Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Santa Caterina near Amalfi, Amalfi Coast, Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2007, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LHW
Question Hotel Santa Caterina near Amalfi, Amalfi Coast, Italy

Has anyone stayed here? I would appreciated any and all comments.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 3:17 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
The Virtuoso amenities at Hotel Santa Caterina are:
  • Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability
  • Buffet breakfast daily in breakfast lounge/terrace
  • A bottle of Prosecco wine and homemade cookies
  • A fruit basket
  • Gift shopping (value up to US $100 per room, per stay) on local ceramic items in boutique
I've never been to the hotel. When I was in the area, I stayed up the hill in Ravello. There are some incredible properties up there ... and less crowds.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

welcome to FT

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...2&postcount=59
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...73&postcount=2
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...14&postcount=1

Also AMEX FHR property
(upgrade, breakfast, 4PM checkout, 1 lunch)
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:03 am

The Santa Catrerina is one of the best hotels on the Amalfi Coast.

I have not been there, but I know the area.
It really depends on what you are looking for. The hotel is located just outsinde Amalfi in the direction towards positano. this means that, although it is in a nice and relatively isolated position, it is still near the town with its pros and cons.
On the Amalfi coast you have to choose between beeing at sea level (or near) with access to the sea, high on the coast, in a village or total isolation.

The options you have are then:

Santa Caterina, close to the largest town with its own sea access and a spa

San Pietro, very isolated in Praiano (closest village is Positano), with private access to sea, gym, spa and 1 michelin star restaurant

Sirenuse, in Positano, very authentic, no private beach, little pool and very little spa for long time the favourite in the area

Palazzo Sasso recently opened in Ravello (high coast in village) two michelin star restaurant pool and spa beautiful view of the coast given by its higher position on the coast, little spa

Caruso, opened two years ago in Ravello, Orient Express owned, high coast no private beach but pool and beautiful view. a spa possibly opens this year

keep in mind that Ravello is far from everything though so it really depends how much time you want to dedicate to excursions because the come back might last forever after a long day. Positano is very lively and all the boat/bus excursions are easily available there.

Finally on the Sorrento side of the coast you have two more options:
Relais Blue in Termini a newly opened stylish and modern little hotel literally facing capri island in a isolated place on the coast. there is a good restaurant and pool and very close to the villages of S. Agata su due golfi (high coast) and Marina del cantone (sea level) where there are other michelin starred restaurants

Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria in Sorrento which is both in towncentre but has a large private parc to provide you with privacy and isolation. it is the most historic among all of the mentioned hotels, it faces the mount vesuvious and the bay of Naples and right on the cliffs wit its own restaurants, pool, massage center, and a private lift to the harbour in case you need to board a boat to go to capri, napoli, etc. also Sorrento is in the best position to access pompeii, should you be interested and offers more entertainment compared to the other places

In the end they are all very good hotels you will not be at risk!
hope this helps

M
Old Jan 27, 2007, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LHW
Thank you. Great info.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:41 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

any recent experiences here? Considering a stay in October...

thanks
FDW
Old Jan 18, 2013, 4:38 am

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
It is a very charming hotel located just a stroll out of Amalfi. It is a sea front property located on top of a cliff with an elevator taking you down to the platform on the sea.
I would define the service as "genuine". The hotel is family runned and you often encounter the family in the property.
If you are looking for a genuine charming hotel on the amalfi coast this is definitively one of the best option and I don't think you will be disappointed as far as you set your expectation on genuine italian hospitality.
The food is quite ok (maybe better on some other hotel of the costiera).

The platform on the sea take sunshine untill 15 on the afternnon, then the sun disappear behind the cliff....There is even a (very) small pool, more of a big jacuzzi size, located down on the platform. From the platform you jump directly in deep water (well, not deep but you need to swim) and there are one or two stair to climb back on the platform again.
It is not easy to describe rooms as they are located here and there in the property ahd they differ from each other. Definitively they are not on the big size but they are appealing with local ceramics decoration and pastel colours.
I did like one of the junior suite located sea front on a separate building at the end of the garden ( I think there is just two of those) because you really wake up in the morning, you seat on your small terrace and the only thing you see around you is the blu sea.

Let me know if you need more details.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Personally I prefer the area in/around Positano- but everyone has their own preferences.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 3:00 am

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Personally I prefer the area in/around Positano- but everyone has their own preferences.
+1

I prefer Positano to Amalfi. And I prefer Ravello to both Positano and Amalfi.
And Capri will probably top the three of them.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 5:40 am

Programs: AA Exp, UA PP, IC Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Centurion
A very beautiful hotel in an amazing location.
We got upgraded to a very nice corner suite with an amazing view. We got a bottle of champagne, a plate of cookies and fruit in our room. Service was excellent, very personal and everyone was very friendly. I would definitely stay there again.

A few things to consider:
-Our room was right underneath the restaurant and the first night they started moving tables late at night when we were sleeping already. I thought I had a bad dream and was in a war zone.
-I wouldn't want a room facing the street, definitely get a sea view room.
-The formal afternoon tea we got as part of our rate was a cup of tea (hot water plus teabag) and some cookes (same as in room but fewer).

Definitely stay a night in Ravello (e.g. Caruso) and in Capri (e.g. Caesar Augustus), both are amazing. I personally didn't like Positano as much.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: LH Sen, AF/KL gold, AB platinum, BA silver, HHonors diamond, SPG gold, ...
Cove Dei Saraceni

Before you book take a look at Hotel Covo Dei Saraceni (via Preferred Hotels Group) in Positano.
We have no comparison of rooms or service with La Sirenuse or San Pietro, which are supposed to be very good.
The view from the higher location probably is even better than overlooking Positano and the bay from shore level.
But the rooms (especially the ones with terrace), service and breakfast are recommendable and you are located directly at the beach, directly at the ferry pier and it saves you climbing too many steps for most of the great restaurants!

Last edited by PaxCGN; Jan 20, 2013 at 1:58 am
Old Jan 19, 2013, 1:05 pm
BLV

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Originally Posted by The_Daddy
+1

I prefer Positano to Amalfi. And I prefer Ravello to both Positano and Amalfi.
And Capri will probably top the three of them.
Another +1 for Positano (and I stay at Il San Pietro, which isn't in Praiano as mentioned above).

The only way I'd prefer Ravello to the coast is if having ready sea access wasn't important, because no matter how charming that little bird's nest is, it's way too inconveniently located and I could never spend more than a night there.

As far as Capri goes. Someone suggested Caesar Augustus (which is located in Anacapri, all the way at the top, like Ravello) and I'd advise against staying there, not because of its location, but because of its service & dated rooms. Punta Tragara would be my suggestion on Capri.

Last edited by BLV; Jan 19, 2013 at 10:12 pm
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:28 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Amex Platinum, Inspirato, UA Spouse of GS,Amanjunkie,Starwood Platinum,Hyatt Diam
Hotel Santa Caterina (Amalfi)

Hotel Santa Caterina

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Hotel Santa Caterina

Via Freita 9 Valfurva, IT 23030

Hotel Santa Caterina (Amalfi) (0 Photo)

Hotel Santa Caterina

Part 2:
Hotel Santa Caterina (Amalfi):
-Booked through Virtuoso
-Room: Il Pino Suite (Brand new specialty suite not advertised on website yet)
-2 night stay

Summary

Another magical property. More of a resort, with lush gardens, grounds, and spread over the cliffside just a few minutes from the town of Amalfi, yet secluded and peaceful. One can come here and never leave the property as we did (except for dinner one night). Many spend their days down at the beach club/pool area, just relaxing. The highlight of the stay was the suite we had booked - the new Il Pino specialty suite - on the edge of the cliff, totally secluded with incredible views and supremely modern. And huge! This has to be one of the best suites on the Amalfi coast area.

Room

We stayed in the new “Il Pino Suite, which just opened in July 2014. It was an old storage/workshop area for the hotel and they decided to turn it into a suite. We had originally booked their top accommodation, the “Romeo and Juliet Chalet, but then I heard about this new suite from their PR contact in NYC and decided to switch our accommodation. While the “Romeo and Juliet Chalet" has a private pool and is totally secluded and charming, the Il Pino suite is brand new and extremely modern, yet still fits in with the surroundings and has local touches. Modern is what we like and we toured the other suite as well - we are so glad we changed to the Il Pino suite instead. Many pictures of both suites are below, as well as a video of Il Pino. Il Pino has to be one of the best suites on the Amalfi coast, yet is not publicized (not yet at least) and is not even on the hotel's website (which is quite dated). To note, it seems the other accommodations are somewhat tired, but the property and family are constantly investing in updating and renovating, which is great to hear.
Il Pino is located outside of the main hotel, a quick walk through the garden area and you arrive at a small wooden gate. As you open the gate, there are steps leading you down to the suite's entrance on the right. The suite comes with two separate garden areas on two different levels, plus a huge terrace set right on the cliff with nothing in the way of you and the water below. The first garden area sits to the left when you walk down the steps. This area will be renovated in the future to create more usable space (and to potentially add a hot tub). Once you pass the suite's entrance, there is another separate garden area on the left further down the steps with two lounge chairs and also a table and two chairs with incredible views of the water and the town of Amalfi.
The actual suite itself is basically a large, long rectangle. As you first enter, there is a large living room, desk area, and daybed, plus a powder room. Then you pass through to the bedroom; then you have a corridor with a wardrobe unit, storage, and finally enter the bathroom “wing." The bathroom is unique as it has a separate room for the Jacuzzi, which is built into the floor and illuminated by LED uplighting surrounding the entire tub. A window looks out onto another garden. The main bathroom area has a shower with rainhead, one sink, and toilet. And a huge, rectangular window directly overlooking the blue water below as this suite is situated right on the edge of the cliff. And the best part of this suite (there are many) is the terrace that runs the full length of the suite, which is accessible by sliding doors from every room. This terrace has the most incredible views and includes two lounge chairs and a table and two chairs. They again have installed uplighting throughout the floors of the terrace, which makes for a great atmosphere at night. In fact, there is lighting all of the garden areas of the suite and stairway as well.
For those interested in the Romeo and Juliet Suite, I have posted pictures below. This suite, on the opposite side of the property, is totally secluded and reached by walking down a long, private path and comes with its own private, heated infinity pool. The suite is on two levels and, although a bit more dated, has fantastic views as well and the private pool is incredible. It also has pretty cool history in terms of the famous figures who have stayed here in the past. Any questions on either suite, do not hesitate to send me a message.
Video of Il Pino Suite:
Part 1:http://vimeo.com/106246251
Part 2:http://vimeo.com/106457828
Part 3:http://vimeo.com/106128850

Santa Caterina Il Pino Suite Entrance:

Santa Caterina Il Pino Suite Living Area:

Santa Caterina Il Pino Suite: Looking into the Bedroom from the Living Area:

Santa Caterina Il Pino Suite Bedroom Area:

Santa Caterina Il Pino Suite Closet/Wardrobe Area:

Santa Caterina Il Pino Suite Master Bathroom:

Santa Caterina Il Pino Suite Powder Room off Living Area:

Santa Caterina Il Pino Suite Terrace off Living Areas:

Santa Caterina Il Pino Suite Lower Garden Terrace Area:

Santa Caterina Romeo & Juliet Chalet/Suite:

Property

The hotel itself and main entrance sits on the side of the road and you enter the lobby. The lobby, Santa Caterina restaurant, and bar La Terrazza are on this level, while other parts of the hotel (spa, some accommodations in the main building, gym) are below. To get to the beach club area, Al Mare restaurant, gym, you take an elevator built into the side of the cliff down to the water. It is a remarkable setting. Once you take the elevator down, there is Al Mare restaurant and a nice terraced patio and bar which open at night (sometimes with live music). Further down some steps, you reach the beach club and also an informal restaurant where you can order small plates and drinks when you are down at the beach club.

Santa Caterina - Exterior from Sea:

Santa Caterina: Map of Hotel and Specialty Suites:

Santa Caterina:Gardens (looking towards Romeo and Juliet Suite:

Santa Caterina: Lobby Area:

Santa Caterina - Gardens:

Concierge

The highlight of this property is the staff. Everyone is extremely friendly and tries to make you feel like family.

Dining

Our first night, we requested to eat at the more formal restaurant, but they were having a special dinner that evening which was held at Restaurant Al Mare, which is near the beach club. We enjoyed the food and, since we were celebrating our anniversary, they brought out an entire anniversary cake just for us. We also ate all our lunches here at Al Mare. One nice touch was if you have any wine leftover, they are happy to keep it for you for your next meal or send it to your room.

A must try restaurant if you are staying at this property is Eolo in downtown Amalfi. Owned by the GM's sister, this restaurant was a highlight of our trip. The restaurant has outstanding views of the Amalfi harbour and town. And the food was terrific.

Breakfast:Breakfast is served on the main lobby level at Restaurant Santa Caterina and is a full buffet spread and you can also order eggs from the station and they will deliver them to your table. Compared to Sirenuse, the buffet is more expansive, but we somewhat preferred the impressive and elegant display and selections at Sirenuse. But breakfast at Santa Caterina was still very good.

Santa Caterina Beach Club:

Santa Caterina - Restaurant Al Mare:

Santa Caterina Lobby Bar:

Santa Caterina Scenes and View in and around Amalfi Town:

Gym/Spa

There is a small gym near the beach club level which has incredible views out to the sea. The equipment is newer, but the facility seems to be a bit of an afterthought and fairly tiny and not well air conditioned. Probably because most spend their time enjoying the area/property instead of working out!

There is a newer, small spa area as well. Although we did not utilize it, we took a quick look inside. Due to the small size, if you just want to use the facilities (sauna, etc) and not get any treatments, you are charged a nominal fee to do so.

Pool/Beach

The beach club area is one of the highlights of this property. Situated on the sea and extending out into it, it is a great spot to relax. There are many lounge chairs and also a heated saltwater pool, which has a shallow end and then drops off suddenly into a deep end. There is also an outdoor shower, which is great to cool off or rinse off after jumping into the sea. Many people will jump out into the sea and swim around as well. The property offers complimentary noodles and snorkeling gear for you to use. One note is that I found the service here not as good/friendly as the main hotel areas; also, no complimentary snacks brought around like at other top properties, although they would come around and bring pitchers of water/glasses and refill it. Seems the pool attendants did recognize many of the repeat guests and perhaps you just need to form a bond with them over time. The setting of the pool/beach club is just amazing, carved into the rocks and at sea level. This is also where the boats drop/pick up guests for any sightseeing trips/transfers, etc.

Other

Santa Caterina offers a complimentary shuttle/van service to downtown Amalfi, about 5 minutes driving (walkable if you desire but the streets are narrow at certain points and lots of traffic) during certain hours of the day.

We met the GM, Crescenzo, during our stay and he could not have been more hospitable. We even had the pleasure of meeting his mother and one can immediately tell this is truly a family hotel. One night, he treated us to cocktails and snacks and another time sent us an enormous cheese/meat tray and wine (while we couldn't finish the cheese tray, the property gladly kept it and delivered it to our suite at a time of our choosing and set it up on our terrace. The property feels much more like you are visiting someone's home and every guest is their friend, rather than staying at a hotel. You can always see Crescenzo mingling with friends and family on the property. It is no wonder our Virtuoso agent loves this property so much and is such good friends with Crescenzo.

Hotel Santa Caterina (Amalfi)

Would you like to write a review on the Hotel Santa Caterina?

No, thank you.
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.