Wiki Posts
Search

The Peninsula in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2007, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ual,amex,HH,marriott,aa
The Peninsula in Hong Kong

I'll be in Hong Kong late Sept. and am thinking of staying at the Peninsula - in the Tower. Any information, experiences, or advice would be appreciated.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 10:26 pm

Programs: Marriott PP+A / LTPP
Originally Posted by hayley
I'll be in Hong Kong late Sept. and am thinking of staying at the Peninsula - in the Tower. Any information, experiences, or advice would be appreciated.
This is my favorite hotel anywhere. The service is spectacular. The tower is definitely newer than the first six floors but I have enjoyed rooms wherever I have been placed. What type of room are you booking?

Chesa, the Swiss restaurant, and the buffet on the mezzanine are very good. I have not tried the other options except for the Lobby, of course.

If you have an American Express Centurion card, booking a superior room gets an upgrade (if available) at time of BOOKING into a Superior Suite (1300+sf)!!!
Old Aug 29, 2007, 11:06 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
If you don't have a Centurion card, Virtuoso amenities (available to anyone) are:
  • upgrade on arrival to next room category, subject to availability
  • Daily buffet breakfast for two
  • One set dinner for two in The Lobby once during stay
  • Late check-out until 4 p.m., subject to availability
Old Aug 30, 2007, 1:21 am

My favorite restaurant in the Peninsula Hong Kong is, of course, Gaddi's. A beautiful French restaurant, the food is excellent and the service is always impeccable. For first-timers, I would recommend sitting in the beautiful dining room, though if you have been there before, there is also a chef's table for two in the kitchen that is a fairly unique experience. While you won't be in the luxurious setting of the dining room, you will be get to see the chefs at work, and they offer you a tour of the entire kitchen, not only for Gaddi's, but the other restaurants as well.

There is also a lot of history with Gaddi's, as there is, of course, with the hotel. I believe the silverware dates back to pre-war times, though all the silver including the candlesticks look very new, no doubt because of the daily polishing. I believe Gaddi's was also used as some sort of meeting room when the Japanese took over the hotel as their headquarters during the occupation. I know this from the waiters, many of them having worked in the hotel for most of their adult lives, and they have always been very, very friendly and knowledgeable.

Though there have been quite a few very good French restaurants that have opened in Hong Kong, Gaddi's has always remained our favorite.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by jfar28139
This is my favorite hotel anywhere. The service is spectacular. The tower is definitely newer than the first six floors but I have enjoyed rooms wherever I have been placed. What type of room are you booking?

Chesa, the Swiss restaurant, and the buffet on the mezzanine are very good. I have not tried the other options except for the Lobby, of course.

If you have an American Express Centurion card, booking a superior room gets an upgrade (if available) at time of BOOKING into a Superior Suite (1300+sf)!!!
What? Since when?

I've had the black card since it first came out and I didn't know about this offer.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 11:09 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by jfar28139
Is this a year round offer?

I know a number of UK Travel Agents (Kuoni for example) are able to offer Superiour Suite upgrades from Std Room bookings at the HK PEN for stays of a minimum of 3 nights during low season.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 11:15 am

Programs: Flying Blue
I like the old building myself, although the views aren't as spectacular. I always have the same harbour view room on the 6th floor and never miss the spa and coktails & dinner at Felix. The food is as spectacular as the view. The journey in the lift to the top of the tower as well as the men's room are worth the trip.

It is definetly my favourit hotel in the world, I can't realy manage to put a finger on it, I have staid in many wonderfull places but there is something very special about the Pen HK.

Have a great stay
Old Apr 18, 2008, 7:00 am

Programs: some
Which room?

I'm going to be taking advantage of the Suite Life promotion at the Pen this summer.

I'm hesitating between a superior harbour view suite or a deluxe harbour view suite.

The main difference appears to be that the latter is a bit larger (which I don't care for too much) and has 270 degree windows with harbour views, from the bedroom.

The price difference is about HK$2000 per night, which is quite a lot to me.

Any suggestions?
Old Apr 18, 2008, 9:22 am

deleted

Last edited by senyorito_nes; Oct 22, 2008 at 9:30 am
Old Apr 18, 2008, 6:56 pm

Programs: some
Hey, I din't know about the spa treatment in the private suite - good tip!
Old Apr 18, 2008, 7:01 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
If you can afford to, treat yourself to the China Clipper service. It really is a treat.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 7:10 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Interesting how tastes differ. I am not a fan of Gaddis but love Spring Moon. I also love the original building, although the views are pretty much gone.
The service at the PEN is unparalleled.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 7:11 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
I don't know, I do *love* the PEN, but the location of the MO is so much more convenient and the Cantonese restaurant there (or is it at the FS, I can't remember now) is my favorite in HK.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 12:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
The Pen is an institution. The Spa is SPECTACULAR, restaurants and lounge areas wonderful, and rooms just perfect. I ve stayed in the tower and the original building I prefer the tower. My favorite room is the corner room with bathtub nestled in front of a double window. In BKK I prefer the Oriental however in HKG its the Pen and no other. I always use AMEX Platinum and the service, amenities, and upgrades always come through.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 9:29 am

Programs: UA
I've stayed in the tower and the older wings. The former is definitely 'nicer' in the sense that it is more recent. That being said, the wings have a certain charm that I prefer.

Overall, the place is an institution. You really cannot go wrong. The Peninsula has a timeless, classic charm to it that I have not found in other high-end business hotels.

One splurge that I enjoyed: get the Peninsula to pick you up in their Rolls Royce. It is expensive, but it was quite the experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.