Search

Bangkok best hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2010, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
but there is something about this hotel that makes it really special.
Well if you have been staying at the Oriental for 30 years you must, no choice about it, admit there is something very special about that hotel too. Whether the Pen is slightly nicer in one category or another is immaterial to me. I prefer to be on the other side of the river, and I appreciate all the history and amazing service over the years at the Oriental.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 5:14 pm

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by wolf539
I know this isn't the place for it, but I would be interested in hearing about the problems you had. Would you be willing to post your experiences in the Thailand forum?

Oh, it was nothing terrible, we just had a taxi take us to the wrong hotel to meet friends. We missed them and ended up spending half the day in taxis in awful traffic (ie. we were practically stationary for 15 minutes, then move forward 10 metres, then stationary for another 15 minutes), etc.

I also wanted to get some suits made up. So a separate trip in to Narin Courture, then they said they were closing for the next four days so no dice despite having email exchanges prior to leaving Australia. A few more hours wasted, etc.

Not all our trips out were as frustrating and we had a really fun night out in Bangkok on New Years Eve. But the Pen had so much to offer that you wanted to make the most of hotel while you were there.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Londonjetsetter
This is a very interesting discussion. Everyone tends to rave about the Pen in these forums and, it may be sacrilege to say it, but the photos on its website and on Tripadvisor have never appealed to me at all. The decor looks dated (green carpets??) and the pool area looks fine, but not amazing. I agree that the location of the Sukhothai is less good, but I had great service there and from an aesthetic point of view I found it much more appealing. Maybe it's just a personal thing??
Funny enough, I thought exactly the same thing. But in reality the Pen was much nicer than it was pictured on the website. I wouldn't say the fittings were of the highest quality (for example on the way back to Aust we had a night at the Mandarin in Hong Kong where the texture and fittings were of the highest quality, much better than the Pen BKK), but it was very comfortable luxury. Also, the Pen has an urban resort feel owing to its location on the river which seems to permit a slightly more casual feel.

I also thought the same about the photos on the website of the Mandarin Oriental Bangkok. Some of the rooms looked postively plain in fact. It would be interesting to see whether they looked better in reality, like at the Pen.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 5:27 pm

I feel very at home at the Four Seasons BK and yes, service is extremely good, but I only stay there when I want to be relatively close to the airport. Otherwise, I prefer The Pen. I know the style of decor is a bit tired these days, but there is something about this hotel that makes it really special. I have stayed at The Pen since it first opened and have seen it improve considerably, especially after they added the Thai restaurant and the alfresco buffet. I have also stayed at MO for around 30 years and have seen this hotel go up and down in the service stakes. Sometimes I love it, other times I hate it. I do like to be by the River though - that is my real priority - so it will be interesting to see what happens when someone we can take seriously opens on the riverfront.
In one of our taxi misadventures we drove past the Four Seasons and it looked really dated. In fact unappealingly dated. I also found the area that the Four Seasons is located to be quite unappealing. The location on the river is what makes the Pen and I suspect the MO. Even if in BKK for work I would still go for a riverside location.

Interesting point re distance to the airport. Still I found that the transfers from the airport to the hotel to be only 40-45 minutes, which is pretty reasonable for any big city. I am not sure how much closer the Four Seasons would be to transfer directly to.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 3:21 pm

.... I do like to be by the River though - that is my real priority - so it will be interesting to see what happens when someone we can take seriously opens on the riverfront.
Do you have any news on 'someone we can take seriously' opening on the river in Bangkok Vuittons ?
Old Jan 10, 2010, 7:38 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
I'd like to add my two cents to this discussion, as I am just finishing up a stay at the Peninsula, following a stay at the FS Hong Kong. I may post about that in another thread, but it is relevant here because of the inevitable comparisons between the two properties.

First of all, as someone said earlier, the Pen really is an urban resort. The setting on the river, the lush greenery surrounding the property, and the large swimming pool remind me a little bit of Hawaii. I did not mind taking the boats across the river, and I agree that the frenetic pace on the other side is left behind here. So A++ for the location on a leisure trip.

I got an unbelievable deal through the suite life promotion, a grande deluxe suite on the 35th floor for about 11000 bhat. The rate didn't include any extras (and I'm not a member of the clubs or programs often mentioned here), but it is still an incredible deal. I like the color scheme in the hotel and the room, even it is bit dark; the suite is quite spacious with four floor to ceiling windows to boot. The shower is one of the best I have ever experienced, and the tub was fine. I did notice that the toilet took forever to flush and the shower had a slight mildew smell to it (as did the halls - to be expected I guess in a hot and humid climate with relentless sun on the 35th floor). The bed was a disappointment after the FS HKG - OMG the sheets at that property were smooth as silk and the mattress was like sleeping on a cloud. The Pen mattress was a bit hard, and the sheets were nothing special. There was a lovely basket of fruit, some chocolates, and chocolate chip cookies waiting for me on arrival; a room attendant soon came by with a carafe of fresh OJ. Very nice indeed. The breakfast buffet was fresh and delicious. A lunch sandwich was unremarkable. I didn't use the spa, but there is no wow factor compared to the FS HKG, which was magnificent in every way.

The one area where I felt some disappointment was in the service provided by the staff. I don't know if standards are different in Thailand, but some things struck me as odd. The wait staff in the River Cafe and Terrace were particularly clueless, unattentive, and/or condescending. Empty plates from the buffet were left on the table until I asked someone to remove them; I was forced to sign the bill the moment I sat down; and two coffee orders were wrong. A lunch server could not understand my order straight from the menu and he had to ask someone else to confirm what I wanted. The front desk staff was efficient, but the woman who checked me in seemed to be going through the motions - the orientation was perfunctory rather than heartfelt. My room attendant spoke and understood very little English, so there were a couple of mixups (harmless) as a result. I didn't find the concierge particularly friendly, but he was able to find a close by pharmacy that opened just for me early on a Sunday morning.

I took a walk around Bangkok (not easy) to look at the competition - the Sukhothai, the MO, the FS, the Sheraton GS and Le Meridien (the latter two not on the same level but I was quite impressed with the Meridien lunch quality and affordability). I didn't see the rooms, obviously, but I much prefer the vibe at the Peninsula. Everything else being equal, the location trumps it for me. As a pedestrian unfriendly city, all but the MO were on streets where it was sometimes impossible to cross without darting between cars.

While I never wavered in my decision to stay at the FS in Hong Kong, I went back and forth about Bangkok for months, considering all of the above properties. Had the suite deal not come through just before I left, I may very well have ended up somewhere else. I'm glad this was the choice I made.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 9:21 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by QF Lad
I was staying at the BKK Peninsula so the same period. In fact, I left on 3 January, so our dates almost dovetailed precisely Instyleprincess.

Like Instyleprincess I was staying there on the recommendation on many posters on this board, and I am pleased to report that we had a happier experience.

- Check in was v. smooth. We used the hotel's Mercedes E class car, they did help with the luggage at the hotel (), and in-room check in was very slick;

- We had a Balcony room which was one category above the Grand Deluxe Room. We were very happy with the room. It was well appointed, and quite large with a walk-in closet area leading into a double bathroom. The balcony was great was well, particularly with the pleasant weather;

- We enjoyed the bars (the River Bar is suberbly situated) and the restaurants;

- Loved the swimming pool. I agree that it was tricky at times to find spare sundecks particularly in the northern end of the pool which receives the sun in the afternoons. I found the service fine, although I tended to approach the bar whenever I wanted something;

- The Spa is excellent. My girlfriend loved it, particularly the spa having its own "house". I also received excellent reports about the beauty salon. I enjoyed the gym. I loved the way they brought a wet towel over to you when you had finished on the treadmill - that will spoil me for gyms forever;

- The hotel was full, but I thought service was pretty good. Instylepricess's comment that management were light on the ground is fair, but then I just put this down to their being really busy. The service wasn't outstanding (no where near as good as the Mandarin Oriental Tokyo, which is the best I have experienced so far), but it was very good. And because we were there for a week some of the staff came to know us so in some respects the service was personal.

So I was very happy there, I would happily return, and am grateful for the recommendations on this board. In fact the Peninsula seemed to me to be the best thing about Bangkok, as every thing we did outside the hotel seemed fraught with frustration and disaster....
I also was here on the same dates checking out the night on the 4th.

We used the Rolls Royce airport transfer. The Rolls is still in great condition, but is a bit dated and less spacious compared to the Rolls Royce at the Pen in Shanghai.

We ordered room service from the car, but our rooms were not ready when we arrived at the hotel. The hotel served our food in the lobby and comped our lunch as a result. We checked in from our table in the lobby.

We booked an adjoining Grand Deluxe room and Grand Deluxe Suite. The rooms could be locked off from one outside door which was nice.

The swimming pool was busy, but we always managed to find some chairs together. We were brought towels and ice water, but not chilled towels. Once we received tiny ice cream cones. They should do that more often!

We booked a car/driver and guide for the day through the hotel and ended up going to the jewelry shop at the end. I didn't specifically say no to this, but was paying by the hour, and probably would not have chosen this as one of the sights.

We went on the Pen boat cruise, A journey to the Temple of Dawn, I had pre-booked this but somehow our reservation was lost. We got on anyway.

The staff did an excellent job of keeping the drinks filled on the tour, but I was expecting to learn a little bit more about the sights, plus I thought the staff might point out other sights along the way.

We ate our breakfasts in Mei Jiang, the service and food was very good!

Our girls did the Jr. Chef cooking class and loved it! We had cookies, chocolate covered strawberries, and brownies for the rest of our trip.

My wife was a little bit ill one day and the concierge arranged for the hotel nurse to get her some medicine. The on duty manager called to ask if she was OK, and if there was anything that they could do.

We prefer the beds at the Pen in Shanghai, more comfortable and it could just be because it is new but the sheets seemed to be higher quality. Also, instead of the fruit bowl, cookies and OJ that was given to us in Bangkok, in Shanghai we were given: A fruit bowl, smoothies, carafes of OJ and grapefruit juice, chamomile tea, A tray of Danish and croissants, a huge chocolate / candy plate, a plate of decorated muffins, and coffee. Room service was just completing set up when we arrived.

The only downfall of such a spread was that we did not bother going down to the restaurant for the American breakfast that was included in our rate.

Also, they have a gorgeous indoor pool at the Pen in Shanghai, and they bring you the water plus wet towels.

The service was good at the Pen in Bangkok, but it was much better at the Pen in Shanghai. This surprised me because from the reviews I was not expecting this to be so! Perhaps without knowing it I am on some kind of VIP list in Shanghai, the service certainly made me feel that way. I booked directly with the hotel managers at both properties. I guess occupancy could also have played a factor as the Pen in BKK was considerably busier. Most of the time we had the pool to ourselves in Shanghai.

Check out on the 4th was no problem, but we had paid half a nights stay for a 9 pm check out time. I do not think there was anyone else checking in or out at this time.

Last edited by Maxfinder; Jan 10, 2010 at 9:39 pm
Old Jan 10, 2010, 11:22 pm

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
Originally Posted by Maxfinder
We booked a car/driver and guide for the day through the hotel and ended up going to the jewelry shop at the end. I didn't specifically say no to this, but was paying by the hour, and probably would not have chosen this as one of the sights.
Guess I'm not alone on this one!!!
Old Jan 10, 2010, 11:37 pm

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by instyleprincess
Guess I'm not alone on this one!!!
We've done must be 15+ day trips around Thailand over the years and I don't think I've ever been on any guide led day trip in Thailand (including one organised by the Pen) that at some stage didn't include a visit to a Gem factory, umbrella making co-operative or teak carving enterprise.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
We've done must be 15+ day trips around Thailand over the years and I don't think I've ever been on any guide led day trip in Thailand (including one organised by the Pen) that at some stage didn't include a visit to a Gem factory, umbrella making co-operative or teak carving enterprise.
Very true - even Amans tend to steer you towards various retail opportunities. As long as they are well-chosen, authentic retail opportunities, then I do not mind too much. It is when it is someone's brother-in-law who runs a carpet warehouse that it becomes tiring.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 6:05 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
Originally Posted by QF Lad
Oh, it was nothing terrible, we just had a taxi take us to the wrong hotel to meet friends. We missed them and ended up spending half the day in taxis in awful traffic (ie. we were practically stationary for 15 minutes, then move forward 10 metres, then stationary for another 15 minutes), etc.
Brutal... If I have to travel any kind of distance in BKK I always try to take the skytrain and get as close to my destination as possible, then either walk or hop in a taxi if necessary. Depending on the time of day and where I'm going I've also used the Pen's limo service which is quite reasonable.

Not all our trips out were as frustrating and we had a really fun night out in Bangkok on New Years Eve.
Where did you spend New Years Eve?
Old Jan 12, 2010, 9:52 am

I and my wife stayed in Bangkok in December for two nights, and we too debated for months between the Oriental and the Penninsuala. I ended up getting a Grand Deluxe Suite at the Penninsula for a great deal (AmEx Platinum - 3 nights for the price of 2), so that made up our mind.

After visiting each of them on our visit, both my wife and I completely agreed we had stayed at the one better suited for us, namely the Penninsula.

This was surprising for me to admit, as I am a traditional, "love the historic hotels" kind of a guy (you know, HAVE to stay at Raffles in Singapore, etc), but almost everything about the Penninsula seemed to fit. It felt more spacious, more private, and as if we could walk around in modern beauty without feeling cramped. We visited the Oriental by going across the river two nights, and both nights we felt like we were "intruding" walking around the lobbies and bars. Every night some high class function was going on, and everyone looked at us like we were trying to crash their private party, even though we never strayed from the public areas. We went into the bar for a martini, and the live music was playing so loud that after trying to scream our drink orders to the waitress several times, we just gave up and went outside. Sitting out by the river is nice, and I would recommend that for a drink.

The Oriental is a great hotel, and I can't see a reason to post anything NEGATIVE about it. And I'll admit the entire stay was so wonderful for us at the Penninsula that maybe I'm a bit taken with it. From our Rolls Royce pickup at the airport, we were taken directly to our suite for an "in-room" check-in. The next day we booked a room at the spa which was the best spa experience of my life, the Thai restaurant there is top notch and authentic, and the breakfast by the river was amazing. I don't understand the poster who complained about them having you "pay" just as you sit down - all that was ever asked of us was our room number as we were seated, and then we were never bothered again about anything non-service related. All the service staff was amazingly helpful and kind. I found throughout ALL of Thailand there were times, even here, that you had to repeat yourself a couple of times or be more clear, but I take that as the language barrier, and I certainly don't expect every country that I visit to be fluent in MY language. The fact they could speak English so well was unexpected, in my opinion. I mean, the staff was so friendly that when we would walk into the evening bar for our final "nightcap", the young male and female bartender would light up as they recognized us and fall over each other trying to make us happy. But again, I and my wife might be "cut from a different tree", so to speak. We love to travel because we are guests and the outsiders, looking to immerse ourselves into someone else's world, and we find most service staff and locals recognize that demanor in us very quickly, and are happy to share their world with us because we are not expecting them to "be what we find back home". I mean, I'm one of those really weird Americans that finds France one of the most friendly, kind and warm countries to visit, all because I learn a phrase or two in French before I go that lets them know "I don't speak French, I'd appreciate your patience". You should see service staff fawn all over you with prosciutto, cheese and wine without you even ordering it just because you were polite to them. -- Sorry to digress, I guess you know what my "soap box" issue is now.

Hope this helps someone else who is "floundering" betwen the two, as we did before visiting Bangkok.

Last edited by MartiniMan; Jan 12, 2010 at 10:03 am
Old Jan 12, 2010, 2:31 pm

Very true - even Amans tend to steer you towards various retail opportunities. As long as they are well-chosen, authentic retail opportunities, then I do not mind too much. It is when it is someone's brother-in-law who runs a carpet warehouse that it becomes tiring.
My guide at the Oriental didn't bring us to any retail shops. Excellent guide too -- best I had in Thailand. But pretty much every other guide did bring us to shops of some sort.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 2:47 pm

Programs: WS Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, AC 100K, INtercontinetal Ambassador, Avis Prefered Plus
Originally Posted by instyleprincess
I just came back home from Peninsula Bangkok last night, spent new year there with some friends, overall I was not impressed.

There already are several reports on Peninsula BKK so I'll skip the details.

- We arrived Pen from Pullman hotel, and we actually took taxi to the central pier and got the hotel by boat with our luggage. Though we did not enter the hotel from the lobby, staffs at the dock did not offer to help with our luggage, and no one offered to help with our luggage along the way to the lobby.

- We checked in around noon but the room was not ready yet so we went to lunch and came back around 3pm, a guy at front desk took us to our room but didn't really show us around the hotel and didn't really explain anything. (Is hotel-introduction generally by request only?)

- I got a grand deluxe room, but it appeared much smaller than the pictures on the website, I should've gotten a suite. My room is located on the left corner side of the building, and the river view is wonderful

- The note from GM to the guest is typed, not written, and it didn't even have my name on it! (simply dear guest....). I remembered I got a hand-written welcome note with my name at Peninsula Hong Kong.

- Very hard to get a sunbed by the pool in the morning, but I suppose the hotel is nearly fully booked at this time. I did not get any pool service unfortunately. I saw them serving other people though, they helped other guests getting a sunbed and get them drinks. I always had to get my own sunbed and ask them to come over to get me a drink.

- Spa is great!

- There was a line at checkout, waited around 10 minutes

- I asked the concierge to arrange a private tour, and went on a 3 hour tour with a local guide and mercedes van. Tour was great until the guide took me to a jewelry shop, an obvious tourist trap when specifically told her I'm not interested in going

- I was not greeted by any management staff during my stay

- Overall, this is a beautiful hotel, but the service is not up to my expectation, maybe because they're super busy during the new year? Staffs were friendly and helpful, but sometimes you need to ask for the service to get it, not a good sign. No one ever tried to help me get off the boat!
innstyleprincess - No matter where I stay it is always first impression's that can either get you started off on a good footing or not. I stay at lux properties so that this does not happen. There was no excuse for your arrival problem, if the Pen has two entrances then it should have staffed for it. What happened to you was not excusable from any lux hotel. Being New Years is not an excuse for the Pen rather it is a cop-out. Gosh if we can't even count on a lux hotel to help with our luggage at check in we are in trouble. IMHO an appointment with the GM would have been warranted for what happened. Just saying.......
Old Jan 13, 2010, 8:40 am

Drivers/guides in Thailand supplement their wages by getting stamps/tokens to be taken in cash or petrol vouchers for each tourist they take to gem factories etc - hence, why they are nearly always included. When we've had a particularly pleasant driver and we're not in a rush we will let them take us - problem is sometimes your have to watch a video presentation etc so iy can be a bit time consuming. I never buy anything of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.