Wiki Posts
Search

Tips for Chambermaids in Luxury Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2008, 5:51 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Tips for Chambermaids in Luxury Hotels

We will be in a luxury hotel in Paris this year. Is it proper to tip a chambermaid? If so - how much? And is it done on a daily basis - or at the end of the trip? Tipping chambermaids is not the norm in the United States - but we would like to do what is appropriate in Europe. Robyn
Old Jun 28, 2008, 6:36 am

Tipping

Originally Posted by robyng
We will be in a luxury hotel in Paris this year. Is it proper to tip a chambermaid? If so - how much? And is it done on a daily basis - or at the end of the trip? Tipping chambermaids is not the norm in the United States - but we would like to do what is appropriate in Europe. Robyn
If you are in the room when the maid comes to do the turndown, or to make up your room in the morning, then it is polite to tip them 1 Euro or 2, but nobody really expects you to leave money at the end of your stay. It tends to be a face to face thing.

Also, restaurant staff, concierges etc do not expect the huge tips that are the norm in the US. 5 Euros for an exceptional service is very acceptable.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Gold
Tipping chambermaids is not the norm in the US? That's a surprise to me. I have never not tipped a chambermaid, in the US or in Europe.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Many European hotels have a service charge that is added onto your bill, 10% is what I've often seen. In theory, this should cover all the service given by any employees, unless it's something very special.

There are numerous threads on FT about tipping. It's a very hot subject, so perhaps this thread will get merged with one of those.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 6:33 am

Programs: SPG: Plat; Amex: Plat.; Star Alliance: Gold, One World: Gold
If I get a some special service then I might tip, but not normally. The prices in luxury hotels are already high and should include good housekeeping.

I normally stay in luxury hotels, but I had to stay last year at Marriott Marquis in NY since I attended in a congress there. The house keeping there was much better that I expected in a Marriott and there I left tip on departure.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 12:38 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
In the US and Canada, I always leave a daily gratuity for the Housekeeper ranging from $2-$3 all the way up to $20 or more depending upon the calibre of hotel and the size of the room/suite. Another factor is how messy we have left the room.

In Asia, because we are charged a flat 10% service fee I usually do not leave anything and the same in Europe/UK. However, depending upon the circumstances I may leave a small gratuity if something highly "extra" was provided.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 12:58 pm

I've long thought that the "proper," "expected," or "correct," thing to do was to leave a couple dollars for each night's stay. I usually leave that money on the pillow on my last day, before I walk out of the room to go check out. If a chambermaid or someone else does something special for me I will tip him/her face to face. Otherwise, leaving a tip on the pillow is my practice. I think I've also seen articles about this in various travel magazines, and that this practice isn't unusual.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 1:10 pm
Suspended

Why oh why do you people think that tipping is a way of life, and why do you think because this is the way it is in the usa that this is the way it should be every where else in the world, I personally find your mentality offensive = I also find the tone of your post amazing, it is as if you think the rest of the world is third world at best and you expect that everywhere to be just like home
Old Jun 30, 2008, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by luxury
In the US and Canada, I always leave a daily gratuity for the Housekeeper ranging from $2-$3 all the way up to $20 or more depending upon the calibre of hotel and the size of the room/suite. Another factor is how messy we have left the room.

In Asia, because we are charged a flat 10% service fee I usually do not leave anything and the same in Europe/UK. However, depending upon the circumstances I may leave a small gratuity if something highly "extra" was provided.
I've always done a couple of dollars per day in the US. $20? Is that daily? I'd say that's very, very generous.

Mike
Old Jun 30, 2008, 1:03 pm

I think it's best to leave a tip each day since the chamberservice personnel may change. However, when I check in for a stay and do not have my room made up in the interval, nor ask for towels, etc., I do not leave a tip.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 1:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by flyr16
I've long thought that the "proper," "expected," or "correct," thing to do was to leave a couple dollars for each night's stay. . .
In the Americas and Europe (I don't tip maids in Asia), I follow a similar practice. At a mid-range hotel (Westin, Sheraton, Hilton, Marriott), I'll leave $2-3 per night, as a rule, assuming they've done the job on the room. If I'm missing things or cleanliness is an issue, I don't reward the lack of attention to detail.

At upper-scale properties I'll generally leave the equivalent of $5, but have, on occasion, upped that to $10 (more on a rare occasion) when attention to detail, or the degree of my mess, seems to warrant it.

I've heard and considered all the arguments against the practice, but I still feel it is appropriate. These folks work very hard for the minimal money they earn and if my $2, $3, $5 or $10 is meaningful to them as a token of appreciation for a job well done, I'm happy to part with it.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 2:01 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
In the Americas and Europe (I don't tip maids in Asia), I follow a similar practice. At a mid-range hotel (Westin, Sheraton, Hilton, Marriott), I'll leave $2-3 per night, as a rule, assuming they've done the job on the room. If I'm missing things or cleanliness is an issue, I don't reward the lack of attention to detail.

At upper-scale properties I'll generally leave the equivalent of $5, but have, on occasion, upped that to $10 (more on a rare occasion) when attention to detail, or the degree of my mess, seems to warrant it.

I've heard and considered all the arguments against the practice, but I still feel it is appropriate. These folks work very hard for the minimal money they earn and if my $2, $3, $5 or $10 is meaningful to them as a token of appreciation for a job well done, I'm happy to part with it.
AZ TRAVELS... has said it well. I feel the same -- these small amounts of money (to me) are a lot to the people cleaning the rooms. I feel good about leaving these tips as long as the service is good. And, as another poster mentioned, I try to do it daily as the person doing the room may change from day to day.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Gold
What are the arguments against tipping chambermaids? Other than a "tips are included" situation - or someone who does a terrible job - I can't think of one. Thanks.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 7:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Fontaine
What are the arguments against tipping chambermaids?
Just the standard, "Maid service is included in the price I'm paying for the room. If I don't get 'above and beyond' service, there is no reason to tip." Or, "Americans are spoiling it for the rest of us with their ludicrous tipping for nothing at all -- creating an expectation of a tip" arguments. (In my opinion, generally offered by people who are cheap -- and trying to justify it. )

Here is a typical FT thread on the topic for your reading pleasure.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
I tip chambermaids wherever I go, Asia, US, Australia etc. In another life I worked in a Sheraton at the bottom of the chain and can empathise with everyone at the bottom. I leave my tip on the cistern top. I don't want any of the supervisors popping in to collect the undeserved tips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.