Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH Logos and Colorways for A380 vs the rest of the fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2017, 7:25 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.

Out of curiosity, what was the reason for the different colorway for the A380's vs the rest of the fleet as far as corporate colors are/were concerned?

It's something nobody at MH seems to want to talk about whenever I ask them about it.

Is it some big secret??
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:04 pm

It's not a "big secret" when MH themselves produced a video showing the painting of the new livery on their first A380: link
Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:25 pm

Not really a secret

There was this share swap restructuring exercise involving Airasia. Part of this exercise was to "split" MH into long haul and short haul divisions. Long haul fleet (772s, 333s) was to be in blue just like that A380 livery. Short haul (738s) will be dressed in a red version of the A380 livery (just replace the blue or shades of blue with red). The painting of the A380 came during the time this exercise was already announced but was being finalised/ executed. But the restructuring was eventually cancelled due to various protests that it will result in some quasi monopoly controlled by Airasia folks, etc etc...

So in the end, the revised story for public consumption was that MH simply wanted a unique livery for its A380s...
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Zawnet
So in the end, the revised story for public consumption was that MH simply wanted a unique livery for its A380s...
And boy, is it ever ugly... Not to mention that the colours are not only NOT pleasing to the eye, it is not auspicious too !
Old Apr 4, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, VS Gold, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
And boy, is it ever ugly... Not to mention that the colours are not only NOT pleasing to the eye, it is not auspicious too !
Auspicious? You are forgetting the fact that Malaysia is a multiracial country that doesn't all entirely equate red to all things auspicious.

I don't like the blue as well - there was a period of time the MH website with that ugly all blue thingum - glad they got rid of it. Perhaps the all blue livery could be adopted by the Hajj and Umrah branch, after since the A380s are in that shade anyway?
Old Apr 4, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by MeltingAlf
Auspicious? You are forgetting the fact that Malaysia is a multiracial country that doesn't all entirely equate red to all things auspicious.
I don't think Guy Betsy was referring to red. I think just the color in general. It's a very somber looking livery.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by nov11
I don't think Guy Betsy was referring to red. I think just the color in general. It's a very somber looking livery.
Ya. My point exactly ! ^

I wonder why MH doesn't adopt the colours of the Malaysian flag for example... It would be nice to see some yellow into it.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:39 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, VS Gold, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by nov11
It didn't have the red of the other planes, and it had the same cerulean blue as the sky, so... :P I thought it wasn't that sombre although it did look pretty bland - a bit like applying a Eurowhite concept to blue.

We do all agree that the livery was pretty meh, though.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 9:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Thank you all for sharing. Often wondered why there were two different corporate colors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.