FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Malaysia Airlines | Enrich (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/malaysia-airlines-enrich-758/)
-   -   Firefly suspending all flights to Singapore (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/malaysia-airlines-enrich/1941971-firefly-suspending-all-flights-singapore.html)

brbear Nov 24, 2018 3:03 am

Firefly suspending all flights to Singapore

MH's turboprop operation appears to have hit a snag on the planned move from Changi to Seletar:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...thority-raises

Two days after Malaysian carrier Firefly made a shocking announcement that it would suspend all flights to Singapore from Dec 1, the reason has emerged: It has not received approval from its regulator, the Civil Aviation Authority of Malaysia (CAAM), to move from Changi to Seletar Airport.

SQTraveller Nov 25, 2018 10:32 pm

Interested to know why there is a delay in the approval from the Malaysia side. Any thoughts?

ashkale Nov 26, 2018 1:57 am

Seems rather strange, seletar airport might not be a registered airport in Malaysian systems or registered as an enemy airport, who knows.

gilbertaue Nov 26, 2018 6:58 am

Like crybabies: "they were not consulted".
And coffee is running out.

crackjack Dec 3, 2018 9:09 pm

Apparently more involved than a simple approval to the request... Dr. M playing the long game as always:
https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nati...anding-system/

d00t Dec 3, 2018 10:21 pm

Presumably, FY is shuttling existing pax onto MH, which will affect traditional MH focused pax which now need to pay more since the loads will be higher. This may cause direct revenue loss for MH as it 'prices out' previously loyal customers.

If you're now forced to go to KLIA/KLIA2 - may as well choose the cheapest flights to Singapore since the added expense in getting to/from the airport as opposed to SZB.

Gives passengers a chance to try a new airline. Then, combined with less infrastructure at Seletar..... not a great outlook

crackjack Dec 4, 2018 9:46 am

Until this tiff between CAAM and CAAS is fixed, nothing MAB can really do. And since there seems to be a fundamental difference between Singapore and Malaysia authorities, seems like this might become protracte.

Anyway, there are also the highway buses as alternatives... Transtar between Jln Imbi and downtown Singapore, in 5hrs is not bad!
(Don't even think KTM... though there's HSR by 2031... maybe?)

teo1991 Dec 8, 2018 1:10 am

Originally Posted by crackjack (Post 30497879)
Until this tiff between CAAM and CAAS is fixed, nothing MAB can really do. And since there seems to be a fundamental difference between Singapore and Malaysia authorities, seems like this might become protracte.

Anyway, there are also the highway buses as alternatives... Transtar between Jln Imbi and downtown Singapore, in 5hrs is not bad!
(Don't even think KTM... though there's HSR by 2031... maybe?)

5hr KL-Singapore might not be possible during festive season and long holiday as the highway traffic will be bad
finger crossed FY will reinstate the flight soon
Dont really like the move to seletar as there seems to be nothing there and connectivity is not really good
the consolation is the lower airport tax lol!

ashkale Dec 8, 2018 1:42 am

Flying into JB is also an option for those with work at North or West of the Island. The Firefly issue is entirely Malaysian made though, and sooner the resolution better for Malaysians and it's residents.

crackjack Dec 8, 2018 4:03 am

Originally Posted by teo1991 (Post 30511798)
5hr KL-Singapore might not be possible during festive season and long holiday as the highway traffic will be bad
finger crossed FY will reinstate the flight soon

100% agree on this; the NSH / E2 between Melaka and JB is 2-lane, and gets bogged down sometimes even on regular weekends... and the Causeway on a national holiday on either side is a nightmare.

Still, for most days, 5hrs is definitely doable, and for ~US$50 rt, flat rate. Essentially, less than double the time of the Firefly flights, for <50% of the cost?

Doppy Dec 15, 2018 4:35 pm

I'm supposed to fly this route from Ipoh in about a week - glad I decided to search the news to see how things were going at Seletar - Firefly hasn't bothered to contact me to let me know there might be a problem.

dici Dec 16, 2018 1:56 am

Originally Posted by Doppy (Post 30539713)
I'm supposed to fly this route from Ipoh in about a week - glad I decided to search the news to see how things were going at Seletar - Firefly hasn't bothered to contact me to let me know there might be a problem.

I think it is better to double check with them. As they have announced all service to Singapore is suspended, which I believe including Ipoh-Singapore route. From flightradar data, there is no flight between Ipoh and Singapore for the entire month.

Did you receive any email from them about flight suspend? Not on the specific flight ticket you book. Not sure if they sent out a mass email to those affected customer, which may looks like a regular announcement email

Doppy Dec 16, 2018 8:42 am

No communication from Firefly whatsoever. I booked the ticket directly on their website and they have my email address, and also charged me MYR2 at booking to send me SMS updates and nothing there either. It's really criminal, this could really strand someone at an airport with not a lot of options.

I'm deciding now whether to fly Scoot to SIN in the evening, which is several hours later than the Firefly flight, which is not a time I prefer, or a Malindo flight to JHB, which is close to the original time of the Firefly flight.

dici Dec 16, 2018 4:54 pm

If you plan to fly to JHB, I would suggest avoid any flight that lets you reach the immigration between 5pm to 8pm, because this is the most disaster period for weekday. But for weekend, I would say it is better to fly by scoot.

If you have a luggage, and plan to bring some items, then I would also suggest directly fly to Singapore, because the Singapore custom in JB-Woodland is more strict than the airport, due to the reason that many Singaporeans go to JB for grocery shopping.

But anyway, call Firefly to get your money back too

Doppy Dec 16, 2018 7:32 pm

[QUOTE=dici;30542720]If you plan to fly to JHB, I would suggest avoid any flight that lets you reach the immigration between 5pm to 8pm, because this is the most disaster period for weekday. But for weekend, I would say it is better to fly by scoot./QUOTE]
The flight is scheduled to land at 2pm on December 25. Would that be OK for traffic?

Is it possible to get a private transfer directly from Senai to a final destination in Singapore, or does one have to transfer along the way to cross the border?