Wiki Posts
Search

Current Sale on BKK-KUL-LHR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: QRPC-Silver & Star-Alliance
Current Sale on BKK-KUL-LHR

So I received an email this morning from MH, telling me that I could get BKK-KUL-LHR Economy-return for B20,200, with booking until 16th July & flights until August 31st.

But when I followed the link, and put in several sample-dates, it appears that this fare isn't actually available ... it's more like B25k-B30k.

Has the Sale not been loaded yet, was the fare ever actually available at all, is this normal with this airline ... I used Malaysian on this trip a couple-of-years ago and wouldn't mind doing it again (at the right price!), even though they stiffed me on my (fellow OneWorld airline) Qatar ff Q-miles/Qpoints. The A380 back-then between KUL & LHR was very pleasant !

Last edited by Richard Bell; Jul 5, 2018 at 9:14 am
Old Jul 5, 2018, 10:14 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

I feel that that's always been the case for many airlines, where the actual prices are higher than advertised. For advertising ethics, there probably is such a fare, but for limited and specific dates.

Does it say from B20,200 though?

Also, they still fly the occasional A380 to LHR during peak season.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Yes, it really did ... from the email I receeived today ...
" All-inclusive return fares from BangkokFares in THBEconomyBusinessTOKYO
39,605SYDNEY
58,820LONDON
77,300All-inclusive return fares from PhuketFares in THBEconomyBusinessLONDON
89,370"

I hoped that the good-old-days of BKK-LHR for B18k or B19k might be returning, but it seems not ... good if the A380s are still sometimes used.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
I had an email offering me great fares from London to BKK but had already booked my trips with them at what I consider to have been at great prices a couple of months ago. They seem to be suffering perhaps reputationally as had a lot of promotional offers from them recently.

I used a travel agent to help me with finding the best flights/ prices as I was actually booking London-Phnom Phen and Kota Bharu back to London (no middle bit)
Old Jul 6, 2018, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Richard Bell
Yes, it really did ... from the email I receeived today ...
" All-inclusive return fares from BangkokFares in THBEconomyBusinessTOKYO
39,605SYDNEY
58,820LONDON
77,300All-inclusive return fares from PhuketFares in THBEconomyBusinessLONDON
89,370"

I hoped that the good-old-days of BKK-LHR for B18k or B19k might be returning, but it seems not ... good if the A380s are still sometimes used.
I checked the links, and it specifically says FROM THB 20,200, meaning that they are free to charge more than 20,200, but I do assume that there are limited dates at which the price is THB20,200.

Very common practice from many airlines, unless it doesn't say 'FROM $_____', I'll take these sort of statements very lightly.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 7:25 am

Look at various dates in Oct, Nov, and mid-Jan: round trip fares (Q-fares) at around ~THB21.2k (e.g. 14-24 Nov).

Huh, just saw the OP’s dates for the promo, that price doesn’t seem to be available during that period now ... but it’s the peak / summer season, so difficult to get? Perhaps the limited availablility which had been remaining and unsold until the promo were immediately snapped up?

Last edited by crackjack; Jul 6, 2018 at 7:38 am
Old Jul 6, 2018, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clubeurope
I checked the links, and it specifically says FROM THB 20,200, meaning that they are free to charge more than 20,200, but I do assume that there are limited dates at which the price is THB20,200.

Very common practice from many airlines, unless it doesn't say 'FROM $_____', I'll take these sort of statements very lightly.
The email (as per my quote above) says "From Bangkok 20,200", not "Bangkok from 20,200", however.

I do understand what your saying, and was surprised myself to see such a reasonable fare for high-season, however I'd question the value of a promotional-email which raises expectations only to dash them immediately, when one follows the link provided. Pointless is perhaps the kindest thing one might say about it ?

Especially as the true fares appear to be substantially-higher, for all the date-range given, even early-July or late-August.

Perhaps it was just a marketing/IT-glitch, or a non-native speaker, who simply put the 'from' in the wrong place, on the email ?

Last edited by Richard Bell; Jul 6, 2018 at 7:59 am
Old Jul 6, 2018, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Richard Bell
The email (as per my quote above) says "From Bangkok 20,200", not "Bangkok from 20,200", however.

I do understand what your saying, and was surprised myself to see such a reasonable fare for high-season, however I'd question the value of a promotional-email which raises expectations only to dash them immediately, when one follows the link provided. Pointless is perhaps the kindest thing one might say about it ?

Especially as the true fares appear to be substantially-higher, for all the date-range given, even early-July or late-August.

Perhaps it was just a marketing/IT-glitch, or a non-native speaker, who simply put the 'from' in the wrong place, on the email ?
Most probably a mistake by marketing that went past editing. These higher fares you see are likely to be high season dates which are often excluded from said promotions. These date blackouts are usually mentioned in fine print in the T&Cs.

As for the emails, they are very common marketing schemes. To them, what's important is that they get your interest, even if the price isn't exactly the same. Many people, sooner or later, will choose to book a/the flight(s) anyway in fears that the fares will go up.
Richard Bell likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: NH Platinum (*G)
For what it's worth, a random search found two set of dates with 20.2k

Old Jul 6, 2018, 8:30 pm

Good catch. Looks like 25-30 July now shows up with the promotional THB20.2k price right now. (O fares, so likely no crediting of miles anywhere except to Enrich @ 25% standard rate.)

However , again, given this is peak period, only one or two more dates even near that pricing left.
Richard Bell likes this.

Last edited by crackjack; Jul 6, 2018 at 8:37 pm
Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Yes, 25th July seems to be the only cheap BKK-KUL-LHR showing now (at B7,750), with 5th or 28th August returning for B12,975, for a total B20,725 if that helps anyone.

Only 1-2 seats available, so grab it fast ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.