Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Malaysia Airlines Is Burning $2 Million Every Day as Flights Go Empty

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Malaysia Airlines Is Burning $2 Million Every Day as Flights Go Empty

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2015, 7:13 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by wolf72
Very rare. But are we talking domestic or international/regional flights? 737 vs 777/A380/330 flights?
Mainly talking about the 6 777/330 flights (MEL x 4 + DAC x 2). Probably half of the flights crew were outstanding, on the other half the crew disappeared completely between meals and were just going through the motions during the meals. Best crew probably was the 1 of these 6 that was in economy, a lady with a very effusive personality.

The 737 flights were as good as can be expected for 35 minute flights.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 7:17 pm

Programs: QF, VN, SQ, SPG, IHG PG
I have flown on a few MEL-KUL v.v sectors and a few intra asia flights with MH and have always encountered friendly and courteous crew. They were genuinely friendly and really helpful to pax, although I do sometimes spot the odd grumpy one, but they never serve me - so lucky me! There was even this one male FA trying to pick up one of the pax!

In contrast I find TG crew to be a hit and miss, like their aircraft swaps! I've had the FA in the latest Safety Video on TG462 serve my cabin last year and she was one of the nicest TG FA's I have ever encountered. TBH on a majority of my CX flights, I have not encountered any friendly FA's, besides the inflight manager on 1 odd flight, however they were not rude, they just didn't make that extra effort with passengers.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by soorox
In contrast I find TG crew to be a hit and miss, like their aircraft swaps! I've had the FA in the latest Safety Video on TG462 serve my cabin last year and she was one of the nicest TG FA's I have ever encountered. TBH on a majority of my CX flights, I have not encountered any friendly FA's, besides the inflight manager on 1 odd flight, however they were not rude, they just didn't make that extra effort with passengers.
That's so cool! Nice to see that (some of) the people in these videos are real flight attendants not just paid actors.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 1:41 am

Programs: SQ AA TK
Originally Posted by wolf72
Very rare. But are we talking domestic or international/regional flights? 737 vs 777/A380/330 flights?
I'm with lokijuh on this one. Definitely not very rare, and not even rare at all.

I did approx 80 sectors, almost a 50-50 mix of 737 and wide body fleet.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:46 am

Programs: Gold: VS, SQ, AF/KL
Originally Posted by wandering_fred
Related question: Dose MH award availability (to partners) show up anywhere online?
I check BA's site to look for MH award availability (to partners.)
Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
But they won't credit to any of the partner airlines (of interest to me).

Turns out that for the most part UL code shares using the same MH planes will be a better deal. Even if you need to purchase a positioning flight into CMB. Example BKK-CMB-KUL-PER
MH's partner crediting rules are indeed very puzzling.

On AA's frequent flyer program, the way to qualify for oneworld emerald as a premium-cabin purchaser is to reach 100,000 "elite qualifying points".

On business class fares you earn 1.50 points per mile flown on American Airlines, Air Berlin, Alaska, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, LAN Airlines, Qantas Airways, Qatar Airways, Royal Jordanian Airlines, S7 Airlines, SriLankan Airlines, TAM and US Airways.

But on Malaysia Airlines you only earn 1.25 points. They are the only outlier.

Needless to say, I avoid MH for all my business class long-haul flying, given that BA, CX, AY, JL, QF, QR and UL all serve SIN and allow me to requalify with 13,333 less flown miles.

Which isn't exactly helping MH close their $2m per day profit hole.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Just booked a great fare SIN-KUL-TPE return .. just for earning BA Tier Points! Crediting this to BA instead of AA even if I can get bonus points.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:40 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Just booked a great fare SIN-KUL-TPE return .. just for earning BA Tier Points! Crediting this to BA instead of AA even if I can get bonus points.
Yeah the current promo price (dependent on dates) is about S$800-900 for J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.