Wiki Posts
Search

FS Maui or Big Island

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2007, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1P; SPG Plat;
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
FS Hualalai has 5th nt free from Jun 17, 2007 - Nov 17, 2007

offtopic - wow, do Kea Lani 2BR OF villas really start from ~$1000?
Yes, they do...and up...way up.

Originally Posted by schwarm
Maui: Small space with lots of people.

Hualalai: Large space without many people.

Big Island is far superior, unless you want crowds and loud.
Good succinct description and I agree. We are headed to FS Hualalai for the first time in August; though we have been there for dinner several times over the years. We are displaced Mauna Kea "refugees" and can't wait for our first stay here.

One thing I've noticed in all descriptions of FS BI is that nobody complains about any mad scramble for lounge chairs or cabanas every morning. This alone is reason enough for us to try it. We HATED that about FS Maui. We had to get to poolside/beachside by 7:15 to get anything decent for the day.

Originally Posted by climbermom
Very well put. Service is top notch at both; I think the FS Maui rooms are a bit tired. You can't go wrong at either resort. The FS now manages the hotels on Lanai'i as well -- if it were MY vacation, I'd split the time between Lanai'i and BI.
Welcome to our vacation this summer! ^ We start at Royal Hawaiian for a few days and then migrate to Lanai followed by FS BI.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 2:59 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, AA Platinum, CO Platinum, UA
cant go wrong at FS Big Island

As previous posters have noted, the FS Big Island is superb.
And, I've heard horror stories of the early morning "mad dash" for cabanas and pool side seats at FS Maui--which is not the case on BI.
If you are looking for relaxing luxury, with an attentive staff, you absolutely can't go wrong at the FS on BI!
Old Jun 26, 2007, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by clover
One thing I've noticed in all descriptions of FS BI is that nobody complains about any mad scramble for lounge chairs or cabanas every morning. This alone is reason enough for us to try it. We HATED that about FS Maui. We had to get to poolside/beachside by 7:15 to get anything decent for the day.
There is no mad scramble. However, space is limited, so don't expect to get to the pool at 1PM and effortlessly get a great set of lounge chairs.

We did witness one heated argument between 2 claimants of a prime chaise! The rules are clearly posted. This one was appealed to the manager. From our vantage, one party was pleasant but clearly in the wrong, and the party not in the wrong was a jerk.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by schwarm
There is no mad scramble. However, space is limited, so don't expect to get to the pool at 1PM and effortlessly get a great set of lounge chairs.

We did witness one heated argument between 2 claimants of a prime chaise! The rules are clearly posted. This one was appealed to the manager. From our vantage, one party was pleasant but clearly in the wrong, and the party not in the wrong was a jerk.
I understand that getting there at some reasonable time in the morning is required...but at FS Maui if you weren't there by 7:30 you were out of luck! Those arguments are amazing...just shows that money doesn't necessarily translate to class.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 6:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP 2.5MM, SPG-Plat, HH-Gold, PC-Platinum
I like Maui exclusively. Four Seasons or Grand Wailea
Old Jun 30, 2007, 6:23 am

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
The FS Maui is going to be digging up the main pool and making it an adult only pool in it's place. I have a very reliable source at the FS Maui who told me this in May. He said they will start digging it up this fall. Just a word of noise caution in case anyone is thinking of booking then.

We get the best tidbits of news from him.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 7:32 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt GLobalist
Originally Posted by svenskaflicka
The FS Maui is going to be digging up the main pool and making it an adult only pool in it's place. I have a very reliable source at the FS Maui who told me this in May. He said they will start digging it up this fall. Just a word of noise caution in case anyone is thinking of booking then.
Do you have any more details on this? I've just made a reservation for Thanksgiving week w/ my wife and 3 year old daughter. If the pool is out of commission, the 4S Wailea will definitely not work for us.

Thanks!
Old Jul 1, 2007, 11:24 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP 2.5MM, SPG-Plat, HH-Gold, PC-Platinum
also the kea lani in Maui- Fairmont property
Old Jul 2, 2007, 4:12 pm
In memoriam

I took my husband to Hawaii for 3 weeks for his 50th birthday. He's 62 now - so I can't comment on what is currently going on in terms of hotels (loved the ones we stayed at - but haven't a clue what they're like today). But - if you haven't been to the "Big Island" - well you have to go there. It's an amazing place - big - but not too big. You can easily drive through 3 micro-climates in a day. But why would you want to travel so fast? Spend some days on the beach in the sun. Play some golf/tennis if you care to. Go up into the mountains and look at orchids. Take a day trip to "cowboy country". Maybe take some time to look at a lava flow. We spent about 5-6 days there - and didn't run out of things to do. Liked it a lot better than Maui. Robyn

P.S. I have fond memories of winning a beautiful cigar lei as a prize at our hotel (as well as dinner for 2). Was closest in terms of guessing how many flowers were in the lei. It was still beautiful when I had to discard it 10 days later on our way home (you can't bring plant material like that into Florida).
Old Jul 3, 2007, 6:09 am

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by west_end_NYC
Do you have any more details on this? I've just made a reservation for Thanksgiving week w/ my wife and 3 year old daughter. If the pool is out of commission, the 4S Wailea will definitely not work for us.

Thanks!
You may want to call the resort itself to ask. These things always get pushed back. Ask them when they plan on digging up the adult pool. They are using the same space and adding to the pool.

They will also start charging for cabana's after this is done. That's according to my source who has worked there for years.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 10:00 am

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
FS Hualalai on the Big Island is a lifetime experience.

Hualalai is perhaps the best Four Seasons if not hotel in the world at which we have had the pleasure to stay. We planned this trip for our engagement and it really exceeded all of our expectations. While the hotel is expensive, I really felt that it is an excellent value given the level of service that you receive. The service is exceptional by the standard of Four Seasons around the world and is uniform from check-in to check-out. Moreover, the fact that the resort does not charge for lots of ad-ons and that Hawaii state and resort tax is a relatively low 9% makes this even more compelling.

From your arrival at Kona Airport, the Four Seasons staff is there to retrieve your luggage for you (they stand at the front of the carousel and check EVERY tag until they find yours). The airport is very pleasant and once they find your bag, they load it in your car, taxi, etc. We selected the taxi route in that is was easy and convenient (about $30 with tip). It is interesting to note, that most guests of Hualalai do not rent a car, and the reason has nothing to do with money, but rather that most people have no desire to leave paradise. The resort is truly paradise and a walk beyond the hotel to the many VERY expensive homes ($3 million to $50 million), confirms this.

Upon check-in, you will enter one of the most elegant lobbies and be offered fresh juice, a floral lei and cold towels. The lobby building also has a Jewelry store, Fine Art Gallery, Cultural Center on the lower level and several fantastic views of the ocean. Once you have checked in, you will be whisked away to your room with your bellman on a golf cart. If you have not visited Hualalai, he may give you a brief tour of the resort.

The rooms are fantastic and come complete with a top of the line bathroom, beautiful canopy bed, sitting area, balcony or terrace and flat panel TV. Additionally, you will find many other special amenities such as an in room fridge, iron and other things that you might like if you plan to stay a while. Indeed, many guests return regularly and stay for prolonged periods of time. Our favorite feature was the outdoor lava shower that is shown in our pictures and is akin to taking a shower in a forest. It is amazing that you can take a shower and the flowering plants around you are positioned so as not to be soaked. One warning about the lava shower, the water pressure is very strong, I imagine to help keep things clean.

Below are some of the things that stood out as being particularly exceptional around the resort.

Beach Tree Grill Great menu, food, service and environment. The live music from 6:30 to 8 pm is very pleasant as are the views of the ocean. We ate here many nights and really enjoyed every bite.

The Hualalai Trading Company Everything that you need from souvenirs to soda is here and we enjoyed visiting on a daily basis. If you like soda, they sell it for $1 per can and most items are very reasonable.

The Lava Lounge Walk up the stairs from the Pahu i`a and you will find a wonderful musician at the table, a lovely view of the ocean and some of the best drinks. Check out the Veuve Clicquot Mojoitos. The Lounge also serves nice snacks and deserts.

Romantic Dinner on the Beach - Dinner on the sand with a private server in time to watch the sun set off the coast and looking onto Maul. This was a fantastic experience and our server Duane really made a special evening more special.

Surf, Sand and Stars Barbecue Dinner on the sand with everything in the would you could want. Very festive atmosphere and a bargain at $79 per person.

Big Island Buffet Breakfast at Pahu i`a with a wide assortment of wonderful food. A wonderful value at $29 for the buffet and $39 with mimosas.

Nice Touches (all complementary) Stamped postcards on the beach, fruit kabobs, suntan lotion, cabana service, Evian spritzers, LOccitane soap in all public bathrooms, candles in bathroom.

Hualalai is a fantastic hotel for couples, families, young and old. Many people that we met during our visit return on a regular basis and we could see why. If you have dreamt of Hawaii, of paradise, of life, Hualalai is for you.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 7:29 pm

DH and I stayed at FS Maui 4 years ago, so my recollection might not be up to date. FS Maui was a memorable experience, but I don't remember being wowed by it. It could be that we were there for a wedding, which my husband was in & we had to attend the wedding activities most of the time and didn't feel so relaxed the entire trip.

Our recent stay at FS Hualalai was simply amazing. We stayed at one of the Executive Suites w/ prime ocean view, and although it wasn't cheap it was worth every penny. I got lost trying to find the room on the second day, and I think nearly every staff on the ground stopped to ask my if I needed help. The room is well appointed, and we LOVED the outdoor shower on the lower floor.

You can also check out Hualalai Resorts to see if one of the villas is available.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Cynnamin
DH and I stayed at FS Maui 4 years ago, so my recollection might not be up to date. FS Maui was a memorable experience, but I don't remember being wowed by it. It could be that we were there for a wedding, which my husband was in & we had to attend the wedding activities most of the time and didn't feel so relaxed the entire trip.

Our recent stay at FS Hualalai was simply amazing. We stayed at one of the Executive Suites w/ prime ocean view, and although it wasn't cheap it was worth every penny. I got lost trying to find the room on the second day, and I think nearly every staff on the ground stopped to ask my if I needed help. The room is well appointed, and we LOVED the outdoor shower on the lower floor.

You can also check out Hualalai Resorts to see if one of the villas is available.
Villa? Do tell! As good as the rooms sound at the hotel, the villas must be amazing.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.hualalairesort.com/index....&CategoryID=42
from $1500.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 3, 2007 at 8:38 pm
Old Jul 3, 2007, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
There's really no comparing these hotels directly. They offer very different luxury experiences. The BI is sedate and isolated, while Maui is a large, multi-storied resort complex within a short walk of similar properties. They are both outstanding, but you just need to determine what kind of experience you want. Many want both, and FS has had promotions that include several days at each property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.