Wiki Posts
Search

MH checkin times at HKG

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2017, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold), SQ PPS
MH checkin times at HKG

In the past, when MH was operating 737's to HKG, checkin for departures from HKG did not open until 2 hours before departure - probably due to the relatively small seat count on these aircraft. Now that KUL-HKG services have been upgraded to A330's, does anyone know if checkin at HKG is opening earlier? The MH website does not appear to have much useful info on the subject.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 3:43 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Perhaps it remains due to the cost implications.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 3:58 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
If you are in the city check in at the airport express at any time.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:02 pm

I quite sure the counter will be opened 2-2.5 hours before departure. I remember last time I take the MH flight at HKG, there were so many people waiting infont of economic class. Please take you time and do not check in too late.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
MH used to operate one of its flight with a 777 (less than 2 years ago) and check-in opened about 2.5 hours before.
But frankly, why would you check in so early on a regional flight? Actually, getting to the airport just an hour early will insure shorter lines. or you can check at an airpor express station where MH shares desk with other airlines and can therefore accept your bag early.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 11:57 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Earlier check in is a good option especially for OWE, F lounges at HKG worth spending 2+ hours and check in only 2 hours before flight will leave only around 1 hour at lounge, just enough time to have a meal at the Pier F.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ausriver
Earlier check in is a good option especially for OWE, F lounges at HKG worth spending 2+ hours and check in only 2 hours before flight will leave only around 1 hour at lounge, just enough time to have a meal at the Pier F.
My motives exactly! With only ~90 mins between checkin and boarding, getting to the F lounges (specially the Pier) was a real hassle.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by whughes3
My motives exactly! With only ~90 mins between checkin and boarding, getting to the F lounges (specially the Pier) was a real hassle.
Whatever you do don't leave it too late. MH uses the 200 series midfield concourse gates (even with the 333) - and that's either a full train ride from the wing, or doubling back from the pier to near the bridge and catching the train from there. Either lounge you visit...... it's a bit of a hassle
Old Mar 11, 2017, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TGflyergirl
Whatever you do don't leave it too late. MH uses the 200 series midfield concourse gates (even with the 333) - and that's either a full train ride from the wing, or doubling back from the pier to near the bridge and catching the train from there. Either lounge you visit...... it's a bit of a hassle
I am aware of this, which is another reason I was hoping for an earlier start to checkin!
Old Mar 13, 2017, 6:51 am

Looks like using in-town check in is the only way to maximise lounge enjoyment.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Well, having just done it, I can happily report that checkin for the A330 HKG-KUL flight (MH073) does indeed open 3 hours prior to flight time, ie. 1145. Much nicer!
Old Apr 5, 2017, 3:56 am

Well, having just done it, I can happily report that checkin for the A330 HKG-KUL flight (MH073) does indeed open 3 hours prior to flight time, ie. 1145. Much nicer!
This is good news plenty of time to enjoy the lounges in HKG!
And how's the flight with the new J?
Old Apr 5, 2017, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SLGO
And how's the flight with the new J?
Much more pleasant! F & B offerings particularly seem to be improved, and of course the extra room is very welcome.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 5:52 am

Much more pleasant! F & B offerings particularly seem to be improved, and of course the extra room is very welcome.
It sounds right! How about the IFE? Same as or better than those 738s?

Can't wait to experience it myself, though still no traveling plan with them yet...
Old Apr 6, 2017, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Yes, the IFE on the 333's is very much better than on the 738's, which was pretty minimal IIRC...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.