Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amanpuri or Trisara

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2007, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
Amanpuri or Trisara

I've read reviews in Fodors, Tripadvisor and travel magazines but I'm still undecided. Banyan Tree seems to be popular but I've been to that resort a few times and want a new fabulous place just for 2 nights. I will most probably not leave the premises the whole stay.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Amanpuri is better regarded here, but villas with private pools start MUCH cheaper at Trisara.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 8:34 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Depends on what you're looking for..we enjoy both & go to both. We usually don't leave the grounds either. Amanpuri is ' homey ' to us & is undergoing some renovations now..new gym/ reataurant, etc.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 8:45 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Both resorts are Virtuoso; Amanpuri is FHR.

Amanpuri is significantly more expensive with a full Ocean View Pavilion going for $925 low season, $1300 high season. Virtuoso amenities include:
  • Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability
  • Daily continental breakfast served in the restaurant or via room service
  • Lunch for two one time during stay

Trisara has Ocean View Pool Villas as low as $595 May-October, going up as high as $1,035 in high season.
  • Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability
  • Full American breakfast daily served in the restaurant
  • A US $100 spa credit per room once per stay
Old Aug 8, 2007, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
Thanks everyone. I like to walk into a resort and think "Wow!". Also like to be treated as a very special guest.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 11:16 am

Trisara is currently best

We first stayed at Amanpuri when it opened back in 88 and have always loved it. Banyan Tree, by the way, is not great - very package tour. Trisara is currently the best option. It has the best food, the best service and the best most comfortable villas. Custom-made beds are heaven.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 12:14 pm

I prefer Amanpuri. The beach is beautiful at Amanpuri but not so nice at Trisara so that might be a factor if you want to stay within the grounds.Also depending on your budget, the upper end pavillions and villas are spectacular at Amanpuri.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 8:54 am

Programs: some
Welcome to FT, vuittonsoftstyle!
Old Aug 12, 2007, 9:03 pm

Amanpuri .. Thai modern; Trisara .. modern somewhat Thai

Amanpuri has a new lap pool /beach club at ' mid-level ' located upslope behind the beach counter. It's breezy & with a lovely view of the sea. A new Japanese restaurant will be where the old gym was. Should be ready by Nov along with a new larger gym near the spa. You can barely hear the construction noise above the crashing waves/wind. The kids pool .. unfortunately , will also re-open then.

The service at Trisara , I have found, is ' iffy' but they are trying hard. On the plus side, the villas do come with a small private pool. The ' tiny ' suites also have a plunge or rather dipping pool.
Will be staying here next month.. can perhaps give an update then too on their villas construction, etc.

For impact & ' wow ', Amanpuri for sure. They treat everyone as special guests or rather as ' homeowners '. Trisara for the next stay , you can always visit for a meal/ tour when in Phuket.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 6:23 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
we stayed at Amanpuri and felt like total rock stars. they know your name right away and remember everything about you.... including what you like to eat and drink and any other preferences. i cannot wait to go back.... it was an amazing experience.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 11:08 am

Trisara versus Amanpuri - cont/

I used to adore Amanpuri. First went there when it opened in 1988, and have seen several times since. Love Pavilions 3 and 5, but the best option, I agree, is a Villa. You get so lazy staying in one of those, what with the cook and housekeeper, the pool....

However, I do think that the service has declined at Amanpuri. Fred Varnier is very superior these days, don't you think? I preferred it when he ran the Villas and Anthony Lark ran the resort.

I liked the Ocean view Villas at Trisara - they are so comfortable and cleverly designed. I would not stay in one of the tiny suites, but then as there are plenty of villas, nobody needs to. The food here was superb, too. Did you know that Adrian Zecha goes over to Trisara by boat to buy croissants?
Old Sep 7, 2007, 8:53 pm

Amanpuri still stands out for location , service and comfort even if service standards have fallen thro' the years. This is obvious to ' old timers '.

Am writing from Trisara & while I really like my oceanfront 2- bedrooms villa & the lovely main lap pool , I still prefer Amanpuri.
There have been too many service lapses .. language problems? -- e.g. information not provided when asked on check-in even after a day , querying me & those calling me over the phone unnecessarily even after I say OK to put call thro'.
The finesse just isn't present.
Tidying up is not like any Amans where the room is checked every time we leave & used items cleared.

These are only the minor bits I have brought up ... and I've stayed here numerous times " to help " after the tsunami. Think the grace period may be over . There 're only perhaps a handful of the original team - and they can hardly be faulted.

So if you like very good hardware , do not mind sloppy software & squeally kids ( as the kids club isn't ready yet ) , then Trisara will be OK. There's also construction work going on till 10 pm ( the new villas for sale ).
You can choose to hang out in your villa & not visit the library where the kids often are, Now to get away fr the library where I'm posting this & where there are kids now - to the pool
Old Sep 8, 2007, 5:35 am

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
Definitely Amanpuri

Trisara has service problems, and there is loud construction very often. They are Aman-wannabees, and while they make an effort, it is not a smooth, professional operation like Amanpuri. I would definitely go to Amanpuri over Trisara.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 7:13 pm

Programs: some
Having just returned from Amanpuri (our first visit) I just wanted to post a couple of comments. We *love* Aman but were frankly very disappointed with our villa. We booked the cheapest room category so perhaps should not have expected too much, but it had zero privacy as it was right by the road, as was its terrace. The villa next door was only a few metres away. The only way to have any privacy was to close all curtains and doors. The rooms were nice but not exactly stunning.

We asked to pay extra for a higher villa category but none were available. We were ready to leave right away - Maybe I'm stingy but for $750+++ I expect more. In the end they put is in a private villa at no extra cost -without us having asked for anything like that. I guess the fact we stayed polite and friendly and were willing to pay up made a difference (and possibly also our past stays at Aman properties of which they might have had a record). This was of course a magnificent gesture.

We would have gone to Trisara instead but didn't so I cannot compare. I just wanted to post this message to encourage people to pay for the more expensive room categories if you can, or to find alternatives. YMMV
Old Jan 4, 2008, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so you had a garden pavilion, no other pavilions were available, so they put you in a villa? nice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.