Search

A330 swapped for A380 MEL - KUL

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
A330 swapped for A380 MEL - KUL

Hi,

Looking to book a flight for Tuesday 25th June. Expertflyer and MH website are showing the MEL - KUL MH148 as a A380.

Can anyone confirm if that is correct?

Regards,

Kernow
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:23 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
why not ask MH direct as would be immediately obvious when selecting seat
Old Jun 22, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by Kernow
Hi,

Looking to book a flight for Tuesday 25th June. Expertflyer and MH website are showing the MEL - KUL MH148 as a A380.

Can anyone confirm if that is correct?

Regards,

Kernow
That is correct. I just received an e-mail from MH with the title "Fly to Melbourne with our Iconic A380" for one week only. Until 28 June 2019. Book now!

I mean I can leave on a whim, but how many people from KL plans last minute trip to MEL for holidays (to fly the A380 nonetheless) but you won't be able to return to KL for weeks because Victoria school holidays begin 28th June and flights are sold out until July (except for the A380 flights)

Last edited by nov11; Jun 22, 2019 at 10:30 am
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by nov11
That is correct. I just received an e-mail from MH with the title "Fly to Melbourne with our Iconic A380" for one week only. Until 28 June 2019. Book now!

I mean I can leave on a whim, but how many people from KL plans last minute trip to MEL for holidays (to fly the A380 nonetheless) but you won't be able to return to KL for weeks because Victoria school holidays begin 28th June and flights are sold out until July (except for the A380 flights)
I was wondering about school holidays... I'm looking to depart in early August and for some reason, fares are particular high..(I'm looking at regional departures - ex-KUL/SIN) Can you shed some light on this?
Old Jun 22, 2019, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I was wondering about school holidays... I'm looking to depart in early August and for some reason, fares are particular high..(I'm looking at regional departures - ex-KUL/SIN) Can you shed some light on this?
Malaysia school holidays begins 10th August and it's a long weekend (12th is a public holiday in Malaysia).

And then a few other long weekends coming up in September:
31/8 to 2/9 - National Day and Awal Muharram
9/9 - King's Birthday
16/9 - Malaysia Day

3-day weekend for 3 consecutive weeks
Old Jun 23, 2019, 4:26 am

Simple answer is very few but given that for whatever reason they have put the A380 on the route the marketing people have to do their best to fill it. You never know there could be some fantastic prices
Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I believe Singapore schools are out until next weekend? Perhaps this is why, though the switch does seem a bit last minute if the decision was just made....
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:28 am

Why would people from Singapore head north to Malaysia to fly to Melbourne when there are direct flights from Singapore no doubt with A380 as well

the reason is far likely to be operational
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:38 am

I don’t know that is is, but there’s a very reasonable rationale to fly via KUL: price.

For example (in SGD):
MH: 25-29 July SIN-MEL rt: $835
QF: 25-29 July SIN-MEL rt: $1336
SQ: 25-29 July SIN-MEL rt: $1880

I’d take the extra hours flight time if I was saving SGD500 a person. For a group, that can be significant.

And I say that knowing that the MH A380 is not a great experience anymore, way too tired and in need of a major overhaul, but hard to argue given the (last minute) savings.

Again, if it is due to Singapore school holidays, the decision seems very last-minute given they end this Saturday...

Last edited by crackjack; Jun 24, 2019 at 6:46 am
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Unless every other airline operating from every port in Australia to KUL or any port in Asia is also sold out until July, then I don't see that getting home would be so problematic...
Attached Images  
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Unless every other airline operating from every port in Australia to KUL or any port in Asia is also sold out until July, then I don't see that getting home would be so problematic...
I don't mean I am literally flying to MEL on a whim. I am just saying that the return flights on MH are sold out or exorbitant (one-way MH fares to MEL are quite expensive) because of the school holidays. But when MH swapped the A333 last minute to MEL, they created cheap buckets to MEL (both in Y and J) but not on the return sector
Old Jun 24, 2019, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
But when MH swapped the A333 last minute to MEL, they created cheap buckets to MEL (both in Y and J) but not on the return sector
But the same effect will have happened in the opposite direction, too. The A380 will need to come back to KUL, so late availability will have been added for the week that the A380 is operating in the other direction, too!

You could, for example, have booked travel down to MEL at the start of the A380 week when the surplus seats went on sale, and booked a return towards the end of the A380 week too, taking advantage of the surplus seats in both directions.

And my point was more along the lines of: just because you flew to MEL on a whim on the A380, doesn't mean that you have to return on an A380, or even on MH. If someone is going to book a trip on a whim at the last minute, they will likely be able to find another way of getting home, such as the flights I posted above ;-)
Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by crackjack
I don’t know that is is, but there’s a very reasonable rationale to fly via KUL: price.

For example (in SGD):
MH: 25-29 July SIN-MEL rt: $835
QF: 25-29 July SIN-MEL rt: $1336
SQ: 25-29 July SIN-MEL rt: $1880

I’d take the extra hours flight time if I was saving SGD500 a person. For a group, that can be significant.

And I say that knowing that the MH A380 is not a great experience anymore, way too tired and in need of a major overhaul, but hard to argue given the (last minute) savings.

Again, if it is due to Singapore school holidays, the decision seems very last-minute given they end this Saturday...
Sure with a good price then yes many would take the longer journey but the A380 is only scheduled to operate for a week this month so July prices irrelevant
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: Enrich
Originally Posted by amnicoll
Why would people from Singapore head north to Malaysia to fly to Melbourne when there are direct flights from Singapore no doubt with A380 as well

Actually, there are a lot of passenger doing this. I always fly from KUL to SIN during friday night, and always see at least half of the flight passenger are heading for Japan, UK and Australia connecting flight.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:42 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by amnicoll

Some are willing to trade a bit of time for what can be rather substantial savings. Conversely, there are plenty of ex-KUL travellers who fly via SIN on their way to Europe, Northeast Asia, and just about anywhere north of Malaysia, for reasons that aren't limited to SQ's superior product.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.