Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Peninsula Chicago - know any useful corp/promo IDs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2007, 12:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper

I'm working on a reservation for the Chicago Marathon weekend (Oct. 6-8), so I face the typical low availability, full price situation. Sill, the corporate ID and promo ID fields in on the reservation screen make me wonder if there's anything out there to improve the price or get me an upgrade.

Thanks in advance if you can share any useful codes.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

try Virtuoso or FHR
Old Apr 15, 2007, 3:41 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Originally Posted by dhuey
I face the typical low availability, full price situation.
Virtuoso's rates are lower than rack rate:
Superior = 460 (vs. 525)
Deluxe = 505 (vs. 575)
Grand Deluxe = 585 (vs. 650)
Executive Suite = 715 (vs. 795)
Junior Suite = 830 (vs. 925)
Deluxe Suite = 1055 (vs. 1175)

In addition to representing a 10-12% discount, booking through a Virtuoso agent brings these amenities:
  • Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability (although unlikely if the hotel is full)
  • Daily continental breakfast for two in restaurant or via room service
  • Complimentary pressing of one garment during stay
  • 4PM Late check-out, subject to availability
Old Apr 15, 2007, 5:14 pm

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA
If you happen to be a member of the ABA, they offer a rate through their travel dept for $370 for those dates. I just checked it.
It is a great hotel, we were just there this afternoon. We are staying at the RC across the street for this trip but plan to try the Pen in July on our next trip.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m.photog
If you happen to be a member of the ABA, they offer a rate through their travel dept for $370 for those dates. I just checked it.
It is a great hotel, we were just there this afternoon. We are staying at the RC across the street for this trip but plan to try the Pen in July on our next trip.
Thank you for the idea. Another very helpful FTer sent me the same info. via PM. I splurged with this ABA deal and got an 800 sq. ft. suite with three-directional views for $450 -- during Marathon weekend! I am very surprised by this. I'm getting this suite for $125/night less than the lowest end room.

Is this common for ABA Travel? That deal appears to be way better than Virtuoso, FHR, or even AmEx Centurion.

Given lawyers' personalities, we should be paying extra. Still, I gratefully accept the ABA's fantastic deal here.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 9:20 pm

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA
That is an excellent deal, I'm sure you will enjoy your stay. There are not a tremendous number of hotels in the ABA program but those that are offer excellent rates.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 9:24 pm

Programs: WOH (G)lobotimized, SPG Tarnished Gold
Thank you for the idea. Another very helpful FTer sent me the same info. via PM. I splurged with this ABA deal and got an 800 sq. ft. suite with three-directional views for $450 -- during Marathon weekend! I am very surprised by this. I'm getting this suite for $125/night less than the lowest end room.

Is this common for ABA Travel? That deal appears to be way better than Virtuoso, FHR, or even AmEx Centurion.
The power of purchasing and leverage!

While I think the ABA Chicago Pen. deal is the most dramatic "value", there are other terrific deals, as well. For example, a city view room at the swanky Delano in South Beach goes for > $375 in non-ABA channels; the ABA rate is $250! (It's a pity that the decor is so spartan, but that's for another conversation...)
Old Apr 15, 2007, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

For anyone interested, here's the 2007 list of hotel deals the ABA negotiated:

http://www.abanet.org/mtd/preferred.pdf

If you're not an ABA member, perhaps you have a friend or loved one who is.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Or, for $175 you can become a member of the American Bar Association. That is, assuming you meet the demanding standards of Associate membership:

Become an ABA Associate if you are a lawyer licensed outside the U.S., a legal educator, a paralegal or a legal assistant, a law-office administrator, a law librarian, a consultant, or someone seeking access to the wealth of ABA benefits to develop a competitive advantage in your field.

https://www.abanet.org/join/asc_enroll/asc_enroll.cfm

Now, I don't want to see anyone sign up just to get a great hotel deal. Do this only if you have the guts to seek access to the wealth of ABA benefits to develop a competitive advantage in your field.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 12:08 am

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Or, for $175 you can become a member of the American Bar Association. That is, assuming you meet the demanding standards of Associate membership:

Become an ABA Associate if you are a lawyer licensed outside the U.S., a legal educator, a paralegal or a legal assistant, a law-office administrator, a law librarian, a consultant, or someone seeking access to the wealth of ABA benefits to develop a competitive advantage in your field.

https://www.abanet.org/join/asc_enroll/asc_enroll.cfm

Now, I don't want to see anyone sign up just to get a great hotel deal. Do this only if you have the guts to seek access to the wealth of ABA benefits to develop a competitive advantage in your field.

So, I'm assuming they mean a legal consultant? I'm a financial services consultant, and I do a lot of SOX and BSA work, and my girlfriend will be a Stanford 1L in the fall, so that counts right? Nice discounts!
Old Apr 16, 2007, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ANYONE can sign up??
Old Apr 16, 2007, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
ANYONE can sign up??
Since this qualifies for Associate membership:

"someone seeking access to the wealth of ABA benefits to develop a competitive advantage in your field"

...the answer is yes, anyone. And just think of the fun you'll have pulling out your American Bar Associate card at appropriate times.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 12:56 pm
CMV

Programs: BA Gold, Delta Gold, UA Gold
Originally Posted by cstead
So, I'm assuming they mean a legal consultant? I'm a financial services consultant, and I do a lot of SOX and BSA work, and my girlfriend will be a Stanford 1L in the fall, so that counts right? Nice discounts!
Law students can actually sign up at a considerably lower rate. Definitely worth it for the hotel and Hertz discounts.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 5:17 pm

Love Flyertalk!!!

Just joined the ABA as an Associate member for $175 and saved $555 for a three night stay in Septmeber vs the Virtuoso rate. Thank you all.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by edsanders
Just joined the ABA as an Associate member for $175 and saved $555 for a three night stay in Septmeber vs the Virtuoso rate. Thank you all.
Welcome to the American Bar Association. Can I interest you in attending a traffic court seminar?

http://www.abanet.org/jd/traffic/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.