Search

Adventure luxury resorts

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2008, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Cent. BA Gold
Adventure luxury resorts

Hi everyone,

My wife and I just returned from The Four Seasons Tented Camp in the Golden Triangle and we are so enamored by the experience of the combined adventure/resort idea that we're looking for more.

I notice that other four seasons properties offer adventure packages for example Costa Rica, but we're curious if anyone else knows of other luxury resort chains or stand alones that have the same sort of feel.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks very much.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 9:34 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Latitude 151?
Old Mar 19, 2008, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

#1 - African safari

maybe - Amanwana

Longitude 131 is one of 15 Voyages Resorts (Australia), which are not very well regarded here in terms of luxury

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 19, 2008 at 10:49 am
Old Mar 19, 2008, 1:16 pm

I agree with the previous poster that a luxury safari would definitely seem to fit what you're looking for! Take a look at CC Africa: www.ccafrica.com. I went on safari at one of their properties in South Africa last year (Exeter Leadwood Lodge), and loved the experience so much that I'll be visiting a few of their properties in Tanzania this year!
Old Mar 19, 2008, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
I, too, have been to several ccafrica camps, and I have nothing but glowing reviews! ^
Old Mar 19, 2008, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Cent. BA Gold
That's exactly what I'm talking about/looking for... thanks for the ideas! Are there any properties around that are a little closer to home, like south/central america or whatnot?
Old Mar 19, 2008, 4:00 pm

amanwana is fab with lots of adventure
Old Mar 19, 2008, 4:03 pm

Amankora in Bhutan or Amanwana in Indonesia seem of offer what your looking for.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 5:49 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
You might also look at Clayoquot Wilderness Resort on Vancouver Island near Tofino. It's a luxury tented camp resort, all inclusive (including meals, activities, spa, fishing, etc.), focusing on nature and wildlife. I'm going to be doing a 3 day site inspection of Clayoquot at the end of May and will post my observations. The Virtuoso amenities add an additional spa treatment per person per stay and a 2-hour Chef Table Cooking Class.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

look forward to your report david.

OTOH wouldnt most of the canada/alaska lodges be lighter on luxury? kind of like some of the NZ lodges. as well as other eco oriented places especially at the tip of south america. - same price as FS chiang rai or singita etc, but not as good of a value.

just noticed the property david mentioned starts at $3185/nt for 3 nts (+29% taxes/fees)

re africa http://www.wilderness-safaris.com/ seems like the best regarded large lodge network here. singita is probably best regarded in ZA, then londolozi.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 23, 2008 at 9:05 am
Old Mar 23, 2008, 7:47 am

FS Tented Camp is UNIQUE

There is nowhere like FS Tented Camp - it is unique. Yes, Amanwana has a sort of diving-quality adventure feel to it, and Amankora has the trekking aspect, but neither are in the same league. Aman-i-Khas has the sense of camping out, but unfortunately without too many tiger sightings (if any). Singita Lebombo & Sweni has wildlife and is pretty chic, but when you compare FS Tented Camp, with its amazing bridge that connects the two bluffs, the elephant Mahout training and the sheer quality of it all, then no.....
if I were you, I would go back to FS Tented Camp and take the second level Mahout training course. They given you a different coloured outfit every time you take the course - like a black belt in Karate. How cool is that...
Old Mar 23, 2008, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

very interesting, how many levels are there?

BTW there are elephantback safaris in addition to horseback and walking.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
very interesting, how many levels are there?

BTW there are elephantback safaris in addition to horseback and walking.
Not sure how many levels of Mahout training there are at FS Tented Camp, but a friend of mine has been four times and is now at advanced Mahout level. As part of the programme, they always give you your Mahout uniform, which consists of loose trousers and top and a wide sash. I only have the first level (blue). Beats having an Amanjunkie tee-shirt, though. The elephant safaris tend to be for more advanced Mahouts, as it's not easy!
Old Mar 24, 2008, 10:09 am

Programs: A Few
Just back from Amankora (Paro, Thimphu, Punakha & Gangtey lodges) in Bhutan. Amazing experience. Incredible country and people. Highly recommended and much more 'unique' than FS Tented Camp IMO. I'm going back for more next year.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 1:10 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold ne Platinum; AA Plat.
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
#1 - African safari

maybe - Amanwana

Longitude 131 is one of 15 Voyages Resorts (Australia), which are not very well regarded here in terms of luxury
Just to chime in (although the conversation may have moved on by this point), but I wanted to add my vote that Longitude 131 is not worth the money. We stayed in June 2006 and found it pleasant, but didn’t feel the benefits justified the costs. Just to plug another Voyages Resort though—we really enjoyed Lizard Island, although I don’t quite know if you’d classify it as luxurious. But it was a highlight of our honeymoon.

Back on topic slightly, we’re in the process of reserving the FS Chiang Rai for four nights next year. Given that they seem to use a three-night program, what do people do for the final, fourth day? Additional Mahount training?

Thanks.

Last edited by jgold; Mar 24, 2008 at 1:33 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.