terminal for the last half hour in the other lounge

My experience in Business class twice last year from London was some excellent Malaysian food if you like it and generally good to excellent western food (apart from breakfast where I would definitely go for the Malay option) As for the crew it is always difficult as they vary. My experience was that they were acceptable but not exceptional

No alcohol on short haul

If MAS use the Garuda lounge in DPS I sincerely hope it has improved since I was there the food was truly a health hazard with food left to go cold on the counter and reheated when I complained about it being cold
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nov11
Pretty sure it's the *same airport*. It's a different terminal. No matter which airline you fly into KLIA, your bag tag will read "KUL" and ICAO code is WMKK.

This all begun when they chose the name for the new terminal. Instead of commonly used terms such as Terminal 1/2 or A/B, they decided to fix what's not broken and call it KLIA2 for Terminal 2 and confused everyone!
Haha thanks - that explains why I saw some pictures on Wikipedia and I thought that has nothing to do w/ my outbound/ return on Air Asia
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by amnicoll
You can use the lounge in the Satellite or the one in the regional part of the terminal you just need to allow longer to get from the satellite one to the terminal. I on my last flight from London used the satellite terminal (empty in the morning) before moving on to the regional terminal for the last half hour in the other lounge

My experience in Business class twice last year from London was some excellent Malaysian food if you like it and generally good to excellent western food (apart from breakfast where I would definitely go for the Malay option) As for the crew it is always difficult as they vary. My experience was that they were acceptable but not exceptional

No alcohol on short haul

If MAS use the Garuda lounge in DPS I sincerely hope it has improved since I was there the food was truly a health hazard with food left to go cold on the counter and reheated when I complained about it being cold
Thanks - unfortunately I will be in Y on that one....
What's the time required from the satellite to come to regional terminal? I am an expert in almost missing flights by staying too long in the lounge

I know only the Priority Pass lounge in DPS which was - to say best very mediocre - but I've read too many bad things re/ the Garuda lounge so no chance I will visit that one
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:15 am

Satellite Building to the Main Building is ~2min by the AeroTrain, and run ~5mins between if only one of the two trains is running; quite quick. The terminal buildings aren’t large either, maybe 7-10mins end to end of either, and that’s only if you’re really lollygagging!

Note that you should be at the gate ~20mins before departure, else they can close the flight. Also, the security screening will be at the gate itself.

If you’re at the Regional lounge going to a satellite gate (e.g. C12), leave 40mins ahead is quite comfy. Satellite Golden Lounge to Main Building gates (G & H), maybe leave 45mins before the flight, because you have to walk a bit to go down a level. For your first time, though, maybe want a 5min buffer to get your bearings...

Last edited by crackjack; Jul 10, 2019 at 7:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.