Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mandarin Oriental Bangkok - Suite Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2009, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Mandarin Oriental Bangkok - Suite Recommendations

I am planning to stay at the MO BKK later this year, and am thinking of booking a deluxe suite there. I understand that these are all themed, and I am wondering which one to request. I have read descriptions of the different deluxe suites, but this has not done much to clarify.

I would greatly appreciate it if others on this board that have stayed in any of them would be able to share their experiences/recommendations. Many thanks in advance!
Old Aug 6, 2009, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I was in the Noel Coward suite last year. Beautiful !
Try to book one in the Author's wing! (I think there are 4 of them)

Let me know when you are there ?
Old Aug 6, 2009, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by eutow
I am planning to stay at the MO BKK later this year, and am thinking of booking a deluxe suite there. I understand that these are all themed, and I am wondering which one to request. I have read descriptions of the different deluxe suites, but this has not done much to clarify.

I would greatly appreciate it if others on this board that have stayed in any of them would be able to share their experiences/recommendations. Many thanks in advance!
I'm not a 'fan' of the Authors wing, I think it needs a good refurbishment.
I prefer the suites in the river wing. The deluxe suites vary in size from about 500 sq ft to about 1000sq ft, it depends on what you are looking for. Most (all?) have balconies with wonderful river views. Any I have stayed in over the last couple of years were quite newly refurbished and certainly spacious enough for my needs including the smaller suite.
There are some special suites on the top floor of the river wing if you are really going to splurge!
I have never stayed in the garden wing.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to you both for replying so quickly.

The deluxe suites are all supposed to be about 92 square metres in size and are in the River Wing. They are smaller than the Authors' Suites.

I am wondering particularly about the South East Asian Writers', Gore Vidal and Kukrit Pramoj Suites - from the very small photos I have been able to find, they look interesting.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
Don't wanna hijack this, but I stayed in a Duplex Suite at the Pen across the river...spectacular suite with amazing sweeping views of BKK and the river.

Don't know about the MO, but I know you can negotiate a up to 65% off rack rates at PEN by emailing the reservations manager.

Cheers
Old Aug 6, 2009, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trojanman
Don't wanna hijack this, but I stayed in a Duplex Suite at the Pen across the river...spectacular suite with amazing sweeping views of BKK and the river.

Don't know about the MO, but I know you can negotiate a up to 65% off rack rates at PEN by emailing the reservations manager.

Cheers
Thanks for the info. I have stayed at the Pen several times, but want to go back to the MO for this trip.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 8:32 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
I agree with the assessment of the MO's specialty suites in the original building. They have a very old-fashioned feel — dark rooms, dark drapes, dark furniture. They were not to my taste...
Old Aug 6, 2009, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DavidO
I agree with the assessment of the MO's specialty suites in the original building. They have a very old-fashioned feel — dark rooms, dark drapes, dark furniture. They were not to my taste...
Thanks for the feedback DavidO. By the speciality suites in the original building, do you mean the 4 Authors Suites in the Authors Wing? From the photos I have seen, they seem to be somewhat OTT.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 5:27 am

I also agree that the Authors wing is not great. The Deluxe and Executive suites in the River wing are much nicer and newly renovated.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 6:40 am

There are more than 4 suites in the Author's Wing, and I have stayed in three over the years, but I would not recommend any of them - furniture is dark and cheap and generally there is no light in these suites. They all need a major rethink.

The Garden Wing Suites are very cute but extremely small - bi-level with tiny bathrooms and a sort of sleeping platform - very popular with honeymooners.

The River Wing has the best suites. The 2-bedroom Oriental Suite is extremely spacious with amazing river views from balconies on 2 sides. Some of the smaller suites are a bit dingy and overly eccentric. Difficult to say which is best as they re-decorate every so often, so what I remember of some suites in this wing may not be true today. It really depends upon what style you prefer - very Thai, very Barbara Cartland? I would ask the hotel - tell them what you are looking for and get them to help - that's why they are here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.