Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

The Lodge, Verbier (A Virgin Limited Edition property)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2009, 7:32 am
formerly vienna-resident
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

I promised to write a review about my stay at The Lodge, Verbier last fall. Never had the time, until now. So here it is:

Introduction
I have been following the development this property since the first the first press announcement. The Lodge only rents the rooms out individually during the summer season and even then at a minimum stay of 3 nights. As they have a rather strict cancellation policy which is incompatible with my ever-changing business schedule, I decided for a last-minute booking. I called the London office on a Wednesday night, but they apparently only work during UK business hours. So I finally had someone on the line on Thursday morning and asked about availability for 3 nights with arrival on the same day. Turns out they had space available, in fact we were to be the only guests for the weekend! So I booked and we left Zurich for Verbier after leaving the office in the afternoon.

We arrived around 8:00 pm at the Lodge, which is located about 200m after the Medran skilift station on the left side. We were already met outside by a staff member, who led us inside and immediately asked whether we would like a glas of champagne while he unload our car. Well, sure. We made ourselves comfortable in the living room/lounge by the fireplace. The dining table was already set for just the two of us - we immdiately felt like being at home.

Rooms
There are IIRC 9 double rooms and one bunk room with 3 bunk beds for the kids. We had a look at all of them during our stay, every one of them is different, but all of them are very cosy with lots of wood and great bathroom. As we were the only guests, we were upgraded to one two the master suites on the top floor, which are equipped with gas fireplaces in the middle of the room. It was a bit faulty though, as it kept shutting down and restarting after burning for about 10 mins. This was the only issue with the room, everything else worked flawlessly. The rooms are extremely comfortable with the huge bathroom with the freestanding egg-shaped tub, fantastic bedding and loungy chairs and sofa. All lights a dimmable, which I find really important. The things in the minibar are -included in room rate.

F&B
Essentially, this is an all-inclusive resort and you are encouraged to help yourself to anything you would like (still, there are always staff members who gladly serve it to you). There is a good house champagne (both white and rose), and about 8 white and 8 red wines and of course plenty of spirits to choose from. The quality of the wines and spirits is ok, could be a bit more high-end for my taste. Food, on the other hand, is fabulous: As we were the only guests, we had our 'private chef' who consulted with us every afternoon regarding the dinner menu. Dinner is as leisurely or formal as you want, they'd do anything from just a burger and fries to mutli-course gourmed menus, standard dinner is a three course menu. Before arrival, you are asked to fill in a document indicating you meal preferences (what do you like/not like, sepecial requests, dietary requirements, etc.) so that the chef can prepare accordingly. Guests are encouraged to visit the chef, Gervin, in the kitchen at any time. Gervin is a very likeably guy from the Netherlands who has been trained at several top-restaurants around the world. He is very accommodating for special requests, even at short notice (feel like having a souffle for dessert after having just finished the main course: no problem. Gerving made an excellent passion fruit souffle). Breakfast is served both buffet-style (muesli, juices, fruit, pastries, bread) and a-la-carte (warm dishes). Lunch is served whereever you want and is usally something simple (pasta with tomato sauce and a bowl of green salad), but special requests are welcome (we ordered a burger&fries on our departure day). What we also liked is the aperitif fingerfood by the fireplace which was delicous and very well presented.

Activities
We were there in early fall, so can't comment on wintertime activities. We went up the mountain with the Medran cable car for a walk with a magnificent view and took a stroll through the village center. At the lodge, there is an indoor pool and jacuzzi, steam room, spa with spa therapist (no need to pre-book, which was great. Just let here know when you'd like the massage) and an outdoor jacuzzi which is usable all year - we had our sunset champagne there, which was really nice. Generally, it was a lazy, relaxing weekend for us, so we did not check out any of the multitude of activities they offer, from wine tasting to paragliding. There is also a cool lounge/party/bar area downstairs with a huge TV, karaoke, playstaing, etc.

Verdict
Not cheap, but well worth the money. Loved the flexibilty of the staff with everything. Of course it was very special as we were the only guests, it's probably different if most or all the rooms would be occupied by couples who don't know each other (you'd be kind of forcred to socialize then). Would definitely return, especially renting the whole lodge one day would be great, with family and friends. Well, maybe one day for a round birthday...

Feel free to ask any questions. I will try to post some pics in the next days (time permitting)
Old Jan 16, 2009, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

great report ^

Originally Posted by vienna-resident
...The Lodge only rents the rooms out individually during the summer season and even then at a minimum stay of 3 nights...
http://www.thelodge.virgin.com/en/the_lodge/prices
You can reserve individual rooms at The Lodge during the winter season if the chalet has not been booked for exclusive use six weeks prior to the set arrival date.
http://www.thelodge.virgin.com/resou...rd_2008_09.pdf
Please note these rates exclude one evening meal out when guests can sample the gourmet delights of Verbier
sounds like they dont always make you do that?

also, if you used the car service, what did you think?

summer 25th May 2008 – 26th October 2008
winter 29th November 2008 - 26th April 2009
summer 19th June 2009 to 20th September 2009

are they closed in between

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.