Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MH is not child friendly

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2013, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

MH is not child friendly

I recently flew MH in Y MEL-KUL return with my 3 year old daughter. On both the legs she was not offered any food or drinks. Yes she was sleeping during their meal service but was the crew didn't even bother asking us if we could have something for her later and even when she was awake, they didn't bother offering even some milk or biscuits. This is a 8 hour flight we are talking about.
I find this ridiculous from a mainstay airline (not a low cost) which is also part of a major alliance. I think on any medium haul flights, offering some light snacks and drinks for children at least is mandatory.
Of course we had brought our own snacks and drinks for her and we didn't bother calling the crew but thats besides the point.
I have flown with her on SQ before on similarly timed flights where she was not only offered a child meal but also toys to keep her entertained.
I have had good experiences with MH in J but its not enough to only keep the J passengers happy. I think its basic courtesy to at least offer some drinks and light snacks for children on any flight over 4 hrs.
I will never again fly with my child on MH.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MH is not child friendly

You could have asked....
Old Oct 29, 2013, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
How rude of the Flight attendant to not read your mind, watch to see when your child is awake and pay attention to the other 250 economy passengers.

Would it be so hard to ask an FA, "My child so nicely slept through the meal service would it be possible to get something to eat?"

Also most parents I know of kids under say 8 years old bring snacks and other food goods with them as children can be picky about meals and travel can exacerbate this.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 7:39 pm

Programs: Too many
MH is not child friendly

Perhaps they could see you had everything sorted? They can't read your mind. They are there to assist and surely would have if you asked. Or did you expect part baby sitting service too?
Honestly why complain about something so trivial? Your child. Your responsibility, which you obviously had under control and were well prepared anyway.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
If you think "child friendly" means anticipating children's desires, in coach, when they have parents who are more than capable of using adult words (including please and thank you), I do not think any airline will meet your definition.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 7:57 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
MH is not child friendly

I don't understand. You let the crew pass your child and you by, twice, without either time just requesting a meal or a snack or whatever? You could have either requested it to be brought later, or waited until she was awake and requested it then.

Or are you concerned about the principle of the thing?
Old Oct 29, 2013, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by hrs027
I will never again fly with my child on MH.
Then what a bad parent you are by not putting some food aside for your child when your meal was served in the first place ! Could you not have asked the cabin crew to prepare some of the food so that she can eat when she's awake? Or were you yourself too busy to have bothered? On a 7 hour flight, could you not have gotten off your seat and gone to the galley (if you didn't want to ring the call button) to ask if you can get some milk or whatever children eat these days, for your hungry child?
Old Oct 29, 2013, 10:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Elite Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, BA
MH is not child friendly

Next time fly first class. This is THE website full of advice on how to get there!
Old Oct 29, 2013, 11:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
The FA should clearly have woken the child up for meal service. How inconsiderate.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 1:03 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
hahaha, i like that they are not child friendly... how they don't seat screaming babies upstairs in Y on A380... i wish more airlines would have baby free zones...
Old Oct 30, 2013, 1:15 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I don't see what they did wrong. I often sleep through meal service, and they never ask me if I still want my meal, but I can always ring them up to ask.

If you want more active service, I would advise booking up.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:22 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Or asked for what you felt should be happening.

Originally Posted by alphaod
I don't see what they did wrong. I often sleep through meal service, and they never ask me if I still want my meal, but I can always ring them up to ask.

If you want more active service, I would advise booking up.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 8:49 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
This is not really a OW topic so I'm moving it to the "Other Asian..." airline board.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator
Old Oct 30, 2013, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all your criticisms. I bet none of you respondents have young children.
We did mention to the crew during the meal service that we will have some biscuits and milk for our daughter later. They didn't have a child meal which we had prebooked during reservation. And when we asked for our meal which we didn't have during the meal service as our daughter was sleeping on our lap, they said they didn't have a meal but gave us some nuts instead.
Of course we were well prepared as normal parents would be and had brought our own.
My point is children can easily get dehydrated on long flights due to multiple reasons- compressed pressure in the cabin, dry air from airconditioned environment, inadequate hydration. That is precisely why they cry on flights. Being a Doctor, I am well aware of this.
All I am saying is cabin crew should have some awareness about children on board and should offer at least fluids to prevent dehydration.
I never experienced this on SQ or for a matter of fact Air Asia once when the crew were very sweet when they even offered an extra meal at no cost.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 8:55 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
MH is not child friendly

I have a 5yo. And up until the age of 3 we flew long haul with MH.
That the meal option didn't get loaded was a mistake and you should take it up with the airline.
Since we normally travel as a couple, we take turns eating during meal service. I also made it a point to tell the crew my meal preference and ask them to set it aside.
I found MH staff particularly towards young children very attentive and typical malay natured..
You may have had the odd flight where the crew wasnt too proactive.. But I would not generalise..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.