Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH randomly cancelling flights (domestic problem only?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:58 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC

Have read a similar post under a different thread so decided to start a dedicated thread on this topic.

Second time now.

8am flight KUL to KCH today cancelled and guests put onto the 11am flight. They tried calling at 4:30am (!!!) to advise of the change. Why does MH not plan ahead?! Why can't they call at 9pm?! (in the hope that till 4am they may still get 50pax bookings?)

This is really poor form.

​​​
quinzinho likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 4:19 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Firstly, I am sorry for the cancellation, that is poor form.

Where you talking about this thread?

Well I heard somewhere (possibly here) that they were having staffing problems, so they had to consolidated many flight, or otherwise just move the passengers to other airlines outright.

I don't think international flights are immune, as SIN and BKK seem to regularly get cancelled as well.

I was on a Strait Shuttle (SIN to KUL) that was supposedly cancelled last minute two months ago, and was booked on a PEN flight which also got cancelled (without proactively rebooking on an alternative, viable flight - I was rebooked onto a flight that arrives hours after my same-PNR connection).

Sad to see how this is the state of MH these days.
gilbertaue and ashkale like this.

Last edited by clubeurope; Aug 10, 2018 at 10:44 pm Reason: wording mistake
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:15 pm
Original Poster
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Yes, thank you for that link.
I'll leave it to the mod, but maybe it would be good to have a clearer (general) headline so it's easy to find.

Very sad state of affairs. I booked my staff on AirAsia and saw that MH was marginally more expensive for a different return schedule which suited me better. So I decided to book on MH. But this will now make me re-evaluate my future bookings.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:29 pm

My flight from Tokyo to KL is 'delayed' almost 12 hours. It seems another flight was also cancelled this week. How can MAS let this happen so frequently and with important routes.
MAS (is going down) will go down again. Sad. Their service on board is not bad. Their management though...
gilbertaue likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

My fight to KCH has been upgauged to a A330 - seat map a complete mess and we are all seated seperately. No single window seat available either.

Ah.. But we got a breakfast voucher
Value of the voucher: RM13.
​​​​​
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: MH Gold, AC Super Elite, UA Platinum, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
These last-minute cancellations due to poor planning shouldn't be a surprise [Moderator edit.] If you live/work in Malaysia you come to know this.
Therefore the appointment of their CEO is such a bad mistake, inspired by ignorant nationalism. They should've appointed a foreigner with a credible track record.
gilbertaue likes this.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Aug 11, 2018 at 9:12 am Reason: Per FT Rule 12, to avoid stereotypes based on nationality.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

I do live and work here.

Just that this has become MUCH worse in the past year.
quinzinho likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:06 am

Programs: MH Gold, AC Super Elite, UA Platinum, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by gilbertaue
I do live and work here.

Just that this has become MUCH worse in the past year.
Yes , I noticed the same. Timing coincides with CEO appointment. Not saying it's a 100% direct result of this appointment, but definitely the guy is to blame for this since he has the final responsibility.
clubeurope and gilbertaue like this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:49 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by quinzinho
Yes , I noticed the same. Timing coincides with CEO appointment. Not saying it's a 100% direct result of this appointment, but definitely the guy is to blame for this since he has the final responsibility.
still sad from Bellew's departure I am.
gilbertaue likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by jgchiker
My flight from Tokyo to KL is 'delayed' almost 12 hours. It seems another flight was also cancelled this week. How can MAS let this happen so frequently and with important routes.
MAS (is going down) will go down again. Sad. Their service on board is not bad. Their management though...
Was your NRT flight delayed due to the effects of typhoon Shanshan hitting the area? The inbound was delayed due to adverse weather which MH obviously was not able to control.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
Originally Posted by jgchiker
My MH Tokyo flight last year was "retimmed" to a day later. No compensation at all, as told notice given 72 hours before. Last week from Hong Kong, 2pm flight changed to 8am Cathay Dragon flight, only notified by SMS/Email at midnight ... thankfully still awake at the time as thought I could have a lie in the next morning which was not to be.

Another terrible thing about MH is the cabin cleanliness. I don't think I've been in a clean MH Y or J seat for years !
Old Aug 12, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: Cathay Diamond and Singapore Gold
Originally Posted by wantan
My MH Tokyo flight last year was "retimmed" to a day later. No compensation at all, as told notice given 72 hours before. Last week from Hong Kong, 2pm flight changed to 8am Cathay Dragon flight, only notified by SMS/Email at midnight ... thankfully still awake at the time as thought I could have a lie in the next morning which was not to be.

Another terrible thing about MH is the cabin cleanliness. I don't think I've been in a clean MH Y or J seat for years !
you are lucky, they emailed me at 0745L for a 1255L that they transferred me to a 1155L OAL. Luckily i was up early..

transferring to an earlier flight at short notice is just very irresponsible of this airline
Old Aug 12, 2018, 9:01 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Wow I must be really fortunate that my MH BKK-KUL flights were not affected over the last 2 weeks? Would have been fun missing connections in BKK
Old Aug 13, 2018, 3:34 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
We were supposed to take MH88 KUL-NRT in J on EY codeshare on Aug 10th. Flight was canceled and we were put on MH88D the day after at 10:00 which later was postponed to 12:00 and changed from A380 to A330. Although on a codeshare flight, MH handled everything (reschedule, hotel and transfer). They didn’t however transfer our FFP number to the new flight and didn’t assign new seats together. We had specifically to request those.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:10 am

Malindo seems to be the same - was due to fly with them last weekend - they cancelled both their morning flights from Kota Bharu to KL flights so I ended up booking Firefly and just keeping them as a cheapo backup in case I had any any delays reaching the airport. I noticed the flight ended up running 2hrs late and Subang all their flights were running well behind schedule or cancelled

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.