Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Malaysia Airlines plans restructuring including name change

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Malaysia Airlines plans restructuring including name change

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by elleana
This, applied to the entire country. Although to be fair the bumiputra mentality didn't cause the two incidents/accidents.
But its the bumipitra mentality that got the airline bleeding money through bad management and cronyism. Similar to Thai, I guess.

If only MH could attract some talent from SQ to run it, it would turn around in a sec.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Enrich, Marco Polo, Accor, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
But its the bumipitra mentality that got the airline bleeding money through bad management and cronyism. Similar to Thai, I guess.

If only MH could attract some talent from SQ to run it, it would turn around in a sec.

As elleana said, this mentality is prevalent throughout the country, not only MH. The sense of entitlement. The Malaysian government through its sovereign fund injected MYR5 billion (~$1.6 bil) into MH so far, and with little improvement to show for it, how many more billions is needed to shore up its balance sheets? Might as well go bankrupt like Swiss Air did years ago and do some house cleaning.

Last edited by RJ77; Jul 31, 2014 at 12:00 am
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:55 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)

How about merging into one of the middle eastern carriers?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by daniellam
How about merging into one of the middle eastern carriers?
Don't think the Malaysians will allow that to happen.

I reckon they still want a national carrier in some form, and I don't think they would "adopt" Air Asia as the national carrier should MAS really fold.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 11:48 pm

Programs: SQ KF Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat
Don't see it happening, Malaysian government will never allow it.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 11:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver

Just call it Bumiputera Airlines than
Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Le Club Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold, M&C Gold, SPG Gold
Iberia was in a similar situation a few years ago and that is beginning to turn around now, but it required investment from IAG. I could see an outside investor like Eithad or another carrier with cash getting involved.

I don't see the government allowing a fold of the airline as they are too important in general for the Malaysian economy. This was my take on the news about the rebranding.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 9:04 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 1 Million Miler, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by HMPS
KL Air ? Malay Air ?
I vote no for Malay Air.

In Tagalog (Filipino), Malay can refer to the Malay people, but also means "ok, whatever" or an expression to show extreme apathy or indifference in Tagalog.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 9:53 pm

What the airline needs is new fresh management (prefer from another airline) and they have to lose the bumiputra mentality if they want to survive.
They can't as long as the government is the major stakeholder.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.