Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Malaysia Airlines - Dreadful Customer Service & Lost Luggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Plat, OWE (BA), *A Gold (TK), EY Gold*

Has anyone any experience of getting a resolution with MH following lost luggage?

I flew DXB-SIN (obv connecting via KUL) on 27 Feb and my luggage (along with approx 35-40 other pax on the same flight) did not get loaded for the flight to SIN. This was despite us leaving 20mins late as we 'were loading baggage'.

I was travelling in J and and am OWE - my luggage was priority tagged and of the 3 pieces checked, only one showed up in SIN. This meant I had to postpone client meetings for 24 hours due to the late delivery of my checked bags which obviously has caused aggravation and expense.

I don't understand how MH could deliver 1 of 3 checked bags? Further, the ground agent in SIN called MH in KUL (upon my insistence) to try to get an idea of where my bags were and when they would be delivered. The firm response I got was that MH "had no idea where my bags were or if they were on the flight or not".

I suggested that this represented a breach of IATA and ICAO codes on security and baggage handling and asked how the airline could ensure my safety on board when they couldn't reconcile passenger baggage to those passengers travelling. He shrugged his shoulders. I asked him whether he thought that that was alarming given recent current history and again he shrugged his shoulders.

I have emailed MH with a detailed mail and to date received no response other than a standard automated response. I will issue a claim against them, but I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this <redacted> and what their experience was in achieving a resolution?

As a final note, the ground agent in Singapore confirmed that MH has repeated issues with baggage handling out of KUL and that regularly flights arrive into SIN with no bags as they are playing catch up delivering bags from previous flights which have been sent without the correct luggage. He suggested this was common, and that our flight had arrived mainly carrying luggage from earlier flights.

An alarming and extraordinarily disappointing experience. Anyone any ideas how I can provoke MH into actually providing a satisfactory resolution and response without the need for formal proceedings (which is no skin off my nose but something I would rather avoid)?

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 7, 2015 at 4:54 pm Reason: Rules do not permit offensive language
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:00 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Same situation when I flew PVG-KUL-SIN, my luggage (and those of other passengers on the same flight) didn't arrive in SIN.

Reported to the Lost & Found at the baggage claim area and went home. It was delivered the next day afternoon.

Now I'm waiting on my baggage delay insurance claim, still pending from my travel insurance company.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:12 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Damn, I guess I'm really not flying MH now...
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:24 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by SimpleDXB
I suggested that this represented a breach of IATA and ICAO codes on security and baggage handling and asked how the airline could ensure my safety on board when they couldn't reconcile passenger baggage to those passengers travelling.
This happens all the time, everywhere. I've had 4 occasions in the US (out of perhaps 20 sets of connecting flights) where my luggage has travelled on different aircraft to me . I've had it twice on SQ where my luggage didn't make interline connections from QF and LO. The overriding factor is that is entirely the direction/fault of the airline not a something influenced by the customer.

Also, did you ask "is the bag in KL" or "Where is the bag"? A "yes" answer to the first question doesn't necessarily preclude a "don't know" answer to the second question.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Plat, OWE (BA), *A Gold (TK), EY Gold*
Originally Posted by lokijuh
This happens all the time, everywhere. I've had 4 occasions in the US (out of perhaps 20 sets of connecting flights) where my luggage has travelled on different aircraft to me . I've had it twice on SQ where my luggage didn't make interline connections from QF and LO. The overriding factor is that is entirely the direction/fault of the airline not a something influenced by the customer.

Also, did you ask "is the bag in KL" or "Where is the bag"? A "yes" answer to the first question doesn't necessarily preclude a "don't know" answer to the second question.
I did ask whether my bag was in KUL. I was met with a blank face. So I asked "Is it that you don't know that my bag is in KUL or you simply don't know where my bag is?" The response I got was "they have no idea where your bags are". I then asked "surely you know whether or not my bags were delivered to KUL and just didn't make the SIN connection?" and the response I got was "they have no idea - I asked them."
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:41 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by SimpleDXB
I did ask whether my bag was in KUL. I was met with a blank face. So I asked "Is it that you don't know that my bag is in KUL or you simply don't know where my bag is?" The response I got was "they have no idea where your bags are". I then asked "surely you know whether or not my bags were delivered to KUL and just didn't make the SIN connection?" and the response I got was "they have no idea - I asked them."
Sounds like this is code for "I asked them and they couldn't be bothered (or were too busy ) to find out"
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:11 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Malaysian Airlines - Dreadful Customer Service & Lost Luggage

Do you serious expect the sin ground handler to have the answers there for you?
This must be the first time you have had bags misplaced/lost.
Step 1) get your vouchers for delayed baggage
Step 2) purchase what you need and keep receipts
Step 3) call the airline a few hours later if they have not reached out to you.
You won't get answers right when you land.
These things happen everyday with every airline.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: AZ FA+, BA & UA Gold
Originally Posted by alphaod
Damn, I guess I'm really not flying MH now...
CX does this to me more than half the time I fly KUL-PVG. I've started to wisen up and book longer connections... Plus sometimes airports tout a MCT that they can't really promise; I think some OTAs offer bookings that MH personally is less than confident to offer.

@SimpleDXB Try their Twitter/Facebook channel. It doesn't seem like they monitor email unless prodded by their social media teams.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:27 pm

I agree with gilbertaue, stuff like this happens.

We just need to be prepared and know what to do when it does. I've been flying MH for the past year or so and this is my first time visiting the Lost & Found office at SIN T2. First time visiting a new area in Changi Airport.

I don't get to visit the transit area when I was doing security patrols at Changi Airport last year. I guess they don't want us to go trigger happy with our rifles in the transit area...
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:41 pm
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by lcpteck
First time visiting a new area in Changi Airport.

I don't get to visit the transit area when I was doing security patrols at Changi Airport last year. I guess they don't want us to go trigger happy with our rifles in the transit area...
LOL... Considering when we are not flying or doing patrols we still spend some afternoons at Changi... = must be very special when we can explore new areas in the airport. How? Did you feel like VIP
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
I had MH lose my bags on a flight to SIN about a year ago. As others have mentioned, the lost baggage office is staffed by an outsource company, not an MH employee.

After getting frustrated, I went upstairs to the ticketing counter and asked to speak to a MH supervisor. He was a very nice gentlemen and was able to solve the difficulties that I was having.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:13 pm
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Penguinmoon
I had MH lose my bags on a flight to SIN about a year ago. As others have mentioned, the lost baggage office is staffed by an outsource company, not an MH employee.

After getting frustrated, I went upstairs to the ticketing counter and asked to speak to a MH supervisor. He was a very nice gentlemen and was able to solve the difficulties that I was having.
^
Another point to also note is that one has to take into consideration the duration of the flight vs time for information to come through. With such a short flight, you cant expect the Singapore guys to know what is going on. Its probably too short a time for even the guys at KLIA to realise something is amiss (I presume).

I've had lost luggage on a SIN-FRA flight on SQ once and when I arrived (after a 12hr flight) they had the info - but they also had 12 hours to prepare for it.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by gilbertaue
LOL... Considering when we are not flying or doing patrols we still spend some afternoons at Changi... = must be very special when we can explore new areas in the airport. How? Did you feel like VIP
Only after doing my part in the fight against terrorism by patrolling Changi Airport, there are lots of places I didn't know existed. I was pretty excited to patrol the terminals though of course I have to be on the ready/lookout for suspicious activities. Not much sense of security if you see a soldier smiling like a kid in a candy store while patrolling right? I had to put on my war face.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by gilbertaue
Do you serious expect the sin ground handler to have the answers there for you?
This must be the first time you have had bags misplaced/lost.
Step 1) get your vouchers for delayed baggage
Step 2) purchase what you need and keep receipts
Step 3) call the airline a few hours later if they have not reached out to you.
You won't get answers right when you land.
These things happen everyday with every airline.
^ Could not agree more.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by lcpteck
Same situation when I flew PVG-KUL-SIN, my luggage (and those of other passengers on the same flight) didn't arrive in SIN.

Reported to the Lost & Found at the baggage claim area and went home. It was delivered the next day afternoon.

Now I'm waiting on my baggage delay insurance claim, still pending from my travel insurance company.
Well what do you know, my insurance claim came through this morning. Approved. ^ Now waiting for the cheque!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.