Punta Mita, Mexico: Four Seasons or St. Regis

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Punta Mita, Mexico: Four Seasons or St. Regis

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:24 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Similar question for late January 2015, although not for Presidential Suite ;-)

I can find a third night free FHR rate at FS for a range of room types. But rates for the St Regis are 30% more for what appears to be equivalent rooms, I guess that is the result of the 3d night free at FS.

I found a SUNFREE rate that is 3rd night free at St Regis, but it is prepaid and is only a few $ cheaper for 3 nights than a publicly available unrestricted rate would be for 3 nights.

My corp rate is good, but requires a 7 night stay, which I cannot swing.

Originally Posted by chicagocat
We are heading to Punta Mita in early November with two other couples... We have previously stayed at Four Seasons 4BR villas but looking for beachfront... The presidential villa at St Regis looks great but the Four Seasons rates are tough to beat with third/fourth night free for separate rooms with Amex FHR amenities... Any deals on St Regis for the large beachfront villas? Dates are nov 5-9 for six adults. Thanks
Old Sep 16, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
I can't believe the St Regis is more! If so, that is a no brainer. The FS is far superior.
Old May 11, 2015, 8:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, United
Just bumping this up. We are headed to Punta Mita in September with our 2-year-old. Any new information as between the Four Seasons and St. Regis? Thanks.
Old May 12, 2015, 2:04 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Valveking
I can't believe the St Regis is more! If so, that is a no brainer. The FS is far superior.
Have you stayed at both? Unless you have, or have at least visited both...

We've stayed twice before at the FS (2009 and 2012) and will be staying at the StR this Thanksgiving.

We visited the StR in 2012 while staying at the FS, and my impression was (1) dining was much better and with more options at the StR, (2) the StR was newer and felt fresh, while the FS was dated, and (3) service at both was very good.

We'll see what we think of our stay at the StR--but my expectation is that it will be nicer.
Old May 12, 2015, 4:52 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

No discernible difference between the two and I'd stay at the St. Regis if given the choice, regardless of the rate/points, etc...

The reality is that if you're staying at either of the resorts you're a bonafide low-roller. Renting a house is a much more luxurious (and costly option) and likely not an option for most of us--and particularly my budget-- unfortunately! That's life, but we've had the privilege of slumming at the StR Punta Mita twice now.

Just make sure to hit the golf course and try a little surfing. Going to Punta Mita without doing those is silly. Might as well go to Omaha.
Old May 12, 2015, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Have you stayed at both? Unless you have, or have at least visited both...

We've stayed twice before at the FS (2009 and 2012) and will be staying at the StR this Thanksgiving.

We visited the StR in 2012 while staying at the FS, and my impression was (1) dining was much better and with more options at the StR, (2) the StR was newer and felt fresh, while the FS was dated, and (3) service at both was very good.

We'll see what we think of our stay at the StR--but my expectation is that it will be nicer.
I have a fractional villa at the Four Seasons so I have been there many, many times and have visited, but never stayed at the ST Regis. The location on the beach of the Four Seasons is vastly superior as is the service. I would say the food at the two is about equal, but the beachfront location of Bahia at the Four Seasons is much better than any restaurant at the St Regis.

I am happy to answer any questions that anybody may have.
Old May 13, 2015, 11:38 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by Valveking
I have been to both, and I agree. Have written other posts about it. Would not touch the StR based on what we saw and what we've heard from others who have been.

And, IME, I prefer FSR to StR for families. We're going back to FSPM in August (with kids).
Old Nov 17, 2015, 4:39 am

Any advice on which room type to book at the Four Seasons? Planning last minute trip for December. Beachfront rooms are $1570 a night, so I was thinking of just booking the oceanfront room. Seeing as the garden view suite is the next most expensive category, would it be worth it to take the FSPP upgrade if it's offered? The plunge pool looks nice, but it means giving up an amazing view.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 7:26 am

The oceanfront rooms sit on a cliff with a beautiful ocean view. You would definitely give up the view if you upgraded to a garden view suite I guess. It depends if you need the space. I might decline it. See if you can upgrade to an oceanfront room with a plunge pool. You might want to see if AMEX FHR still has the 4th night free offer.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:01 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Those plunge pools aren't worth it at Punta Mita unless you have the view. In fact, I think the only decent plunge pools are from the top suites and residence club. I'd personally go for Oceanfront over beach front too.... The rooms behind Bahia. Pref Partner is doing a 3rd night free Valveking right up to 22 Dec but the rates creep up starting the 18th for obvious reasons. A 6 night stay check out on the 19th maxes the value
Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:51 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by Five Star Traveller
Any advice on which room type to book at the Four Seasons? Planning last minute trip for December. Beachfront rooms are $1570 a night, so I was thinking of just booking the oceanfront room. Seeing as the garden view suite is the next most expensive category, would it be worth it to take the FSPP upgrade if it's offered? The plunge pool looks nice, but it means giving up an amazing view.
The suites are large (in addition to having the private pool), so it mainly comes down to your personal preference as between size/pool or view. The views are quite nice, though you obviously get the same views from the public areas of the resort.

There is not a huge difference between ocean front and ocean view -- ocean front is just in the front "row" of buildings closest to the water (but still over a small cliff). I believe that some of the ocean view rooms are in buildings further up the hill, so possibly not as easily walkable as ocean front would be.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 11:31 am

Thank you all for the great advice! We're going before the holidays begin, so hopefully the resort will not be too busy like the week after. If occupancy isn't terribly high, I could ask about an upgrade from oceanfront room to ocean view suite (2 categories up).
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:50 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by Five Star Traveller
If occupancy isn't terribly high, I could ask about an upgrade from oceanfront room to ocean view suite (2 categories up).
This hotel will always offer paid upgrades at check-in - space available
Old Nov 17, 2015, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by ABG
This hotel will always offer paid upgrades at check-in - space available
Thank you. We will probably go this route if given the FSPP upgrade to a Garden View Suite and just pay the difference in rates for a better view. If not, we'll be very happy with just the Oceanfront room.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 4:17 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Preferred StR over FS--just returned from Thanksgiving stay. And Imanta impressed too

We just returned from 5 nights at the StR Punta Mita and I must say I was extremely impressed. We had been previously to the FS on 3 different visits, and this StR stay was the best.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...unta-mita.html

StR Pros:

(1) Even at 100% occupancy, the StR never felt crowded, even at the adults only pools. (It did seem as crowded as the FS at the other pools with children, FWIW.)

(2) Service was easily as good as at the FS. At the restaurants, service was definitely better than at the FS.

(3) Food and beverage were clearly superior at the StR. Even with the StR Murrieta's restaurant closed for renovation, the StR excelled. The Carolina Signature Restaurant is Michelin level dining. We dined there 3 of our 5 nights, and it definitely bests Aramara in terms of food quality, creativity, and service. Breakfast at StR Sea Breezes was slightly better and with more options and friendlier and more prompt service than at the FS Ketsi--even when the FS was at much lower occupancy.

(4) The StR room types are larger and more updated than those at the FS. The FS definitely feels dated.

(5) There seems to be more easily accessed beach at the StR. It isn't particularly swimmable (rocks underneath) but there was still far more beach.

(6) Beach and pool service was far better at the StR, even with it being 100% occupancy.

(7) More pool options at the StR. The FS infinity pool is nice, but it can get crowded. The 4 pools at the StR make crowding much less likely, and that was especially true for the 2 adults-only pools at the StR.

FS Pros:

(1) The FS beach is a bit more swimmable, with more sand than rocks in a few places. But a slight edge at best.

(2) Kids Club at FS for those who need this. (We don't!)

(3) The FS infinity pool is more dramatic.

(4) Ease of getting to the golf course for those who want this. (We don't!)

Imanta impressed, too:

We had sunset drinks and dinner one evening at Imanta to check it out. Very impressed. Much more dramatic and remote feeling location than either the StR or FS, even though it's just a 25-30 min drive. Feels like you're at a seclude villa property--more Aman in feel. Service was fantastic, and dinner was very good--though Carolina at StR still wins out IMO. It was also a bit breezier and cooler by a degree or two compared to the StR or FS due to its location on the other side of the Nayarit peninsula. This is a VERY worthy option for anyone wanting luxury in a more remote or private setting in/near Punta Mita.

Last edited by bhrubin; Nov 28, 2015 at 4:24 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.