Wiki Posts
Search

Anguilla

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2007, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LHW
Anguilla

Would appreciate feedback on Anguilla for a winter vacation. I am thinking of the following for a quiet get-a-way and sheer relaxation:

Malliouhana Hotel & Spa
Cap Juluca
Cuisinart Resort

All are LHW properties. Again, would enjoy detailed feedback from all you Flyertalkers.

Thanks.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 5:02 pm

What are you looking for from your vacation ? Is it relaxtion, tranquility and good food or do you need good nightlife (perhaps combined with everything else) . Are there children in your party? This and any other information will help people here advise you.

Personally I prefer Maliouhana as do most of my friends.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 7:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
I have only stayed at the Cuisinart, but enjoyed it very much.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
I have stayed at both Malliouhana and CuisinArt. Personally, I prefer CuisinArt. The restaurant at Malliouhana is better if you are looking for fine dining. I find Malliouhana to be a bit "dated." The staff at both properties are excellent, with CuisinArt being a bit more informal. That said, I prefer informal to formal (stuffy) when on vacation. Anguilla is a great island if you are looking for beach and good dining. There is very little nightlife on Anguilla. Feel free to post or PM for more details. I've been to Anguilla many times and know the island quite well.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA EP 4+ million miles, Ambassador+ Elite
Anguilla

I have stayed at all 3 many times. Cap Juluca has been sold and the property is going downhill. I don't know what the status will be this winter. There is a new manager (1 year) at Cuisinart and the property is quite nice and staff wonderful. You will find that to be the case at any property in Anguilla. Malliouhana hasn't been refurbished in years, nor has Cap Juluca. Cap Juluca has the best beach. PM me if you want more specific details. I have been to the island over 50 times.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 2:52 pm

Programs: AC SE 2MM, too many others
I actually have the same question - except we will have an 18 month old with us. Anyone with views as to which is most appropriate ?
Old Jul 3, 2007, 6:13 pm

Anguilla

Malliouhana has a great children's program and area with a pirate ship, complete with water slide, game area and little children's playground. It is located adjacent to the beach and there is a pool there also.

My kids have grown up going to Anguilla and the islanders love children. I always hired a woman or young adult, through the hotel (any of the 3), to help with my kids and to supervise them at the children's area.

I don't think you can go wrong at any of the hotels.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 6:26 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IC Amb
Cool

Originally Posted by grumbler
I actually have the same question - except we will have an 18 month old with us. Anyone with views as to which is most appropriate ?
I too am contemplating a visit to Anguilla with a 3.5yr and 6mo old in tow.

WARNING: the following are conjectures since I haven't personally visited Anguilla yet.

Cap Juluca, being more of a honeymoon/anniversary destination, would be the least child-friendly. Not that children aren't allowed and they do have menu items for kids, but the general lack of other kids to play around with and possible intolerance/raised eyebrows from other guests would dissuade me from making CJ my top choice. Without kids, it would definitely be tops ^; even though there are many recent reports of dwindling service due to ownership issues.

Malliouhana over at Meads Bay definitely looks inviting, especially with the small pirates-theme water play area. But the general thoughts on the resort is that it tends to have an older "stuffy" crowd, which is understandable in that it is the oldest high-end resort on Anguilla with a long history of repeat customers.

Cuisinart is generally regarded as the most family-friendly and has a decent pool for toddlers to frolic in. Surprisingly, this resort has fewer recent service and upkeep complaints than the other two. It is the most modern of the 3. I think I'm going to end up there and make a trip or two to Malliouhana's pirate play area for the kids.

Last edited by W2B Globetrotter; Jul 4, 2007 at 6:32 am
Old Jul 4, 2007, 1:34 pm

Programs: AC SE 2MM, too many others
Follow up - if I want kitchen facilities, which one has the best villas (like a smallish 2 bedroom one - we don't need a mansion) ?
Old Jul 5, 2007, 3:22 am

Anguilla

Cap Juluca has he only villas of those hotels.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.caribbeanway.com/villa-page/ind/106278.asp nice 2BR villa from $600

http://www.covecastles.com/ villa resort from $600 not including specials, also supposedly the only good snorkeling on Anguilla
Old Jul 5, 2007, 8:21 am

Anguilla

There is no A/C there. I have stayed there also. I wouldn't really call it child friendly there. As far as snorkleing...there is good snorkeling all around the island. Don't miss Little Bay, which can only be accessed by boat or a rope down the cliff.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

cap juluca questions

what units have kitchens?
how kid friendly is it?
Old Jul 5, 2007, 1:01 pm

Anguilla

The villas have kitchens. I have never had a problem with feeling kids are unwelcome there. The staff is very friendly, the concierge Carol is wonderful. My kids have always been welcome there. There have been other kids for them to play with also. When they were toddlers, I hired someone the hotel recommended to play with them off the beach etc. They do not have a "baby" pool per se, but the pool is barely used. The beach is quite large too.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if just looking at kitchen >

cap juluca from $2270 (pool)

cove castles from $600, 6 nt special from $500, 8 nt special from $450 (with pool from $1200)

villa rental from $600 (pool)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 5, 2007 at 1:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.