Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Malaysia Airlines - return vs one way tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2017, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone, I am hoping to get some thoughts about the best way to book a Malaysia Airline trip and how it could affect baggage being checked through.

So I want to go from Perth to Bangalore and I'm looking at Malaysia Airlines... however, the Perth to KL leg has much better flight times (ie. it's not a red eye) on AirAsia. So I want to go Perth to KL on the AirAsia flight, but everything else on Malaysia Airlines.

So I'm thinking 3 groupings of flights:

- Perth to Bangalore on AirAsia (stopover for a few days)
- KL to Bangalore on Malaysia Airlines (stay in Bangalore)
- Bangalore to KL on Malaysia Airlines directly followed by KL to Perth on Malaysia Airlines

Generally speaking - what is the most cost effective way to book that?

Would it be to book KL -> Bangalore / Bangalore -> KL as a return flight and then have the KL -> Perth flight as a one way ticket?

Or book 3 one way tickets on Malaysia Airlines?

Or perhaps another permutation I haven't thought of?

Also, when dealing with a series of one way tickets could I run into drama with baggage not being checked through? (if I have read this correctly it seems this shouldn't be an issue). Because returning from Bangalore I'd want it checked through to Perth, I don't want to have to deal with re-checking it in KL... so if one way tickets could cause an issue there I would like to avoid that.

I greatly appreciate any thoughts!

Last edited by ViaJoburg1; Jan 8, 2017 at 8:20 pm
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by ViaJoburg1
So I'm thinking 3 groupings of flights:

- Perth to Bangalore on AirAsia (stopover for a few days)
- KL to Bangalore on Malaysia Airlines (stay in Bangalore)
- Bangalore to KL on Malaysia Airlines directly followed by KL to Perth on Malaysia Airlines
I assume you mean PER to KUL on D7 (Air Asia X). Possible permutations for your KUL-BLR-KUL-PER:
a) KUL-BLR-KUL + KUL-PER
b) KUL-BLR + BLR-KUL-PER
c) KUL-BKR + BLR-KUL + KUL-PER (probably the most expensive)
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. If I did your option a) of KUL-BLR-KUL + KUL-PER - what would the likely situation be at the airport in Bangalore for the "return" journey to Kuala Lumpur?

Because I would have the second leg to Perth as a separate one way booking... would I still be able, when I check in my bags, to have them tagged straight through to Perth from Bangalore?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:57 am

Programs: MH-Plat OWE, HH-Diamond, SPG-Plat, MR-Plat, IHG-PlatAmb
Originally Posted by ViaJoburg1
Thanks for your reply. If I did your option a) of KUL-BLR-KUL + KUL-PER - what would the likely situation be at the airport in Bangalore for the "return" journey to Kuala Lumpur?

Because I would have the second leg to Perth as a separate one way booking... would I still be able, when I check in my bags, to have them tagged straight through to Perth from Bangalore?
Yes, you will be able to check your bags straight through to Perth given that they're both MH bookings.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by nov11
I assume you mean PER to KUL on D7 (Air Asia X). Possible permutations for your KUL-BLR-KUL-PER:
a) KUL-BLR-KUL + KUL-PER
b) KUL-BLR + BLR-KUL-PER
c) KUL-BKR + BLR-KUL + KUL-PER (probably the most expensive)
Supposing OP book a) KUL-BLR-KUL + KUL-PER and there's a major delay on the BLR-PER sector, will MH automatically put OP on the next available flight to PER?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by tingtongbells
Supposing OP book a) KUL-BLR-KUL + KUL-PER and there's a major delay on the BLR-PER sector, will MH automatically put OP on the next available flight to PER?
Don't you mean BLR-KUL?

Yes. Should be able to .. However, as this is with 2 tickets.. MH can officially refuse as their contract of carriage on the BLR-KUL ticket is to just to get you to KUL , and the KUL-PER ticket.. well, you 'no showed'.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:13 pm

Wouldn't you be protected all the way to PER upon checkin at BLR and have your luggage tagged all the way to PER - despite them on separate tickets but same MH carrier?
Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Wouldn't you be protected all the way to PER upon checkin at BLR and have your luggage tagged all the way to PER - despite them on separate tickets but same MH carrier?
The word here is 'can' ... as OP booked on two separate tickets. But generally with same carrier airlines in Asia, they are more generous in assisting you if one of their flights is delayed and causing you to misconnect.

BA for example would let you freeze in the cold instead of helping you if you bought two tickets... in fact, they won't even check your bags through.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
The word here is 'can' ... as OP booked on two separate tickets. But generally with same carrier airlines in Asia, they are more generous in assisting you if one of their flights is delayed and causing you to misconnect.

BA for example would let you freeze in the cold instead of helping you if you bought two tickets... in fact, they won't even check your bags through.
I've travelled on separate tickets on the same airline before many times - incidentally MH and BA per your given examples - and always the airline has checked my luggage to the final destination.

The only one instance was if I was on a HBO only fare on BA in late 2016 and they asked me to buy luggage space. Fair enough, and once I did, BA checked my bag all the way through. All they needed was to sight the second reservation.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:35 am

Programs: AA exp, Marriott Amb
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
I've travelled on separate tickets on the same airline before many times - incidentally MH and BA per your given examples - and always the airline has checked my luggage to the final destination.

The only one instance was if I was on a HBO only fare on BA in late 2016 and they asked me to buy luggage space. Fair enough, and once I did, BA checked my bag all the way through. All they needed was to sight the second reservation.
AA no longer checks luggage through on back-to-back tickets. MH does. What happens if your first flight is delayed depends on how friendly the agent is when you arrive at the airport having missed your next flight.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Just for the record, I ended up going with:

AirAsia X - Perth to KL (one way)
Malaysia Airlines - KL to BLR / BLR to KL (return)
Malaysia Airlines - KL to Perth (one way)

And it worked perfectly. Bags were checked through from Bangalore to Perth even though I had separate bookings.

Just by luck (I didn't book any seats in advance), I was fortunate enough to have a row to myself on the AirAsia X flight, a spare seat next to me on the BLR to KL flight, and a virtually empty flight between KL and Perth where anyone who wanted to lie down on a few seats was able to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.