Search

Best Hotel in Shanghai?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2010, 6:44 am
formerly vienna-resident
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Best Hotel in Shanghai?

We are currently planning a visit to Shanghai in June, with 2 days at the Expo and 2-3 days shopping and sightseeing. In general, we are looking for excellent service, good food, good location and up-to-date rooms and facilities.

Looking at existing threads in this forum, it seems that the Park Hyatt and the Peninsula are the two most talked-about properties in Shanghai - so the idea would be to do 2 nights at the Park Hyatt followed by 3 nights at the Pen, which seems to be in a better location for shopping/sightseeing.

The other "usual supects" like St. Regis, Shangri-La, Ritz-Carlton and Four Seasons do seem a bit old-school in terms of hardware. There are a number of other good looking places - the PuLi, JIA, Langham Jangtze - any input on these or are they clearly below the 'luxury' level?
Old May 16, 2010, 9:26 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
My vote goes to the Peninsula. My stay recently in March is absolutely flawless. Great rooms, excellent service, F&B etc and walking distance to the Bund Area. You can read more about it in my TA review.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...-Shanghai.html

The Park Hyatt, on the other hand has the best view, of course due to it's status as the tallest hotel in Shanghai. But the view is dependent on the weather most of the time and most of the time nothing to see because of fog. Nothing interesting in the surrounding area ( just office building ). The room is quirky though nicely designed but worse of all, service is awful with pretentious and incompetent staff. I've stayed twice and the second stay was much worse than the first. In my books, this is a 5-star hotel with 2 star service. All style and no substance.

There's also a new Ritz Carlton Pudong that should open in May and looks quite promising though I haven't try it yet. For value for money, Westin which is also at the Puxi Bund area is quite good though it's not exactly luxurious.

FS and St Regis are rather old properties and not as swanky as the newer ones.

Last edited by BENLEE; May 16, 2010 at 10:27 am
Old May 16, 2010, 9:26 am
Suspended

Programs: mosttraveledpeople.com
If you search for "other good looking places" you may want to consider the Longemont (formerly Regent). Everything fine there in terms of contemporary luxury, except the location.

I'd rate the SL and RC above FS. Haven't been to PH or PEN yet.
Old May 16, 2010, 10:04 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
The Four Seasons has boring and smallish rooms reminding of a Laura Ashley showcase. I'd still go for the Shangri-La because of the prime Pudong location and river/Bund views from higher floors.

Or then one of the grander rooms at the Hyland Sofitel (Puxi) with it's really enjoyable French touch on everything.

The problem with the Park Hyatt are all the tourists swarming restaurants and bars. Not easy to relax when someone is taking a picture with flash every few minutes.
Old May 16, 2010, 11:00 am
Community Director Emerita

My stay at the Park Hyatt in March was exceptional. I had a spacious, comfortable room with fresh, contemporary design, and good to great service. It is one of my most memorable hotel experiences.
Old May 17, 2010, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My vote goes to the Shangri-La- this is an excellent hotel if you want to be on the Pudong side.
Old May 17, 2010, 1:51 pm

I really cant make up my mind where to stay in Shanghai for my upcoming trip. I think I will go with the Park Hyatt based on the reports here (I know they are mixed). Its for 2 nights before we go to Amanfayun.
Old May 17, 2010, 7:15 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Just got back from FS Shanghai a few hours ago. I second the opinion that this FS is boring. This was my second stay and I won't return. I'll probably try the JW Marriott next time.

Dull, dull, dull. And breakfast (buffet only) is terrible.
Old May 17, 2010, 9:31 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, Fairmont FPC Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
A couple of weeks ago I stayed at the Peninsula and loved it. I was booked to stay at the Fairmont Peace Hotel but at the hotel had to cancel my reservation due to not being ready for guests. Anyway, I was very impressed with the Pen.
Old May 18, 2010, 12:50 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did not have the experiences reported by the critics at the Park Hyatt on my last few stays. Indeed, I view the hotel as the "most improved hotel" when compared to its opening months and now fully qualified to bear the Park Hyatt brand.

Tourists don't jam the hotel, they go up to the observation levels which have an entirely separate entrance and line. I didn't have the flash camera problem at the high up restaurant, but I've only tried it once so maybe it occurs sometimes. The hotel is not brand new so I think much of the tourist novelty has died down.
Old May 18, 2010, 3:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
My wife and I just returned this morning from spending four nights at the New World Mayfair in Shanghai.

We found the service level excellent, the breakfast buffet bountiful and, most important, the room and bed outstanding.

It has a pleasant piano bar in the lobby and the usual amenities. This is the Lufthansa crew hotel.

Take note: it is five-star, but in one of the business districts. If you want walking distance to the People's Square, this is not the venue for you. Otherwise, I think a worthwhile consideration.
Old May 19, 2010, 3:28 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by Cascadia
I was booked to stay at the Fairmont Peace Hotel but at the hotel had to cancel my reservation due to not being ready for guests. Anyway, I was very impressed with the Pen.
This hotel should be very interesting once it opens properly. I have a Japanese friend who is dying to try it, having read the history of the place.
Old May 19, 2010, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, DL, Hyatt-Plat, HHonors Gold, SPG
I go to Shanghai about twice a year. And I have stayed at the Shangri-La and the St. Regis. While the SL is very nice and in a great location for views, it's restaurants and bars are very crowded and premium priced far above anything else in Shanghai. The Regis on the other hand is in a quiet spot in Pudong. Its about a 5 minute walk to the Metro, and then seconds to anywhere you want to go in the city. The SR has very nice rooms, all with marble baths. The food is excellent, and it has awesome views from the club lounge on the 39th floor. I've stayed there about 5 times now.

My next trip I plan on staying at the new Intercontinental. I believe it just recently opened. It's in Pudong very close to a lot of great shopping, and just steps away from the Century Ave Metro stop/hub.
Old May 19, 2010, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mosburger
This hotel should be very interesting once it opens properly. I have a Japanese friend who is dying to try it, having read the history of the place.
speaking of history
Originally Posted by Amanjunkie
Gaddi's has been around for at least 50 years, but I believe some of the silverware and possibly china are even older than that, having been in possession of The Peninsula pre-war. If you speak to the maitre d', I'm sure he will tell you stories of how Peninsula staff risked their lives hiding the silverware in the walls during the Japanese occupation, when they used the Peninsula as headquarters. This is the silverware they still use today at Gaddi's.
Old May 25, 2010, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP 75K, HI DIA
One of the concerns I have about the Peninsula is the distance (or so it appears) to the nearest Metro station. How long is the walk? The FS seems like it would be more accessible, but it just doesn't seem up to snuff. Thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.