The Luxury Hotels of Hawaii

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Luxury Hotels of Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2013, 3:16 am

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Try Mauna Kea further down the beach. They have the most beautiful beach on the island and endless numbers of chaise lounges. Whenever you decide to go to the beach there will be chairs. Now if you are more of a pool type this property is probably not for you, rooms are not as fancy, but if you like the beach this is the best on the island, and no need to get up at 6, or 7, or 8 to reserve a chair. You can get there at 1, or 2 or whenever! Have been going since I was a kid and although have tried many others in Hawaii including both FS, always come back to Mauna Kea for that real Hawaiian beach vacation.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 7:38 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
When we were there 2 summers ago and staying in a villa, we would reserve our chairs on the way to breakfast at about 8:30 and it was not a problem. However, by about 11 it seems that almost all of the pool chairs were taken. There were always plenty of chairs available on the beach at all times.

I have heard that villa owners and renters are not being allowed to use the prime pool chairs during the busy times of year at Hualalai anymore.

I think they need to devise a long term solution to this budding problem. They may need to find another place to build a new pool or expand their existing pool decks. I am one of those people who does not want to wake up at the crack of dawn while on vacation to get pool chairs at a resort charging 1k a night.

Having said that, it seems to only be a problem during the super busy weeks. I might avoid going over Christmas.

In all other respects, this resort is spectacular and we can't wait to go back.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Valveking
expand their existing pool decks
i wonder why they havent done that yet.. with the residences, part of funding could be from an assessment

I have heard that villa owners and renters are not being allowed to use the prime pool chairs during the busy times of year at Hualalai anymore.
this good news came up at least once before, maybe in another thread

by about 11 it seems that almost all of the pool chairs were taken
hmm

chairs were full by 11 or so, there were plenty available after 1 o'clock
interesting

mauna kea also has residences, but beach is big (and real/quality)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 10, 2013 at 11:33 am
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:58 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
i wonder why they havent done that yet.. with the residences, part of funding could be from an assessment

this good news came up at least once before, maybe in another thread

hmm

mauna kea also has residences, but beach is big

They have also raised the per diem that they are charging the villa renters. I think it may be up to$45 a day per person. They should use some of that money to build a new pool.

Even though the chairs were full by 11 or so, there were plenty available after 1 o'clock, so it was not a huge problem.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:31 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Another fan of the Mauna Kea. The beachfront rooms have just been remodeled. In late October we stayed in an 8th floor deluxe ocean view. The view was spectacular and our room was beautiful. I have stayed at Hualali once and will never return because it lacks a beach and because of the craziness over the chairs. IMHO the Mauna Kea has the most beautiful beach in Hawaii. At its busiest, I have never seen a shortage of beach chairs or umbrellas. The pool can not compare to the 4S. Not an issue for me as I love to swim in the ocean and Mauna Kea has great swimming beach and areas for snorkeling..I have also received nice Virtuoso benefits from my T.A.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.