Reload this Page >

Buenos Aires, Carmelo, Punta Del Este

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires, Carmelo, Punta Del Este

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2008, 6:42 am

Yes, Ponta des Ganchos, outside Floripa, is far from everything. It really is a "destination spot," likely best for couples. There is much more to do in Floripa proper, the most upscale area there is around Jurere International, on the north of the island. Yet, there are no Four Season like properties on Floripa.

Alternatively, Buzios has many beaches and is great for a few days. Yet, in Buzios you will likely want to go to various beaches, all within 5 to ten minutes from town, either by rent a car or easy taxi.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flamboyant 1
Punta is probably not right for my family as we dislike gambling and over-crowded places.
Originally Posted by flyr16
or, further out, and very boutiquey, La Posada del Faro, in Jose Ignacio.
http://www.departures.com/articles/uruguay
(login - john smith / password - 371909)
It seems every description of José Ignacio includes the phrase "twenty years ago." "Like Ibiza twenty years ago!" people will tell you. "Like Aix twenty years ago!" The town itself is doing what it can to hold on to those 20 years as long as possible, limiting building height and vigorously stopping sprawl along the coastline...

"José Ignacio is too small to accommodate much more development," says José García Arocena, the 49-year-old owner of Posada del Faro, a 12-room hotel in town...

Unlike Punta, José Ignacio is driven by a mantra of discernment, not development. It's a town of carefully cultivated pleasures, many of them hidden from the casual tourist. You'll find it in the few small hotels, such as Arocena's, which hides the conveniences of Wi-Fi and room service in a setting that feels like a private country home...

In the last year or two, Marismo's Desseno says, he has noticed the summer season stretching past January and well into February, with many returning in April, around Easter, for one last fling before winter sets in...
Old Jan 9, 2008, 1:03 pm

I was in Punta/Jose Ignacio just a few days back. I've stayed at both the Conrad and the Mantra but most of the time rent a house when visiting Punta. The Mantra is less americanized, smaller, and in a better location (IMO), and with a much larger pool then the Conrad. There's many Brazilians at the Mantra. Golf in Punta is not a problem - there a quite a few courses. All in all, Punta and Jose Ignacio are insider places (meaning to truly enjoy it you need to know others that go there). It's not a place to see things/do stuff - but it's more about relaxing and being seen. If you don't speak Spanish it's not an ideal destination - e.g. English papers/magazines are very hard to come by. Also, to get a hotel room at either (or any) of these properties in high season is not that easy - there's almost no competition and they block rooms for regulars. One week minimums are also often required. The point is that almost all people rent an apt/house in or near Punta and stay for many weeks (houses mostly rent by 2 week/month/seasonal blocks).

That said - if you do speak Spanish (and your kids are teens or older) it is THE place to go to - especially Jose Ignacio (La Huella and Marismo are two must go to restaurants). With an excellent beach scene (as long as your wife is a top model or not the jeaulous type) and dining options and night life (which starts very late - no-one has diner before 9:30PM and going out starts at 1AM or later.) It does not feel very crowded (in La Barra and Jose Ignacio) and is very laid back.

You could look into some of the ranches/estancias near Jose Ignacio - not to far to drive to the beach and the action - and great if you like horseback riding/the gaucho life. Sorry - never stayed at one and can't make recommendations.

If you only plan on spending a few days I'd suggest looking elsewhere as that is kind of is against the whole vibe of Punta.

Last edited by erik123; Jan 10, 2008 at 7:14 am
Old Feb 20, 2008, 9:22 am

I just returned from a month in SA and have a few comments. I adored the Alvear Palace, well located and not stuffy, but with all the amenities. Somehow, with all the busy comings and goings, they knew my name. Great restaurants and guidance from the Concierge staff. Great Argentinian shop about a block away with great prices for souveniers.

In Rio, I stayed at the Caesar Park and would never stay there again. First, with Stern and Amsterdam shops in the lobby, one could not look at a display without being casually accosted. The front desk staff was inadequately manned for busy times, the concierge staff ditto and they were not very helpful to me at all. The room had a threadbare carpet with stains. The A/C was non-existent and finally, with no one to answer the phones, the room service phone answerer called maintenance for me. He made it worse and then left the ceiling tiles off. I could go on and on. On the day of departure, it took me 45 minutes to get any department on the phone to have a bellman take my luggage. The food was good and I didn't mind the little roof pool, but then, I just liked the view.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 5:50 am

We just returned from Buenos Aires with a stay at the Park Hyatt. Wow,what a great hotel. The combination of old & new with that fabulous inner green space blew away my expectations.

We visited the Four Seasons(public areas), and the decor was very nice but had a bland corporate feel to it. Plus I noticed how close the highway was, with very little green areas. The hotel seemed like it was in direct sun light. The mansion behind the main hotel was impressive.

The Alvear Palace appeared dated and stuffy.

The Park Hyatt was nice in that it had nice modern rooms, several eating areas and a good spa/gym. When you were in there green outdoor space, the hectic,noisy city just seemed to fade away.

I love the Fourseasons, but I can now definitely add the Park Hyatt to the list of hotels that are considered top notch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.