Peninsula BKK Pre Arrival Offer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2008, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club

I contacted management of Pen BKK via email recently. I tend to do this before I arrive at all 5* hotels in hopes of securing an upgrade beyond the 1 category offered by FHR or Virtuoso. In most cases I am either confirmed back with my 1 category upgrade or offered a higher upgrade for less than rack rate.

I was shocked to see the response that the hotel was willing to upgrade me from a Deluxe Suite to a Duplex Suite (a 5 category upgrade) for a TOTAL nightly rate of around USD$1000. Not sure what the rack rate is on the Duplex, but based on the rate of the much smaller Terrace Suite of $1800 per night, I imagine it's over $2500 or $3000 per night.

Never one to be satisfied, I responded kindly that I accept their generous offer, but would like to be upgraded to the Peninsula (penthouse) suite if possible.

Anyone stayed in a Duplex before? How about the Peninsula? I'd love to hear feedback about them but information on the interweb is understandably hard to come by.

I haven't even arrived and the Pen is already shaping up to be my favorite hotel in the world!
Old Aug 12, 2008, 2:55 pm

Nice upgrade. You will be joining MEGATOPLOVER who posts regularly on here as The Peninsulas biggest fan. You should check out some of his many posts on the peninsula, he is quite the expert on the subject.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Un-corrected.

Last edited by Pickles; Aug 12, 2008 at 4:44 pm Reason: Live and learn
Old Aug 12, 2008, 4:29 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Rack rate here:
http://bangkok.peninsula.com/pbk/published_rates.html

About USD2970.00 at todays FX rate
I hope it pans out for you
Old Aug 12, 2008, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

great info trojanman. ^ certainly an amazing upgrade as is, but good luck with peninsula suite.

"how about the peninsula?" surely you jest. bangkok has got to have at least a thousand posts here, and the primary choices here are Pen and MO.

BTW the top suite (~350m2) at FS also starts around $1K.

and uh, Pickles, you actually made it incorrect.
you might want to check out his posts in the recent NYE thread.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 12, 2008 at 4:47 pm
Old Aug 12, 2008, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
and uh, Pickles, you actually made it incorrect.
you might want to check out his posts in the recent NYE thread.
Oops: http://www.unc.edu/depts/jomc/academics/dri/idog.html
Old Aug 12, 2008, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
great info trojanman. ^ certainly an amazing upgrade as is, but good luck with peninsula suite.

"how about the peninsula?" surely you jest. bangkok has got to have at least a thousand posts here, and the primary choices here are Pen and MO.
I was referring to the Peninsula Suite at the Peninsula. Wondering if anyone has stayed in it and can offer any comparison between the Duplex Suite.

Duh....
Old Aug 12, 2008, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

aha. perhaps vuittonofstyle can comment. i dont recall any 'named suite' reports except 1 or 2 posters that were not happy with the thai suite.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 5:49 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by Pauldublin
Nice upgrade. You will be joining MEGATOPLOVER who posts regularly on here as The Peninsulas biggest fan. You should check out some of his many posts on the peninsula, he is quite the expert on the subject.
That's right.

Headed back again in less than two weeks.

I haven't actually stayed in any of the named suites, yet. When looking to plan a special occassion, I visited all of the suites to see which suited my needs for this event. I certainly liked all of the suites and would enjoy staying in any of them, even if they contain a lot more room than Mr. Megatop and I would ever need, unless we were entertaining a large group. In the end, I settled on the Thai suite, as I rather liked the richness of the decor and the layout of the main room best suited my needs. I don't remember much detail about the Duplex vs. Peninsula suite, so can't help much on that question.

But you might be joining deposed Prime Minister and now fugitive Thaksin Shinawatra on the roster of guests in the Peninsula suite. He stayed there on his first night back in Thailand after returning from self-imposed exile.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Just heard back from PBK and they have us all booked in the Duplex. It sounded like they may have been willing to give us the Peninsula Suite, but they said it does not have as nice of a terrace, nor does it have an outdoor jacuzzi.

It might have been their very polite way of telling me I'm not worthy, but they said the Duplex would be more romantic for a couple celebrating their anniversary (which we are).

Either way, I'm EXCITED!!
Old Feb 9, 2009, 9:48 am

Currently only rack rates are quoted on the Peninsula website for my trip next January. I would prefer to get one of their incentive packages if it is available. Could anyone please post the reservation manager's or GM's contact info for the Peninsula in BKK? Please feel free to PM me if you think that is more appropriate.

Thanks
Old Feb 9, 2009, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Maxfinder
Currently only rack rates are quoted on the Peninsula website for my trip next January. I would prefer to get one of their incentive packages if it is available. Could anyone please post the reservation manager's or GM's contact info for the Peninsula in BKK? Please feel free to PM me if you think that is more appropriate.

Thanks
Resident Manager as of August 2008 was Joseph Chong.
Rooms Director as of August 2008 was Vivienne Lam.

I suggest emailing both of them.

All peninsula email addresses are first initial, last name @ peninsula.com

ie. John Smith would be jsmith @ peninsula .com
Old Feb 9, 2009, 10:04 am

Thanks Trojanman!
Old Feb 9, 2009, 3:02 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
So how was the Duplex Suite, trojanman?
Old Feb 9, 2009, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by luxury
So how was the Duplex Suite, trojanman?
I don't have my pictures with me at work, but in a word: spectacular.

We arrived via the Pen's signature green rolls royce, were greeted at the door by our personal attache, and then promptly whisked up to the suite. There are only a total of 5 suites sharing the entirety of the top 2 floors of the Pen, with the Duplex being the second largest one. We had an early AM arrival, so there was a nice selection of juice, fruit, and pastries with handwritten note from the GM welcoming us.

We were given a personal tour of the suite, and all features were pointed out to us:

There is a powder room at the entrance and a full bedroom and additional bathroom to the left of that. To the right is an expansive living room with 2-story floor to ceiling windows (electronic curtains of course), a telescope, a formal sitting area, an informal TV area, a breakfast nook, a full dining room for 8, and a small kitchen. There is also a medium-sized outdoor terrace with an additional table and chaise lounges.

Head upstairs and you land at the loft area. This is similar to a library, with plenty of shelves, books, and a couple chairs. The loft leads to the second balcony, much larger than the one below. This one has yet another table, several chaise lounges, and a jacuzzi. There are sweeping 180 degree views of the bangkok skyline, and I got to enjoy quite a lightning show while soaking in the hot tub.

Head back towards the stairs and you will find the master bedroom - what would have been a glorious suite all on its own. Dark wood floors, his and hers closets and a magnificent bathroom with fresh flowers all over. To one end of the corridor is the bedroom, spacious but nothing special. To the other end was an office complete with phone, fax, tv, shortwave radio, safe, desk, and a large cushy reading chair that just screamed "sit down and have a cigar and scotch". Beyond the office is a semi-private dressing room for "her". I can imagine first ladies and heads of state putting on their gowns here.

The piece de resistance was an unmarked private door that led directly to the heli-lounge. Just a novelty for me, but this was a sign that I was in a spectacular place.

If I had my way, I would update the TVs to flat screens and modernize the decor slightly. The hotel was built in the late 90's, so this will sound funny...but it looks like it was decorated straight out of the 80's, albeit in a luxurious fashion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.