Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

"The Club" benefits at Small Luxury Hotels--has anyone received them?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2007, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire

Just curious. I see that the really valuable benefit of belonging to "The Club" at Small Luxury hotels is the room upgrade if available. Has anyone had experience with how often this is actually provided? Just curious. Thanks.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

cant say for sure. only been to two so far. the first property only had 1 room type. the second property did not recognize status.

if you want to book a special discount / package through the club website, make sure to email / call the hotel and confirm the rate / package details, otherwise they will probably not receive it. i had that happen over the summer.

i put all the details in my trip report. the property was the hotel brandenburger hof in berlin. fantastic hotel / stay, and price ended up a wash in the end basically.

i am hoping to see about getting the AMEX Plat SLH rate to work though, even though its supposedly only for those outside the US.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I get the suspicion that the benefits are probably rarely given, so probably makes sense to book a cheaper rate through another booking agent than book through the club in the hopes of receiving an upgrade.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

as i said, the rate i booked was discounted. the property has a special package, and the club rate was MUCH cheaper than booking directly.

so its always worth looking, you just have to make sure the property gets the rate information if you end up booking on the club site.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 1:09 pm

Programs: HH Gold SPG Gold Hyatt Diamond Marriott Gold
Several months ago I stayed at the Madison in Memphis, booked through the SLH website. I was given an upgraded room with a welcome note from the manager and a plate of chocolate covered strawberries. That's my only SLH stay since signing up for the club.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

great info lewis!
Old Jan 11, 2007, 3:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Ive only stayed at their Hotel Square, Paris member property since joining, but have always received the SLH 'Club' upgrade.

In fact I get upgraded from a Standard room to one of their suites, i.e more than a 'one-category' upgrade.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 8:32 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, AA 2 million miler,Concierge Key, BA Ex Gold, One World Emerald
I've only stayed at Fort Worth property..The Ashton...great location...wonderful service..granted it wasn't the Four Seasons, but they upgraded and treated me well.....
Old Jan 15, 2007, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. This is good to know!
Old Jan 15, 2007, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
The answer is yes

I stayed at the Hotel De La Paix (highly recommended) in Siem Reap recently and was given a bottle of wine because of my SLH membership even though I did not book through SLH's website.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

welcome to FT Ozchinois, thanks for the post! ^
Old Jan 15, 2007, 6:30 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Have had mixed experiences w/SLH properties. At most, they are unaware of my status before my arrival, although once I make it known a few have done extras.

Poorest experience was at Maison Souvannaphoum in Luang Prabang; booked an SLH special rate inclusive of massage, airport transfers, afternoon tea, etc. Upon arrival, hotel claimed made no mention of the SLH rate, and upon further inquiry, claimed the rate had expired and was invalid.

In the end the GM at the hotel (a great guy) offered me the included items in the package and then some; however, when I took it up with SLH upon my return home, they claimed ignorance.

Bottom line...YMMV w/SLH but I will say their selection of properties tends to be ^
Old Jan 15, 2007, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i ran into the same thing, if you book a special, you have to contact the property in advance and confirm it, because the only thing sent to them by SLH's reservation system is the rate and bed type.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
Thanks Kagehitokiri

I found out about this forum via Fodor's. These forums are so addictive! I have managed to wean myself off Fodor but still pop in now and then when I need to research on my next trip.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 7:27 pm
tjw

Stayed at the Londra Palace in Venice. Received a room upgrade, a welcome note from the manager, a fruit plate and an invitation for two complimentary drinks in the hotel bar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.