Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Firefly suspending all flights to Singapore

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Firefly suspending all flights to Singapore

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Never heard anything from Firefly, but they did refund my credit card.

I ended up flying in to JHB and it was about a 90 minute trip to downtown Singapore on the afternoon of December 26.
ashkale likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: Enrich
Originally Posted by Doppy
Never heard anything from Firefly, but they did refund my credit card.

I ended up flying in to JHB and it was about a 90 minute trip to downtown Singapore on the afternoon of December 26.
hm... does it happens the fireflyz email went into junk mail? Just make sure you did occasionally received their ads email between the time.

This kind of issue happens sometimes but not quite rare... or else they contact you via the wrong email

But at least you got your money back, still a good news
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:11 pm

I'm guessing firefly are gong to restart operations in the near future

Malaysia, Singapore agree to suspend permanent restricted area over Pasir Gudang, ILS for Seletar Airport
Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:28 am

The article is not clear if Seletar Airport can be reopened without the 'ILS' being used. Still, there seems to be progress towards an amicable solution, but it may take months, if not longer...

Hopefully the Johor Sultan's expected naming as King will be a positive to Singapore-Malaysia relations, given his & his family's ties with Singapore.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by crackjack
The article is not clear if Seletar Airport can be reopened without the 'ILS' being used. Still, there seems to be progress towards an amicable solution, but it may take months, if not longer...

Hopefully the Johor Sultan's expected naming as King will be a positive to Singapore-Malaysia relations, given his & his family's ties with Singapore.
I honestly don't know why the ILS triggered such a firestorm, other than political posturing
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:13 pm

Programs: Enrich
When involves radio signal transmission, and development restriction due to the flight path, then it becomes very complicated.

All the building along the landing/take-off will have height restriction. But radio signal transmission from one country to another country does need alots of coordination talk and approval. Even when my work requires frequency filing for approval in Singapore for research purpose, the process just simply take long, lots of term and document, and not guarantee to be approved.

Each country can be said own all the frequency band in their territory, so it definitely complicated, especially when added politic into it.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dici
hm... does it happens the fireflyz email went into junk mail? Just make sure you did occasionally received their ads email between the time.
I checked and nothing. What is upsetting to me is that if they had alerted me to the problem earlier I could have gotten on a convenient non-stop to SIN around the same time, instead of flying to JHB and driving. By the time I found out on my own, the flight to SIN was sold out.

At least I was lucky enough to check in advance - I wonder how many people have shown up at the airport to find out their flight is canceled and there are no options at that point.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:00 pm

No real news in recent days specific to Seletar, but last line I. The following article notes Firefly is expected to lose ~US$5m per week it's not operating to Singapore:
What's behind the Malaysia-Singapore dispute? , Malaysia News - AsiaOne
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Just took firefly from JHB to SZB, no same day changes or standby available without a crazy fee, double of the intended flights ticket. I also heard that MH has stopped this from SIN too- used to be a really great positive for the airline, sadly the new management is keen to run this to ground again.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 3:00 am

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Originally Posted by crackjack
No real news in recent days specific to Seletar, but last line I. The following article notes Firefly is expected to lose ~US$5m per week it's not operating to Singapore:
What's behind the Malaysia-Singapore dispute? , Malaysia News - AsiaOne
Originally Posted by ashkale
.....sadly the new management is keen to run this to ground again.
I read an article last year which said Firefly was losing 40M per year. Now an additional 5M per week?

I seriously don't know how Malaysia Airlines justifies staying in business..
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by d00t
I read an article last year which said Firefly was losing 40M per year. Now an additional 5M per week?

I seriously don't know how Malaysia Airlines justifies staying in business..
Easy really, it's a government entity and the prestige value matters. Also, the fact that Singapore Airlines and Malaysian were both part of the same company means there is probably an element of rivalry.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Really? Compete with SQ ?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:20 pm

They don't compete for business, but for prestige... If Malaysia ran as a normal business it would have gone bust many years ago.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:16 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
FY - you are missed (even with your crappy turbo prop planes)

3 months later & still no FY flights to Subang
And last Mon. a fatal incident at SZB airport -

https://www.malaymail.com/news/malay...mature/1735205

KUALA LUMPUR, March 21 — Berjaya tycoon Tan Sri Vincent Tan today blamed airport authorities after a man died in a runway collision involving his company jet at the Subang airport.
The Berjaya Group executive chairman said he was setting the record straight with regards to the death of Malaysia Airports Holding Berhad (MAHB) employee Mohd Ruzaimi Iskandar Ahmad Razali, 39, who died from injuries sustained when a descending airplane crashed into his vehicle on the tarmac at the Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport, which is run by MAHB, last Monday.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by kaffir76
3 months later & still no FY flights to Subang
Lots of flights to SZB.... from Trengganu, Alor Setar, Penang, even Johor Bahru.

From Singapore, however, going to be a while longer... there's still no real movement from either side, even though the suspension agreement expires in 9 days.

I'm somewhat surprised Singapore hasn't just moved FY back to Changi in the interim, but I guess they've got no incentive to help a Malaysian carrier due to what they see it as unnecessary brinksmanship from Putrajaya's side. Seletar is really a pet project, helps shift lower-profit traffic away from their true money-maker, Changi.

Last edited by crackjack; Mar 22, 2019 at 7:23 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.