Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury Hotels in Singapore - worrying, worrying...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Hotels in Singapore - worrying, worrying...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2007, 8:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KrisiO
Then, there was an issue with housekeeping not cleaning our room during the 5 hours that we were out (with the 'make-up room' light on), despite having come in the room and taken our tip!
For goodness sake, please please dont tip housekeeping in Singapore. Save your tips for the US
Old Feb 21, 2007, 8:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Originally Posted by MACH81
Been there at the end of December, one night, club room. Loved it. The room might be a little small, but very comfy bed, nice although small bathroom. Perfect service, including turndown. Club room includes late check-out, they say 6pm but they told me when I checked in that mine was 8pm. really appreciated as my flight was departing at midnight.
Sorry I missed you both at the hotel and at the departure gate. We probably passed each other in the Club Lounge.

I was there a week over Christmas, and liked the place a lot. Club Floor is a must though as the hotel doesn't really, in my opinion, have anywhere downstairs peaceful to sit and relax. The Club lounge is good, if a little chaotic, and therefore, slow at breakfast time which is more to do with the lack of decent facilities for the chefs than the number of people.

Do a search in this forum for Singapore and you'll find plenty of further comment on The Oriental contained in threads.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 9:01 am

Programs: AA 0.4MM, BA G, LH SEN,TK S, HH Dia, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore
Sorry I missed you both at the hotel and at the departure gate. We probably passed each other in the Club Lounge.

I was there a week over Christmas, and liked the place a lot. Club Floor is a must though as the hotel doesn't really, in my opinion, have anywhere downstairs peaceful to sit and relax. The Club lounge is good, if a little chaotic, and therefore, slow at breakfast time which is more to do with the lack of decent facilities for the chefs than the number of people.

Do a search in this forum for Singapore and you'll find plenty of further comment on The Oriental contained in threads.
Was there the 28th till late 29th. Enjoyed the pool on the 29th for 2/3 hrs. Food was good in the lounge, and only once there was a little chaos but not too bad.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by MACH81
Enjoyed the pool on the 29th for 2/3 hrs.
I'm glad you had a more relaxing 29th than I did, I entertained myself by losing my camera
Old Feb 21, 2007, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold, IC AMB, AXP
Originally Posted by mario33
For goodness sake, please please dont tip housekeeping in Singapore. Save your tips for the US
Now now, I know tipping is not customary in Asia. In Singapore, I have both tipped and not tipped. I find that tipping a little usually gets above and beyond service (at least at the MO and the RC). Of course I'm not encouraging others to do so as tipping is not required or expected.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 10:28 am

Programs: AA 0.4MM, BA G, LH SEN,TK S, HH Dia, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by KrisiO
Now now, I know tipping is not customary in Asia. In Singapore, I have both tipped and not tipped. I find that tipping a little usually gets above and beyond service (at least at the MO and the RC). Of course I'm not encouraging others to do so as tipping is not required or expected.
I did tip, even though I had been told I wasn't supposed to. Only once a cab driver wasn't expecting it but accepted. They did not seem offended, I guess they are used to westerners tipping anyway.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 1:10 pm

I have stayed at them all and highly recomend The Valley Wing. The service might not be the FS but the rooms, decor and bathrooms are top notch. Included is an excellent breakfast and afternoon canapes that are enough for a dinner. The only real negative I have with the Shangri-La is their new main restaurant, The Line which gives me a headache.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 3:58 am

Programs: UA, CX, BR
Originally Posted by vienna-resident
Can anybody else comment on the MO which has (according to their website) just completed a major renovation?
There 3 nights earlier this month. Yes, what MACH81 said above. Also a nice cocktail hour in the Club with a different cuisine emphasized each night (Chinese, Japanese, French) our 3 nights. Also, while the gym is only OK, the pool is excellent; it officially closes at 9 but you can use it 24 hours in fact.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 6:52 am

Of all the above mentioned hotels in SIN, which is most convenient as far as location for being a tourist?
Old Feb 22, 2007, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by tbonephile
Of all the above mentioned hotels in SIN, which is most convenient as far as location for being a tourist?
Those close to orchard road I guess...if you like the area. Meritus Mandarin and some other non-luxury like Holiday Inn....
Old Feb 22, 2007, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold, IC AMB, AXP
Originally Posted by tbonephile
It depends on what you like. The marina area hotels (RC, MO) have very nice views, are connected to shopping malls (which in turn are connected to the MRT). The Esplanade and Glutton's Bay hawker center are steps away. There are lots of shopping and good food in the marina area. Taxis to Orchard are very cheap (~5SGD).

The Orchard area is definitely busier, lots shopping and good food. Everytime I go there, the malls and streets are packed with Singaporeans and tourists. That area is good if you like the constant hustle and bustle.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 4:14 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by taipeipeter
There 3 nights earlier this month. Yes, what MACH81 said above. Also a nice cocktail hour in the Club with a different cuisine emphasized each night (Chinese, Japanese, French) our 3 nights. Also, while the gym is only OK, the pool is excellent; it officially closes at 9 but you can use it 24 hours in fact.
THANKS everyone for your answers... greatly appreciated.

It seems that I will be deciding between the Shangri-La Valley Wing and the Mandarin Oriental Club Level. Whichever it will be, I'm already looking forward to my first time in SIN.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Does the MO Club Level still do a guaranteed 8pm check-out? Could swing things for you if you are leaving late.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Does the MO Club Level still do a guaranteed 8pm check-out?
Yes they do.

I'm also noticing substantial increases in room rates from May onwards, anyone else noticed ?
Old Feb 23, 2007, 6:28 am

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Had a great stay at MO SIN club level last October. I loved it...oh boy, these cute dresses those club level ladies wear show so much leg that it looked pretty frivolous for SIN standards...ahem, it was quite a sight ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.