Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nambia Hotels?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2007, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K/3MM, AA & DL 1MM, *wood Plat, Hertz Pres.
Nambia Hotels?

Any leads on a lux (or even really great) hotel in Winhoek, Nambia?
Old May 31, 2007, 12:25 pm

Programs: Almost anything with six to twelve steps...
Originally Posted by UA1kMFR
Any leads on a lux (or even really great) hotel in Winhoek, Nambia?
Check out http://www.expertafrica.com/area/Windhoek.htm. When we were planning a trip to Namibia, they recommended Hilltop House. We ended up not going but I have found Expert Africa recommendations to be reliable, so I'd be comfortable with a place they think is good.

For a business hotel, Kalahari Sands might work out for you. Not lux, but supposedly quite decent.

Not sure but I don't think you'll find anything exactly 5-star in Windhoek.

So of the game lodges (e.g. Sossusvlei Mountain Lodge) are a different story...

Cheers,
T.
Old May 31, 2007, 3:43 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, BA Silver, FB Explorer
Boutique hotel which I'd recommend is the Olive Grove but there isn't really anything 5 star in Windhoek.
Old May 31, 2007, 10:18 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Here are three possibilities:

GocheGanas Nature Reserve & Wellness Village - Windhoek, Namibia

Hotel Heinitzburg - Windhoek, Namibia

Windhoek Country Club Resort - Windhoek, Namibia
Old Jun 5, 2007, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

from Thalassa's link
The Heinitzburg Hotel is slightly larger, more formal and in a spectacular location.
it's a Relais & Chateux property
http://www.relaischateaux.com/en/sea...t/heinitzburg/

Elite Traveler recommends the poolside Deluxe rooms
http://www.elite-travelerdigital.com/ - May/June 2007 page 104

edit - the property hairpeace linked appears to be on the coast about 175 miles from Windhoek

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 8, 2007 at 5:11 am
Old Jun 8, 2007, 4:42 am

http://www.burningshore.info/
Old Jun 10, 2007, 9:17 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Review of the Hotel Heintzburg

this is based on a stay there a year ago.

Castle Hientzburg is a member of Relais & Chateaux. The “castle” was built by a German aristocrat in 1914 up in the hills overlooking the city and has been converted into a hotel with 16 or so rooms, built in an annex. Reception, the terrace, restaurant and breakfast room are on the first floor of the original building – I don’t know what is upstairs.

Prior to our departure our tour operator had heard some negative comments about service and maintenance from clients and suggested we try a different property, but I liked the location and look of it so I decided we’d keep the reservation.

Overall the hotel was OK but the service was pretty basic – for instance we had a fax waiting from Skeleton Coast Safaris who arranged the rest of our trip, but they did not give us the fax until check out even though it had been received the morning of our arrival. Service on the terrace for drinks was slow & a bit confused - my husband ordered a vodka martini and they made it with vermouth. The restaurant, however, had very good food (mainly game) and better service, although not up to what we have experienced at Relais & Chateaux properties elsewhere.

With the exception of the restaurant, the rest of the 1st floor rooms in the castle itself looked a little worse for wear – worn carpeting in places, old (but not antique) furnishings. There was no library or common room for people to hang around in. No internet availability. Our room was fine and the bathroom had a separate tub and shower, but nothing to rave about. They had a nice cold buffet breakfast – no menu or hot stuff offered. In the reception area there is a picture of a dashing young German, the former owner, who died of a heart attack at age 40 while climbing Kilimanjaro a couple years ago – I think his widow is carrying on, but we did not see her.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.