Community
Wiki Posts
Search

current best hotel in JNB

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2009, 3:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: LX HON Circle
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaE51-1/100.34.20; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

Dear fters. I did an extensive search and realized that the best hotel in JNB seems to be the Saxon. I have about 30h, 1 night, to spend and am looking for a nice hotel where I can just hang out a bit, relax and enjoy decent food. Also I'd like to get in touch with african culture. Has anybody been there recently? I saw prices for about 400usd. Ist that a good price? Any particular recommendations? Should I take the hotel car transfer from the airport? What about the the Westcliff? I am going end me May, hope i can use the swimming pool at that time also.

Thank you for your valuable input. I certainly will report back after my stay!

Last edited by f4freeJunior; Mar 18, 2009 at 3:22 am
Old Mar 18, 2009, 8:22 am

Programs: DL PM; Marriott Rewards Gold; Amex Platinum
The Saxon is a great hotel, but I'm not sure it's worth it for just 1 night. The rooms are spectacular, but in reality, you're not going to get much time there. You might be better off booking at the Grace or Michelangelo, which will be significantly less money for only the one night, while still very nice hotels.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaE51-1/100.34.20; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

thanks.
I'll be arriving on a saturday morning ard 9am and my flight back to Europe is ard 5pm on sunday. So I think I still would have enough time to enjoy the hotel facilities don't you think?
I think the michelange is much more like on of those standard hotels we get to stay on business trips no?
Price is not such of an issue this time since I don't need to pay for it with my own money
Old Mar 18, 2009, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
My Virtuoso agent has stayed at the Saxon herself and says it is truly spectacular. She booked us there for 1 night in June as we transit to Singita. My Virtuoso agent has never given me a bad recommendation, and in fact her choices have all turned out to be very spectacular.

I would firmly support the Saxon.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 4:11 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by trojanman
My Virtuoso agent has stayed at the Saxon herself and says it is truly spectacular. She booked us there for 1 night in June as we transit to Singita.
She? You mean you don't buy from DavidO?

If you have the budget The Saxon will be a great overnight 100%. If you do not, then The Westcliff is the alternative. Saxon gives airport transfers I believe, so that helps a tad with the budget
Old Mar 18, 2009, 5:00 pm

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Totally agree about the Saxon. It's in a class by itself.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL PM; Marriott Rewards Gold; Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by f4freeJunior

thanks.
I'll be arriving on a saturday morning ard 9am and my flight back to Europe is ard 5pm on sunday. So I think I still would have enough time to enjoy the hotel facilities don't you think?
I think the michelange is much more like on of those standard hotels we get to stay on business trips no?
Price is not such of an issue this time since I don't need to pay for it with my own money
Definitely a completely other story. I misread your post to think that you were simply on a quick transit. The Michelangelo is big and somewhat businesslike, but the rooms are really little suites (which I like) and the location is great, as it is in the heart of an area with lots of restaurants and shops. It worked for us well, but I would agree, if you want the total luxury experience, book the Saxon (just make sure to request an early check-in).
Old Mar 19, 2009, 10:49 am

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
I am partial to The Westcliff - great facilities, nice location, best pool in JNB, great food, nice mix of people in the evening.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 11:02 am
Original Poster

But would you think I'll still be able to use the pool end of May? Isn't it already too cold there by the time I'll be there?
Old Mar 19, 2009, 9:27 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Expl, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres, National EE, AA Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by f4freeJunior
But would you think I'll still be able to use the pool end of May? Isn't it already too cold there by the time I'll be there?
How cold is 'too cold' for you? A Google search reveals that the average high temps in May are around 20-degrees Celsius (64-69 Fahrenheit), dropping closer to 18 and 19 by the end of the month.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarshKing
How cold is 'too cold' for you? A Google search reveals that the average high temps in May are around 20-degrees Celsius (64-69 Fahrenheit), dropping closer to 18 and 19 by the end of the month.
I'm gonna be there the last wkd of May. So I guess I'll still be able to have a swim .
Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:27 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by ABG
She? You mean you don't buy from DavidO?

If you have the budget The Saxon will be a great overnight 100%. If you do not, then The Westcliff is the alternative. Saxon gives airport transfers I believe, so that helps a tad with the budget
HA! Seriously, I feel like one of the only people on the board to NOT use him.

As great as David might be, I absolutely love my agent and would not trade her for the world. She has personally negotiated rates for us better than the Virtuoso rate at several properties. She's also gotten properties to combine Virtuoso amenities with non-Virtuoso packages, allowing us to "double dip". Perhaps this is just par for course in a bad travel economy, but I'm lovin' it so far!
Old Mar 26, 2009, 5:20 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
The Saxon is definitely in a league of its own. There's no way you would be disappointed in staying there.

We usually overnight at the Grace, simply because it's a very nice hotel, and my wife likes to shop at the arts and crafts stores which are connected to the hotel. But neither it nor the Westcliff compare to the Saxon.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 5:42 am

If you want the best hotel in JNB it is The Saxon. Full stop.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by eba205
The Saxon is a great hotel, but I'm not sure it's worth it for just 1 night. The rooms are spectacular, but in reality, you're not going to get much time there. You might be better off booking at the Grace or Michelangelo, which will be significantly less money for only the one night, while still very nice hotels.
So, I'm in a similar position to the OP, but actually have only a relatively quick stopover (arriving ~4 PM, leaving next morning at ~10 AM). Mostly I'd like a fairly nice place to stay near (or containing) somewhere to get a nice meal, ideally without a ridiculous amount of travel to/from JNB (the airport).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.