Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

First time using KL Sentral bag check in - advice please

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold

I have my first visit to Malaysia coming up next week and I am spending my first night at the Hilton beside Sentral Station.

The following morning my plan was to leave between 09:00 and 10:00 and head back to the airport for the 13:45 MH flight to PEN.

I only discovered last night that there was a MH check in facility at the station and I wanted to ask if this timescale would be sufficient to check in a bag and that that it would be quicker to do so at the station rather than at KUL? (I’m flying in biz and am OW Sapphire if that makes any difference).

If anyone has any useful travel tips to pass on to a first time flyer on MH and visitor to KUL, they will be gladly received!
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:08 am

First, trust you've read the relevant FAQs:
https://www.kliaekspres.com/faqs/

You're supposed to check in bags at KL Sentral >2hrs before your flight. I've never used the service myself (I don't travel 'heavy' through KL, so manage my own bags), but since you're looking at >3hrs and if it is a hassle managing your baggage, go for it.

However, business class check in at KLIA will be quite fast too (at least 1hr before flight). If you're rushing for a train (which you shouldn't need to w/ 3hrs) or if you want that extra sense of security, you just take the bags personally to the airport. I've never been on a KLIA Ekspres which is full, so usually there's place for one's allowed 3x30kg bags. (The 'local' KLIA Transit trains through Putrajaya can be packed though... but you would just go on the express KLIA Ekspres version.)

The KLIA Express is <RM50 if you tap in directly at the turnstile with a Visa *Paywave* card (+ foreign transaction fees) or RM55 at the ticket window just before, and will take <40mins to KLIA. It drops you off right below the terminal, so minimal walking too: essentially, you can just take the elevator directly to the top floor, and walk straight through the check in counters, get scanned by the guard at the escalators down to emigration (can also use OLCI / Passbook boarding pass too).

With a business class ticket, you can use the VIP emigration desk, and should be through a lot quicker even if there is a crowd; you may hit the crowd at the not-airplane-security metal detectors just after emigration, but usually those move quickly, and IIRC there's a Business class line to the left.

I would think that, from getting off the train to the main terminal airside, it would take no more than 20 minutes for a regular traveller in business class, so if one timed it perfectly, 1hr from Sentral to the Main terminal; for someone who is used o it, a train leaving Sentral 1.5hrs before a flight is doable.

Havig said that, as a first time traveller, take it easy. Leaving the Hilton at 10:45am to even get an 11:20am (or 11:40am) train should work out just fine.

Last edited by crackjack; Apr 12, 2019 at 8:30 am
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
I love check in at KL Sentral. I use it even if I dont have a check in bag just to get my boarding pass/any visa check. I find it more convenient than doing it at the airport.

i normally leave my KLCC office around 3 hours before my flight, taxi or LRT to Sentral, buy ticket, check in, train, immigration fast track and then am normally in the lounge with time to finish off any work or have some food before my flight.

when you go into the train station, check to see when the next train leaves - I wouldn't miss a train in order to use the check in, but so long as there is 7 mins before departure you should be fine. You need to buy your ticket before checking in. There are machines as well as counters. Note that you can also buy a ticket from the counter at the check in entrance.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Bag drop closes 2 hours before departure at Sentral station.

Trains depart every 20 mins outside of the morning and evening rush. The 11:20 train will get you there just before noon, leaving you with an hour or so in the lounge.

Originally Posted by crackjack
The KLIA Express is <RM50 if you tap in with a Visa card (+ foreign transaction fees), and takes <40mins to KLIA. It drops you off right below the terminal, so minimal walking too: essentially, you can just take the elevator directly to the top floor, and walk straight through the check in counters, get scanned by the military personnel at the escalators down to emigration (can also use OLCI / Passbook boarding pass too).

Plus, with a business class ticket, you will hit the VIP immigration desk, and should be through a lot quicker even if there is a crowd (you will hit it at the not-airplane-security metal detectors just after emigration, but usually those move quickly, and there's a Business class one to the left)..
I don’t think the OP will need to deal with immigration and “military personnel” for a PEN departure
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:35 am

Oops, missed that it was to PEN!

Well then, even 2hrs might be too much! No, seriously, the 11:20am (or 11:40am) train would get one to the airport quite comfortably.

Yea... not sure whether the guys at the emigration escalators are military or not, but they are definitely more the business than the standard security personnel at KLIA!

Last edited by crackjack; Apr 12, 2019 at 8:58 am
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by want2goeverywhere
Note that you can also buy a ticket from the counter at the check in entrance.
Not the case anymore, you can use a Visa Paywave card similar to a TouchnGo (ie tap at the turnstile), and you still will get 15% off:
https://www.kliaekspres.com/visapaywave-promotion/
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Visa paywave = RM 46.75

Checking in bags at KL Sentral is only useful if:

- You're in economy class with zero status and don't want to wait forever to check-in at the airport
- You've got a lot of bags (or children) and don't want to carry bags on the train

The good thing is that you can check in at KL Sentral, then go back to your hotel for breakfast/do some shopping elsewhere in KL etc, and take the train when you're ready.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:02 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by crackjack

Not the case anymore, you can use a Visa Paywave card similar to a TouchnGo (ie tap at the turnstile), and you still will get 15% off:
Good to know - I pretty much always need a receipt so don't tend to do this.
Non Compos Mentis likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for their advice and thoughts.

^
Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
You can also buy tickets online - and get rt for 90 myr. Saves time not having to deal with machines.
You can only use the Sentral bag checkin if you are using the express train - there is usually no line for check in (at least the times I've been there (or one person ahead of me)
If you're only there overnight you might want to wander in the "Little India" area or the shopping mall attached to the train station. Both accessible by walking.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by estnet
You can also buy tickets online - and get rt for 90 myr. Saves time not having to deal with machines.
You can only use the Sentral bag checkin if you are using the express train - there is usually no line for check in (at least the times I've been there (or one person ahead of me)
If you're only there overnight you might want to wander in the "Little India" area or the shopping mall attached to the train station. Both accessible by walking.
thanks Estnet - this is what I did and got the ticket for 90 MYR.

I will bear little India in mind for next week when I get back.

C.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: Enrich
Originally Posted by d00t
Visa paywave = RM 46.75

Checking in bags at KL Sentral is only useful if:

- You're in economy class with zero status and don't want to wait forever to check-in at the airport
- You've got a lot of bags (or children) and don't want to carry bags on the train

The good thing is that you can check in at KL Sentral, then go back to your hotel for breakfast/do some shopping elsewhere in KL etc, and take the train when you're ready.
The 15% discount apply on pay wave? I always thought only apply on the kiosk, or it is only apply for KLIA express since I always get out at TBS thru transit?
Old Apr 21, 2019, 6:41 am

According to the website:
  1. The 15% discount is applicable to all purchase transactions based on full Adult fare at the KLIA Ekspres gates only using Visa payWave cards issued in Malaysia or overseas.
  2. The promotion is applicable to KLIA Ekspres train rides from KL Sentral to KLIA or KLIA2, and vice versa only.
7. The discount is not applicable to other payment channels such as the KLIA Ekspres website or ticket counter.
On the other hand, you are getting the lower RM38 fare to / from TBS-BTS via the KLIA Transit (albeit with the slower ride, larger Putrajaya crowds... and not the cheaper cost you'd get if you jump out at Putrajaya then hop on the next train ). If you don't need to go all the way to Sentral though, definitely can make sense.

Last edited by crackjack; Apr 21, 2019 at 7:03 am
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: Enrich
ok, means I'm gotta stick with kiosk payment if go BTS then. Since if pay via kiosk on VISA card also entitle for 10 to 15% discount
Old Aug 8, 2019, 9:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Do you know how early we can check-in baggage at KL Sentral? Our flight is at 9am so in a perfect world I'd like get rid of the bags the night before and have an easy journey to the airport in the morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.