Wiki Posts
Search

Oversize / Bicycle

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2018, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM
Oversize / Bicycle

Looked on the MH website and bicycles are allowed but max baggage size is 62" - my box is 88" and there is no reference to oversize fees / process. Anyone have any experience of oversize with them?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 6:33 am

Checked in a bike on a couple of dozen occasions with MAS. Only time I had any fuss was in Kuantan with a rather grumpy old man at the priority check in desk (I think he thought a sweaty cyclist didn't belong in his counter!), but even he eventually let me through. Usually they're pretty good about it.

The low point has been 2 times when I had minor damage to the bike. Both times I filed in a report of the damages, and both times I heard absolutely nothing back (not even a "we're sorry to hear about your problem, your claim is not valid because we don't cover bikes" or something to that effect). Both times the cost of repairs was so small I didn't bother chasing up, but a response would have been nice. Tbh it's what I've learned to expect from MAS: ok-to-good when things go well, useless when they don't!

S
Old Jan 15, 2018, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sm1234
Checked in a bike on a couple of dozen occasions with MAS. Only time I had any fuss was in Kuantan with a rather grumpy old man at the priority check in desk (I think he thought a sweaty cyclist didn't belong in his counter!), but even he eventually let me through. Usually they're pretty good about it.

The low point has been 2 times when I had minor damage to the bike. Both times I filed in a report of the damages, and both times I heard absolutely nothing back (not even a "we're sorry to hear about your problem, your claim is not valid because we don't cover bikes" or something to that effect). Both times the cost of repairs was so small I didn't bother chasing up, but a response would have been nice. Tbh it's what I've learned to expect from MAS: ok-to-good when things go well, useless when they don't!

S
I assume that you are not using a box? I've contacted MH and had answers saying OK for bike / not OK, needs to go as cargo. For oversize fees, I was told that only the local checkin counter can advise...so I would need to go to the airport first and also risk not being able to fly with my bike!?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:18 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by clazza
I assume that you are not using a box? I've contacted MH and had answers saying OK for bike / not OK, needs to go as cargo. For oversize fees, I was told that only the local checkin counter can advise...so I would need to go to the airport first and also risk not being able to fly with my bike!?
Try asking on Twitter or FB, as they're usually a lot better than their useless English-language call centre in Fiji.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:01 am

Cardboard bike box, though I sometimes just flew it "naked" - ie cover in plastic wrap (the theory is that if it's visible and obviously a bike, baggage handlers are less likely to put stuff on top of it/throw it around). Last time I flew MAS with a bike was probably 9 months ago, but I did so regularly for 3 or 4 years up to then. No guarantee that they haven't suddenly changed, but I had 3-4 years of regular flying with my bike without once being turned away.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:08 am

You might have to sign a damage waiver. The majority of times I've flown with other airlines I've had to, but less so with MAS, both times it was damaged I hadn't signed one, but it made no difference in the end! Don't take a bike you're going to be particularly precious about getting scratched or damaged, unless you want to invest thousands in a really serious hardcase too.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sm1234
You might have to sign a damage waiver. The majority of times I've flown with other airlines I've had to, but less so with MAS, both times it was damaged I hadn't signed one, but it made no difference in the end! Don't take a bike you're going to be particularly precious about getting scratched or damaged, unless you want to invest thousands in a really serious hardcase too.
I use a Trico ironcase which I bought many years...very hefty and big and provides great protection.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SilverChris
Try asking on Twitter or FB, as they're usually a lot better than their useless English-language call centre in Fiji.
Asked on FB and after three weeks of them "researching" and going round in circles / repeating myself, they have said that a bike box over 80" will not be accepted. The correspondence with them has been painful to say the least
Old Feb 16, 2018, 2:20 am

I feel your pain..... I was tempted by the prices on VN for Biz class Australia-Europe to go to some target shooting competitions...... I have BTW travelled widely on numerous airlines with checked firearms before....

After many calls I was finally referred to a freight company in Sydney who basically said "Don't even try. They are a PITA to deal with on ANYthing...let alone guns" The frustration in his voice spoke volumes...lol
Old Mar 20, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
Looked on the MH website and bicycles are allowed but max baggage size is 62" - my box is 88" and there is no reference to oversize fees / process. Anyone have any experience of oversize with them?
Hi clazza,

Sorry if I'm late to the party, but I was researching the very same question - my wife and I are flying to LHR-AKL via KUL in July/August and would like to transport two fairly large mountain bikes in hard cases. I found an article on the mhcare FAQ that I can't post the URL of (because I've just joined) but it can be found by searching for the title "Can-I-bring-a-Bike-Bicycles-non-motorised"; it says:
Answer
Yes, you may bring your bike(s) / bicycle (s) (touring or racing - non-motorised) that follows a combination of the following:-
  • With handlebars fixed sideways and pedals removed
  • One (1) bike / bicycle is accepted in place of one (1) 62 inches (158 cm) bag
  • Suitably packed in a bike / bicycle box (to protect both the bike / bicycle and the baggage of other passengers
Please note that your bike(s) / bicycle(s) will be carried as part of the free checked baggage allowance and will be subject to excess baggage charges, if in excess. They will be accepted for check-in only upon completion of the LRT*

Note: A complete LRT, must have the passenger's signature at the designated column.
Hopefully that means we're good, but i'm still going to try to get an official recognition of the fact. Arriving at the airport and being told 'no way' would be a massive disaster...

Adam.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adamthekiwi
Hi clazza,

Sorry if I'm late to the party, but I was researching the very same question - my wife and I are flying to LHR-AKL via KUL in July/August and would like to transport two fairly large mountain bikes in hard cases. I found an article on the mhcare FAQ that I can't post the URL of (because I've just joined) but it can be found by searching for the title "Can-I-bring-a-Bike-Bicycles-non-motorised"; it says:

Hopefully that means we're good, but i'm still going to try to get an official recognition of the fact. Arriving at the airport and being told 'no way' would be a massive disaster...

Adam.
Via FB "Non-motorized touring or racing bicycles with single seats for carriage are accepted as checked baggage with certain limitations. Regret to inform that a bicycle presented in a box with overall dimensions exceeding 62 inches will not be accepted" They told me that anything over 80" has to go via their cargo division. Having said that they are a pretty disorganised bunch so you may get lucky! (another message said that checkin staff can advise on oversized rates...nothing online though)
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:17 pm

Hi clazza,

Was that a direct response to you from them on Facebook? If so, that's pretty vexing - you'd have thought that the least the organisation could do is put out consistent information.

Sending the bikes freight will likely cost as much as our tickets, so I'm pretty sure we can't afford that. I can break them down enough to pack them in bags that fit the size restrictions, though, in the worst case. I think that might be the best thing to do because we're stopping for just over a week in KUL - so even if we check them in successfully in London, we might struggle on the second leg...

Adam.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adamthekiwi
Hi clazza,

Was that a direct response to you from them on Facebook? If so, that's pretty vexing - you'd have thought that the least the organisation could do is put out consistent information.

Sending the bikes freight will likely cost as much as our tickets, so I'm pretty sure we can't afford that. I can break them down enough to pack them in bags that fit the size restrictions, though, in the worst case. I think that might be the best thing to do because we're stopping for just over a week in KUL - so even if we check them in successfully in London, we might struggle on the second leg...

Adam.
Hi Adam

Yes, direct conversation with them on FB...very inconsistent. I'm going to KL with my bike on Cathay Dragon next week...I'll try to swing by MH checkin counters to see what they say

Last edited by clazza; Mar 28, 2018 at 8:55 pm Reason: more detail
Old Apr 2, 2018, 6:38 am

Hi Adam

Yes, direct conversation with them on FB...very inconsistent. I'm going to KL with my bike on Cathay Dragon next week...I'll try to swing by MH checkin counters to see what they say
Inconsistency seems to be their strong suit! I was told, unequivocally, on the phone (called their number at LHR) that they would allow bike boxes on board within the luggage weight - one oversized box per person. I've emailed to see if I can get a written confirmation - no response yet, but it has only been 5 days, so I'll chase after a week.

I might try a Twitter question...

Adam.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:03 am

I've got a twitter conversation going with @mas. It has provided the opposite of clarification.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.